Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

We Want to Modernise!

Views : 2130

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2006, 18:38   #1
IC
S60R/V70R

Thumbs up We Want to Modernise!

After some thought over the last few weeks I thought that I would ask everybody what they want from the performance section. I've been organising the monthly Crooked Billet meets for over three years now which have been very well supported, however after listening to friends I feel that we need to move forward with the times in offering people the types of activities that would be popular and well supported. The performance section can do a lot more in offering what you want if it is a viable proposition! Please post your thoughts and lets get some new dynamic and fresh ideas to modernise and make things more exciting and appealing!

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

Last edited by IC; May 15th, 2006 at 18:40.
IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 19:59   #2
smartbomb
VOC Member

TRACK DAYS!!!!

Paul
smartbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 20:22   #3
Les, slight limp

Volvo tuning as i see it is split into 2 distinct groups, there's the "already quick but would like to go quicker" group, this is the T5 and later group and the public persona is that they are performance cars, the other group take a "0-60 eventually" volvo and make it quick, or try to, pretty much no aftermarket support, just a group of enthusiastic nuts who share information through the only sites that welcomes them, the 300 & 400's have their own sites and the the 200-700-900's are catered for by turbobricks, i'm afraid the performance section here is seen by the old car lot as a T5 preserve which is a shame.
Les, slight limp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 20:49   #4
IC
S60R/V70R

Thumbs up Thanks Les

Les, thanks for that. I's great to see the owners of all Volvo car types attending meets and events, the Midland's Volvo United meet organised by Duane was an excellent example of people going to a meet with wide range of Volvos - something that needs to be supported and promoted. I for one want to see more rwd owners coming to meets - let's change that perception of the performance section being the preserve of only fwd cars! I for one will be at the Midland's Volvo United meet on Sunday - see you there!

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 20:54   #5
Rooster
Speed freak

I agree altho there is alot of people with T5's put there nowerdays,

I think track days might be taking it a little far but what about say quater mile sprints etc with Fwd vs Rwd or T5's vs T4's etc, plus there is loads of dragways over country so it could be done in regions,

If people want to take things a tad further what about say a day at bruntingthorpe proving group etc
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 21:15   #6
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC
the Midland's Volvo United meet organised by Duane was an excellent example of people going to a meet with wide range of Volvos - something that needs to be supported and promoted
thanks for the compliment Iain but i only suggested the idea, the meet organised itself between everyone then. But i agree lets keep the wide scope of Volvo's coming
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 22:29   #7
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Couple of ideas I thought might be worth putting up for others to discuss / attack. Of course the workload involved for the organisers would have to be considered in all of these.

I know it's come up in a couple of other places but how about some sort of advanced driver training? Could be linked or have optional add-ons such as some on-track time or skid pan or similar maybe.

Pistonheads seems to organise quite a few events, including an annual booze up / dinner and dance type thing. Photos imply the participants have a good time and might be a way of getting other halves to stop complaining at us (not speaking from experience here at all, oh no!!)

I've seen a few "group purchase" type deals on other sites - not sure if that would work (maybe too many varieties of Volvo to get the volumes up) - but I add it into the mix for others to shoot at.
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 23:43   #8
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

A day at a skid pan would be fun, or failing that does anyone know of a large expanse of tarmac that I can play on when it's raining??
Old May 17th, 2006, 16:16   #9
NugentS
Me

OK - my ideas:

On road advanced driver training - some sort of link with ROSPA or IAM.

Some fun days as follows:
Track days - in ones own car (not for me)
Track days - in other cars (I am up for this)
Skid Pan / Car control days - either own car or provided

And the off the wall idea - a forum T5 that we collectively pay for and can track as a group rather than our own cars (if willing)

Sean
NugentS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 20:48   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

A RWB sound a good idea. Don't go for a FWD v RWD as all the FWD chaps will get peed off loosing
No you dont want to start spliting the two groups any further but bring them together.
Why not North v South or better still go for personal best ET's.
Another good idea would be a dyno day well worth it for all involved - find out if those mods have raly paid off.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote