Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v50 1.8 Petrol Temperature

Views : 1143

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2012, 13:14   #1
limster

Default v50 1.8 Petrol Temperature

my temperature never goes above half way on the dash dial, and i have the torque app on my phone which has never been over 84° , is this correct as i have never seen the radiator fan kick in, unless the air con is running.
i am suspecting faulty engine temperature sensor as i have slight misfire once engine is hot.
limster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 13:24   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

Try a new thermostat as the engine will be over-cooling if the stat is jammed open - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 14:53   #3
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Try a new thermostat as the engine will be over-cooling if the stat is jammed open - Mike
Then the dial would react as the engine wouldn't get to temperature (12 o clock) in the first place.

@ limster

Absolutely normal! The temp gauge will sit at 12 o clock unless something is REALLY damaged. The engine temp itself will be between 82° and 90odd°. If the needle sits constantly whilst driving at 12 then all is fine. If it moves PAST it, then the engine is in massive problems. If it goes down a little, then it is overcooling but that is very rare and only ever happens in temperatures below freezing and at high speeds.

If it heats up to normal operating temperature within say 3 miles (max.!) then the engine is at best health. The 1.8 is when it comes to cooling a very troublefree engine.

The misfire can come from a faulty coil pack. Being a Ford illness, these packs regularly tend to pack up. I've been lucky so far and have no issues with them... But some people have had it a lot lot ot earlier...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 14:57   #4
mikealder
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Then the dial would react as the engine wouldn't get to temperature (12 o clock) in the first place.
The gauge will read "normal" 12 o'clock from anything around 65 deg C up to around 108 deg C I have tried this with a resistance decade box in lue of the engine temp sensor and an OBD-II reader to see what the ECU thinks the temperature is whilst sat in the car watching the gauge and altering the resistance values.

The only real indication of the stat being jammed open is if the engine takes longer than a few miles to get to normal temp - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 15:11   #5
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by limster View Post
my temperature never goes above half way on the dash dial, and i have the torque app on my phone which has never been over 84° , is this correct as i have never seen the radiator fan kick in, unless the air con is running.
i am suspecting faulty engine temperature sensor as i have slight misfire once engine is hot.
all sounds perfectly normal to me in that it should sit just below 1/2 way as that is overall water temperature not petrol.

the air conditioning at slow or standstill will activate the fan to keep air being drawn in for the aircon at steady speed though it will stop due to air flow.

however as stated if slow warming up then you have a problem.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 17:43   #6
limster

Thanks for the great replys, the cooling seems fine as warms upto 12 o'clock within 3 miles and stays there.
The problem is when driving from cold all is great , but about 3 miles in and on the motorway I am watching my air intake temp which starts off around the same as ambient temp but then suddenly rises to say 20+ degrees over ambient within a minute, during this increase the car feels and stays like its misfiring, when coming off the motorway the intake temp goes down slightly which seems backwards to me ,I have replaced the intake sensor, I have also just replaced both o2 sensors due to codes, which has improved the car considerably. I have put a ohms meter on the coils and all seems ok there, but I will look into this area again. I am worried it could be the catalytic converter being plugged but don't know how to test this, I also have an - i/m readiness : egr status - incomplete, but may not of driven enough to set this
limster is offline   Reply With Quote