Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1 litre of oil per 100 miles S60 D5 185

Views : 906

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2020, 12:25   #1
V6Mark

Default 1 litre of oil per 100 miles S60 D5 185

No external oil leaks, 220k miles - complete cyclinder head rebuild 10k miles ago.

The only fault codes present relate to the DPF:
ECM 2A00 - Pressure sensor signal too high
ECM 2A30 - Particulate trap - Blocked
ECM Exhaust temperature - faulty signal
ECM 2BAA Particulate trap - Value

If oil were running through the Turbo - wouldn't I be getting turbo errors?
If oil were running past the piston oil rings - wouldn't I be getting misfire errors?

I'm getting repeated Soot Filter Full, Engine System Service Required and limp mode. If I accelerate beyond 2000rpm it immediately drops into limp (coinciding with the turbo 'opening' up more).

ECM - Soot mass in particulate filter 11.89g
ECM - Pressure sensor particulate filter 45 hPa

I'm using cheap 0w30 A5/B5 oil

Given I don't have any fault codes outside of the PDF is it feasible that the excessive oil consumption is wholly due to the blocked DPF ?

Remedy - checking PCV system and replacement DPF as a starting point?

cheers in advance
V6Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 20:11   #2
stegreg
VOC Member

First question would be: Any smoke from the exhaust? if the oil is being lost/burnt via the turbo then I would expect some oil coloured smoke if using this quantity.
2nd: how full on the stick are you filling to: if filling to max, ive found mine will loose oil till it levels out at halfway between the marks and it then stays there. maybe don't over fill.
3rd. if egr cooler is blocking/blocked, try removing and cleaning out first....then try some fuel system cleaner addatives to help increase the fuel burn temp to aid clearing out the dpf, before you choose to replace it, sometimes using a fuel addative can work.....no, im not saying everytime, but its a cheaper way to go to start with.
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stegreg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 21:36   #3
V6Mark

Smoke from the exhaust? Not noticed huge amounts at all to be honest

Filling the oil to 3/4 on the marks

I'll clean the EGR cooler this weekend while looking at the turbo oil return

thanks
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 23:01   #4
dingov70
Master Member

Evening , just read this & i would suggest looking in your exhaust . It should be clean or slightly sooty . Any signs of wet oil around tailpipe would suggest turbo leaking on exhaust side , you may then see hazy smoke as oil "burns" off .

You may have a slight leak on the compressor side of the turbo , the spinning compressor then flings the oil outwards as a very fine mist . A very small leak will be burnt by the engine simply as extra fuel . At worst , if the leak becomes greater the engine gets a large supply of very fine , very hot oil mist & a runaway engine results . Burning oil / oil leaking into the exhaust will block the DPF very efficiently .

Cheap or very expensive oil is your call . just make sure it is exactly what is specified & you have
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 23:14   #5
V6Mark

Smoke from the exhaust? Not noticed huge amounts at all to be honest

Filling the oil to 3/4 on the marks

I'll clean the EGR cooler this weekend while looking at the turbo oil return and probably take the turbo off to take a look

thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 00:24   #6
Longhouse21
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Mark View Post
No external oil leaks, 220k miles - complete cyclinder head rebuild 10k miles ago.

If oil were running through the Turbo - wouldn't I be getting turbo errors?
If oil were running past the piston oil rings - wouldn't I be getting misfire errors?

I'm getting repeated Soot Filter Full, Engine System Service Required and limp mode. If I accelerate beyond 2000rpm it immediately drops into limp (coinciding with the turbo 'opening' up more).

