Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2011 D5 (D5244T18) timing marks

Views : 1204

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2021, 15:02   #11
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
It was another post where a volvo tech had said they changed at second timing belt change i was going by.
But regardless I wouldn't always go by the dealers. Does volvo not say that their automatic gearbox doesn't need serviced but we all know it does and can end up very expensive.
I would apply the same principle for a water pump. For all the cost of it. Again the consequences of what happens if it does go wrong.
No one can guarantee the pump or will stand over the damage. So best to keep yourself right.
Save the money somewhere else where genuine parts aren't required and if it does go wrong your car isn't scrap.
This is the one place you dont cut corners
I’m not aware of the water pump being changed by Volvo at the second timing belt change.

The original water pumps are extremely reliable, hence why they there isn’t so much of an emphasis to change them (providing its the original one).

I wouldn’t change a perfectly working pump just for the sake of doing it. Volvo water pumps don’t just fail instantly & explode into pieces… there will be some kind of groaning noise to pre-warn you that something is wrong. As I said, there’s plenty of D5’s with original water pumps still installed that have near or over 200,000 miles on them.

Yes, if you want peace of mind, change it. There’s no need to though if the original isn’t leaking or making noises.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 17:14   #12
robsterpaterson

Thanks for the replies folks. One kinda answered my question about the timing marks before it descended into a should I/shouldn't I over the pump.
For closure...I will. Probably
'01 ZX12R
robsterpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 01:36   #13
dambat

To further complicate the decision, you can do the timing belt without removing the crank pulley, which means you can't see the crank timing marks, but can see the cam marks (which are the critical ones anyway since unless you're really rough, you won't move the crank, and should mark it anyway).

There are a few threads on this, but happy to add detail if required, since I did my belt this way.
dambat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 22:09   #14
robsterpaterson

Indeed, I've seen that mentioned and watched an unsuccessful YouTube clip. I've got a new nut and the holding tool so I may as well remove the pulley. Also gives me an excuse to buy an impact gun
'01 ZX12R
robsterpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote