Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Faulty HU-803 CD changer - any ideas?

Views : 2448

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 23:39   #1
Tony Nicholls

Default Faulty HU-803 CD changer - any ideas?

I have had an S60 2.0T SE since Jan '02, and been generally pleased with the car. However, since mid-May a problem has developed with the stereo system and I wondered if anyone had encountered the same or could offer an educated guess.

The stereo performed perfectly from new until driving in torrential rain one morning in May. An intermittent crackling (like a loose connection to a speaker) developed on the left channel only, which occurred only under acceleration and driving uphill. The problem only affected the CD player, not the radio.

On my first visit to the dealer to have the problem investigated a faulty radio was diagnosed (the fact that the problem occured in heavy rain seems to have been a coincidence), a replacement was ordered and fitted a few days later. Immediately on picking the car up following the repair the problem recurred (did they not test-drive it?), and to cut a long story short, I am stuck at the moment with a non-funtioning CD player in a car that has been back five times to the dealer to have the problem investigated and corrected. As time has passed, the defect has become more severe, occuring under most driving conditions, but still only affecting the left channel. On a couple of occasions I have managed to park with the left channel totally dead - this allowed me to play about a bit and I found that with the balance full left (to cut out the right channel) and the volume VERY high music was JUST audible from the left speakers. I don't know whether this was actually the left channel or just cross-talk from the right.

I would be very grateful to hear any suggestions from anyone who has either had a similar problem or who knows anything about car stereo systems and has an idea what might be going on. The car is due back with the dealer again in a couple of weeks for more "tinkering", but I get the feeling they are now making it up as they go along!

Many thanks in anticipation!!!

Tony.
Old Aug 28th, 2002, 16:01   #2
Mike Clift

Default RE: Faulty HU-803 CD changer - any ideas?

Tony

Make sure they fit a new head unit rather than a recon job.

If all of the left speakers are dead i would then ask for a replacement wiring harness - probably a complete nightmare of a job - followed by replacement speakers.

That seems to be the process of elimination to follow although i suspect speakers are ok as unlikely all would go at once.

Other thing to look at - does it have seperate amps for each channel? Could be one of those has blown a fuse / packed up.

At the end of the day ,the only way to sort it is to get each component replaced one at a time. Bit of a pain, but that's what the warranty is for - the dealer gets paid by volvo.

I suspect another proble you have is the inability of any one at the dealer to understand exactly where all the stereo bits go and how to replace / diagnose them.

Could also ask them to have the car examined, at their expense, at a local qualified auto electrician to see what they can find.

Good luck and post back when they find a solution !

Mike
Old Aug 28th, 2002, 23:29   #3
Tony Nicholls

Thanks for the info Mike. I'll keep you posted about progress.

Tony
Old Sep 5th, 2002, 19:26   #4
tonyflynn1

If it only affects the cd changer and they've already changed the head unit then the fault is I guess either water ingress at the changer or the cable from head unit to the changer. However if you can faintly hear music on the faulty channel at high volume, could be the faulty channel is dead and this is just crosstalk within the head unit or the changer cable is partly adrift, try pushing the changer cable home into the changer. Where is the changer located on an s80? If it's in the boot then it's probably a water problem but if it's under the passenger seat it's probably just a loose cable - caused by a careless umbrella maybe?!? I'd be interested to know the outcome of this.
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2002, 00:05   #5
Tony Nicholls

Water ingress was my initial diagnosis when the fault first occurred, but there was no indication of moisture on examination by the dealer. The CD changer in the S60 is situated behind the fascia, with CD's (up to four) fed one at a time into a slot above the radio controls. It could be that there is a computer-style ribbon cable connecting CD to radio, and that has become loose/faulty, but the dealer claims to have checked the connections.

The car is currently back with the dealer (sixth time) having the changer replaced, so hopefully that will be the end of the problem. If not then I will certainly insist that they pay closer attention to the connection between CD and radio, before insisting on an independent examination of the car as suggested by Mike.

Thanks for your help, and I'll let you know how it turns out - hopefully I'll have the car back in full working order tomorrow evening.

All the best,

Tony

**UPDATE**

The dealer delivered the car back today, stereo in full working order. I have given it a good run and everything seems fine at last. The cause is still a little uncertain, but I think we are putting it down to a dud CD player.

Thanks again guys for your help,

Tony