Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stuck Emegency Brake - during cold weather

Views : 1158

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2018, 19:19   #1
Scottb

Default Stuck Emegency Brake - during cold weather

We love this car, but the intermittent locking of the emergency brake during cold weather is difficult. It usually happens when the car is left over night. The solution for us has been waiting until the car warms up and the emergency brake releases. The dealership has not been of any help. Has anyone found a real solution? Perhaps this would be a good use for Elon Musk's flame thrower.

Last edited by Scottb; Jul 30th, 2018 at 19:42.
Scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 19:30   #2
Sysyphus

No answer for you, sorry, but replying to track this thread because I have had the same issue with my 2009 C70, most commonly when leaving work after second shift in the dead of winter
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sysyphus For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 11:28   #3
iainmd

I guess one solution might be to leave it in gear (or Park if it's and Auto) and leave the handbrake off. Only really viable if you're parking it on the flat.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 15:41   #4
Sysyphus

Yeah... but that’s just a workaround rather than a solution... and it’s no good until you unlearn the reflex action of shifting into park and applying the handbrake
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 12:21   #5
olliemayo

Is it the mechanism that seizes up or the pads? The car is designed by a Swedish company a bit of cold weather shouldn't be a huge issue!
olliemayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 00:52   #6
Sysyphus

With mine it's the lever that refuses to move down... feels as if the ratchet fails to disengage when pushing the button. Only ever happens when it's really cold, seems to fix itself once the car warms up.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 10:58   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysyphus View Post
With mine it's the lever that refuses to move down... feels as if the ratchet fails to disengage when pushing the button. Only ever happens when it's really cold, seems to fix itself once the car warms up.
see your dealer , there is a bulletin on this , you can adjust something on the lever to make the button more "active "
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 10:59   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottb View Post
We love this car, but the intermittent locking of the emergency brake during cold weather is difficult. It usually happens when the car is left over night. The solution for us has been waiting until the car warms up and the emergency brake releases. The dealership has not been of any help. Has anyone found a real solution? Perhaps this would be a good use for Elon Musk's flame thrower.
It is probable the pads rusting to the discs overnight , Are you sure you are using genuine Volvo brake pads ?