ECM - Soot mass in particulate filter 11.89g
ECM - Pressure sensor particulate filter 45 hPa

I'm using cheap 0w30 A5/B5 oil

Given I don't have any fault codes outside of the PDF is it feasible that the excessive oil consumption is wholly due to the blocked DPF ?

cheers in advance
I may be misreading this but I don't think you'd get a misfire issue on a diesel if it were burning oil? If severe, you stand the risk of diesel run-away.
I would think that the excessive oil consumption will be giving the blocked DPF issue, not the other way round?
If there are no visible oil leaks and the engine is using/losing oil, then it seems fairly clear that it must be passing the pistons or valve stem oil seals and being burnt, or possibly passing the turbo seals. Burnt oil will produce carbon and ash...the DPF will accumulate both.
Compression check?
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 09:38   #7
BillDD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
I may be misreading this but I don't think you'd get a misfire issue on a diesel if it were burning oil? If severe, you stand the risk of diesel run-away.
I would think that the excessive oil consumption will be giving the blocked DPF issue, not the other way round?
If there are no visible oil leaks and the engine is using/losing oil, then it seems fairly clear that it must be passing the pistons or valve stem oil seals and being burnt, or possibly passing the turbo seals. Burnt oil will produce carbon and ash...the DPF will accumulate both.
Compression check?
This was the diagnosis for my V70 D5 185 that got to 276k miles before it started behaving as the OP’s S60. We concluded that the engine was worn and was burning oil that was passing the rings. The DPF was catching the smoke but was constantly regenerating until it was full of soot and going into limp mode.
The cause? :- Oil change intervals at 18,000 miles was not frequent enough to cope with the DPF regen loading and my discovery that the garage doing the servicing was using a C3 spec oil 😟 for the 120k miles it did in my hands. I’m sorry to say that the car was not worth repairing.
Bill
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 10:22   #8
Keyholder81

Morning..

A few things to start..

A blocked Dpf will NOT cause oil loss ! Unelss overfilled
A dirty or blocked EGR valve or EGR cooler will not cause oil consumption
Faulty turbo seals wont show faults up either but will cause massive oil loss ( noisey turbo ) ??

Ill shed some light.. A friends volvo same as yours, had a blocked DPF , blocked Intake pipework, blocked EGR filter and it ran perfectly fine for 5 years, without a single oil change or any maintenance ( untill recently) and it was fine. althought the car managed to rev past 4k it didnt go because of the blocked DPF.

As Dingov70 says, check tail pipe, and see if its wet. ( sign of oil consumption. ) This is either due to faulty turbo seals, piston rings, or the engine being overfilled - which we know its not as youve said.

If the DPF is Blocked, ( i bet it is - althought a seperate issue) then IF the engine is overfilled it will start forcing the engine oil out through the breather system ( pcv ) + it would start smoking like a train, and no doubt also give you a run away engine if overfilled.. ( a blocked DPF can increase oil pressure hence why the new refill limit is now 5.8 litres, not 6.3)

Personally Id do it in this order, starting with the cheapest.

Check exhasut tip isnt wet!
Check glow plugs for colour differences, and wetness ( if any )
Compression check. - If okay and we know oil loss isnt through the rings then go onto the next.
Check turbo shaft - check the bearings. - Check by unbolting the cat ( 3 bolts and no doubt they will all snap ) and by removing the intake pipework.. give the shaft a wiggle up and down , forwards and backwards, left and right.. Expect a tiny amount of movement - maybe 1 - 2mm at very most.. any more your bearings are shot or you have a worn shaft ( needs more lube ) hehe

I wont even suggest doing a DPF regen yet untill youve found the source of the oil leak.. When the leaks fixed, Then do a dpf regen Twice.. one straight after the other! ( your regen will take an hour each time)

My money is on either faulty turbo seals or piston ring blow by..

Last edited by Keyholder81; Jan 10th, 2020 at 10:35.
Keyholder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keyholder81 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 12:13   #9
V6Mark

these comments are hugely appreciated - I'll let you know how I get on
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 22:47   #10
V6Mark

Yup - decided to not pursue this any further and part out what I can. Including the brand new clutch.

On the plus side I picked up a 40k mile mint 2004 C70 for the summer!!! So I hope not to be posting problems in that group (maybe some questions)

all the best
Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to V6Mark For This Useful Post: