Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

OEM parts warranty ripoff?

Views : 764

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2017, 08:43   #11
kenny
Master Member

I can't believe your moaning about the pump failing when you still don't know what has failed.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 14:09   #12
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
I can't believe your moaning about the pump failing when you still don't know what has failed.
Im "moaning" about the general fact of having only 1 year warranty on parts that elsewhere have 2 or lifetime, and if you had read my posts more carefully maybe you would notice that. In my first post I said that regardless if it IS or ISNT the pump itself, I'm negatively surprised about the warranty period on ANY part offered by Volvo Ireland. My personal opinion that Im entitled to.

But nevermind that.

To follow up with the actual issue - car is fixed, my wallet thinner but atleast its all sorted.
My mechs told me it was in fact the pump itself. I took it home and did some photos, marked with the arrow the place they pointed out it was leaking from. Im not mechanic myself, cant really inspect it more than having overall look at, but when I try to "wiggle, twist n turn" the pulley around, there is slight slack unwanted movement felt.

Pump is from 2013 or something and clearly Volvo OEM one so now the question I keep asking myself is:
a) was the actual pump faulty and was I just unlucky?
or b) was it something that happened premature wear, like TB tension not right or something.
c) did me adding "radiator cleaner" just before flushing coolant made it de-seal or it just made the inevitable happen quicker.

Moral to the story?
..dunno...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170925_203446.jpg (148.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170925_203344.jpg (103.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170925_203400.jpg (116.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170925_203417.jpg (116.2 KB, 10 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 14:29   #13
domhart10
Volvo S40

that's really unlucky, if it is faulty I think Volvo should be approached because that should not happen .... parts should not be made to last just over a year. The fact that its an OEM part should mean it should last as it has been tried and tested with the car to last.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 14:30   #14
dme123
Master Member

The reason they don't offer longer warranties on aftermarket parts is because cars over 3 years old are more likely to suffer damage to one part through an unrelated part (your tensioner issue), or owners put additives in the coolant that might damage the pump. Or parts are often ineptly fitted, leading to premature failure.

You've basically answered your own question as to why they don't offer longer warranties on parts for older cars! When you DO have a warranty on a part you often have fun and games proving that the part failed due to a fault rather than being damaged by something else anyway.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 11:16   #15
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
The reason they don't offer longer warranties on aftermarket parts is because cars over 3 years old are more likely to suffer damage to one part through an unrelated part (your tensioner issue), or owners put additives in the coolant that might damage the pump. Or parts are often ineptly fitted, leading to premature failure.

Sure, agreed. Wouldnt even comment on that issue if it was done by indie garage using motor factor parts. But the fact that it was a "proper" work carried out by authorised Volvo Dealership using "proper" volvo parts should IMHO give you more options if anything happens than just simple "nope, sorry, 1 year passed, f**off , not interested...".

On the sidenote - considering that current kit is no longer OEM brand, with Dayco belt kit and FAI waterpump (didnt have much control over parts in this time), what is adviseable next TB change ? I would assume the interval is decreased when using non OEM parts?