Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice guys on MP3'ing my S60

Views : 1174

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:45   #1
MartyS60

A bit of advice would be appreciated. Has anyone removed their factory h/u and put in an aftermarket? I have read elsewhere on the net that you have to get the $tealer to 'switch off' the h/u first... is this true? I have also read that to remove the factory h/u (in my case an 803) you have to tamper with some other vital organ which will result in an error message that you have to then get the $tealer to reset?

I am looking at various options - I have established with the help of Des (CTCN) that I do NOT have a changer lead in my boot..

1. I have a nearly new Alpine MP3 h/u and Alpine 6 disc MP3 changer - so I could put the lot in with a fascia plate, wiring adapter and aerial adapter. Hence the above questions...

2. I could leave the 803 in place but get a wiring adapter with an Alpine ai-net out and use my Alpine changer. Hence the above questions...

3. Buy a Dension Ice Link to link my iPod to the existing set up. Still have to connect to the aerial input, though, so...hence the above questions!!

4. Leaving well alone and living without MP3....

I have been looking around lots of ICE sites worldwide and it would appear that if you want to make life hard for yourself, buy a Volvo!!

All assistance gratefully received!!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 16:58   #2
Ravage

You could always buy the official Ipod adaptor from the volvo dealer. That's the first thing I am doing once my volvo is in my hands.
Ravage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 17:13   #3
imac
Premier Member

Don't get an aftermarket stereo! The HU803 is one of the best fitted systems ever, and you'll have to spend an awful lot of cash to beat it going aftermarket.

As previous poster, I'd get an iPod and either play it through the head unit via an iTrip (local FM transmitter) at about <£40 or getting the head unit set up so you can play your iPod through it directly. (Hardwired from Volvo cost ~£300)
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 19:09   #4
MartyS60

Cheers guys! The Griffin i-Trip, anyone know what the sound quality is like? I bought a cheap n' cheerful (and probably illegal!) FM modulator type 12v plug in charger cradle thingy off eBay and it is CR4P! the frequency range is 88 ~89 FM which, if I'm not mistaken, is Radio 2 territory! £300 is out of my price range, I'm afraid, even after selling the Alpine gear...
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 19:20   #5
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyS60 View Post
Cheers guys! The Griffin i-Trip, anyone know what the sound quality is like? I bought a cheap n' cheerful (and probably illegal!) FM modulator type 12v plug in charger cradle thingy off eBay and it is CR4P! the frequency range is 88 ~89 FM which, if I'm not mistaken, is Radio 2 territory! £300 is out of my price range, I'm afraid, even after selling the Alpine gear...
I've not used an iTrip in my car before, but a chap at work uses one in his car and is pleased with the quality. It doesn't have a great range and therefore shouldn't affect anyone outside the car even if they're trying to listen to something on the same frequency.

It would be my weapon of choice as, like you say, the £300 Volvo want is a little steep. Mind you, half of that is installation labour charge.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 22:45   #6
itsamac
Volvo Driver

Default Griffin iTrip

I bought the latest Griffin iTrip off eBay for just under £30. It works a treat. In terms of sound quality, it really depends on where you live and the signal you are trying to lock in to. If you buy it, be sure to change the sound to LX mode (stereo) otherwise it sounds pretty crap (it is shipped in DX mode - mono - from the factory).

I have mine on 90.5. When I leave my house in SE London, there is a little bit of interference (there is literally a station of every frequency on the FM dial in London) but as I head towards in the M25, its a bit better than FM quality. It also depends on the quality of your MP3's. I would encourage you to get your MP3's in at least 192Kb/s or higher, or you could use Apple's Loseless AAC format.

Overall, I am really happy with the iTrip. Kiss FM is great but its repeativiness was beginning to wear on me. It also means I can use my iPod at work when I need some quiet time to focus on the task at had. Also, when you switch off the car, it pauses your iPod so it will save the battery.

The only thing I would say is be sure to have it (the LCD display if you get one of the newer iTrips; the older one was just a cable) hidden in the centre cup holder or something. Not trying to encite paranoia, just dont want anyone to get busted for transmitting copyrighted music.

just my 2p worth
itsamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:30   #7
akash

Like itsamac, I've done the same but I'm not happy with the interference at all... and I dont like the fact I cannot control the tracks without having to look down a fair bit

What I am doing is for the moment, using the itrip method, however, in the next few months... pioneer released a double din screen for nav, mp3, ipod, bluetooth the lot really
its a bit expensive hence atleast a few months but it will be worth it

I'll get that fitted to sort all my issues out with sound. most likely get two screens at the back too

If this goes to plan, I will post pics as per normal but for now, itrip it is
akash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:37   #8
Hashluck

I don't have an iPod so am not really qualified here but surely the proper Volvo install is the way to go (assuming it is nicely integrated, I use the (even more expensive) Volvo Digital Jukebox, badged from Phatnoise and it works really well).

By phoning around I am sure you van get the price down and if you keep the car for two years then it amortises to less than the cost of a newspaper each day for easy to use, no interference, all your music on tap! Surely worth it?

And you can take it with you presumably.
Hashluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 14:09   #9
Brianvl

Hi

I have used a friend's iTrip before and it was terrible. I live in Hong Kong though so the radio frequencies here are obviously very different, but overall I was well disappointed.

I have now installed the Volvo iPod connector. Sounds quality is fantastic, and its convenient in the sense that you can control through the steering wheel buttons and also the buttons on the head unit itself. However, there is a downside - you can't see the name of the song, and also you need to set up special playlists otherwise it will be hard to find the song or album you want.

In terms of style though, its a winner cos all wires and ugly parts are well hidden.

Brian
Brianvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 15:43   #10
Hashluck

Sounds very similar to the Digital Jukebox integration but you can press one of the buttons and get a voice read out of current artist, album, genre or all of the above and/or you can create your own playlists easily. I just rip my CDs and leave it in random occassionally pressing the button to remind myself who it is sometimes. Great way to rediscover your music collection. If I was younger and keener I would make my own playlists just like making old tapes up I guess.
Hashluck is offline   Reply With Quote