Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel bearing GEN2 tool

Views : 8828

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2018, 10:37   #1
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Default Wheel bearing GEN2 tool

This weekend I am likely going to be doing the front passenger wheel bearing on my S40 T5. As someone who can't stand letting other people work on my car, I thought I'd just buy the tools to do this myself.

After initially thinking I'd need a hydraulic press, I did a bit more research and found that the easiest way to do these is with a 'GEN2' Ford/Mazda/Volvo 78mm wheel bearing tool.

On these cars, the hub and the wheel bearing come as one unit that must be pressed into the steering knuckle. The steering knuckle can bend if you use a hydraulic press, so you are supposed to use this type of tool. The tool both extracts the old hub/bearing and also installs the new hub/bearing.

I've purchased the below tool on ebay for £72.00. Worth noting that the bigger P3 Volvo's of this era (XC60, S80,V70 etc) and larger Fords of the EUCD platform need the larger 82mm tool.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheel-Hub...4AAOSwVL1V~C9S

I have paired this with an SKF front wheel bearing/hub for around £60

This tool seems to make front wheel bearings incredibly straight forward and can be done without needing to remove the knuckle from the car.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I'll post updates on how this goes on my own attempt.

Last edited by T5R92011; Jul 31st, 2018 at 10:40.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 11:48   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
This weekend I am likely going to be doing the front passenger wheel bearing on my S40 T5. As someone who can't stand letting other people work on my car, I thought I'd just buy the tools to do this myself.

After initially thinking I'd need a hydraulic press, I did a bit more research and found that the easiest way to do these is with a 'GEN2' Ford/Mazda/Volvo 78mm wheel bearing tool.

On these cars, the hub and the wheel bearing come as one unit that must be pressed into the steering knuckle. The steering knuckle can bend if you use a hydraulic press, so you are supposed to use this type of tool. The tool both extracts the old hub/bearing and also installs the new hub/bearing.

I've purchased the below tool on ebay for £72.00. Worth noting that the bigger P3 Volvo's of this era (XC60, S80,V70 etc) and larger Fords of the EUCD platform need the larger 82mm tool.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheel-Hub...4AAOSwVL1V~C9S

I have paired this with an SKF front wheel bearing/hub for around £60

This tool seems to make front wheel bearings incredibly straight forward and can be done without needing to remove the knuckle from the car.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I'll post updates on how this goes on my own attempt.
sometimes you need between 8 and 10 tons to press the bearing out , hopefully your tool can cope ! Yes you are supposed to use a press when you use the proper volvo tools .
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 12:34   #3
parallaxerr

That looks like a good tool, I'll watch this thread with interest to see how you get on as I have the same "issue" with other people working on my car! Good luck with the job
parallaxerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 12:50   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I did the front wheel bearing on Mrs T's V50 a few months ago, I had previously bought a hydraulic press on e-bay for around £170.

Just as Clan said - the it got to over 8.5 tons before the old bearing cracked off and started to move. After that getting the old one out and the new one in was easier.

however, not having to remove the strut bottom clamp bolt would be a bonus as these sometimes sheer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jul 31st, 2018 at 12:52.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 20:50   #5
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Just did the fronts on my V50 last week.
I used FAG bearings.
The motor factor hires out the Gen 2 kit. Very similar to the one you have but was a Laser one.
Worked great but did need a lot of force.
The 2 bearings I took off were FoMoCo on the nearside(the noisy one) and a FAG one on the offside.
I assume the FoMoCo was original and the FAG a replacement. I have had the car 10 years and not changed them before. So must have been done prior to my ownership.
I did have one problem!!
One of the new drive shaft bolts sheared when I did the 90 degree turn. Panic!!
Luckily 5 mm was sticking out from the drive shaft.
Removed shaft from hub and tried molegrips, just started breaking away. Wondering about removing driveshaft so I could drill it out.
Had a thought, Locktite. The bolts are loctited in so I tried a small blow lamp on the end of the shaft and the bolt just easily unscrewed. I assume it was the old set loctite and the new stuff binding up that caused it to shear. The new bolts were no where as good as the volvo ones, looked a lot weaker. I removed the other drive shaft bolt. I then ran a tap in the thread in the shaft to clean out the old hard loctite and then reused the original Volvo bolts with new Loctite. I know they should be changed but everywhere was shut by then.
Good luck
Iain

Last edited by IainG; Jul 31st, 2018 at 20:53.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 22:51   #6
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Well here's my cheapo tool, it's much heavier than I'd imagined...£72 is still a lot for a tool that you aren't going to use that often, though it isn't the £250 you can pay for the Laser version!

Will try it out over the weekend.

The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 20:29   #7
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Ok, so I fitted the new bearing this weekend with 50% success using this tool (I will explain further down)

Things you will need that don't come with this kit:

- Moly grease (this must be used on the threads on the large center bolt, for every use) - £7 from eurocarparts (£5 if there is a sale on)
- 22mm socket.
- 30mm spanner.
- Decent length breaker bar.
- Driveshaft bolt - Volvo Part Number 30640878 (Ebay showed them as black XC90 bolts, but grey one arrived which matched what came off the car).
- New wheel bearing/Hub complete unit (I bought an SKF one, which came with a driveshaft bolt that DIDNT match the one that came off the car?? (see above note!)

Once you've gotten to the stage where the caliper, caliper bracket and brake disc and brake disc shield are removed (and out of the way!) just do the following:

- losen the tie rod nut, few medium taps with a hammer will pop the spindle out.
- Remove ball joint nut

To remove the bottom ball joint spindle from the steering knuckle, just smack the side of knuckle with a heavy hammer and it will break loose, you don't need a ball joint tool (besides, I have 3 ball joint tools and non of them fitted anyway!)

Push down on the control arm and you should be able to get the ball joint out of the knuckle. Use impact wrench to remove center driveshaft bolt (if no impact wrench, pop out the centre wheel cap and loosen while car is on the ground!)

From here you can then carefully tap the driveshaft out slightly, then pull the knuckle towards you to help the driveshaft come all the way out.

Assemble the tool by following the paper instructions (they aren't great).

Now comes the body building part... use your breaker bar to twist the central nut, while counter holding the rear with a 30mm spanner. Takes a fair bit of effort, took me about 2 minutes of work in total. Switched to a wrench near the end.

+ YouTube Video

Now...re-installation, this is where things didn't go to plan. This tool should allow you to re-install the bearing by using the second set of clamps that should clamp around the back of the bearing... however, the installation clamps in my kit just did not quite fit behind the bearing. I don't know whether this was a bearing problem, or a problem with the kit. I have a feeling my kit had the wrong installation clamps, because removal worked fine.

So, I had to remove the the rest of the hub and take it round the corner to F1 auto centers to press the new bearing in. Chap said it took 15 tonnes to push it in. Impressed with the kit's ability to remove the old bearing...

I have no doubt whatsoever that this kit CAN press the bearing in, I just could not get those installation clamps to fit around the new bearing (or even the old bearing that came out).

So my advice would be to perhaps RENT or buy the Laser version as you'd expect less inconsistencies with the included parts etc. To be honest, I think I could have ground some of the installation clamp surface to make it fit, but I shouldn't have needed to do that.

All in all however, I would say these tools DO make this job much much quicker in that you don't need to remove the hub. So I would definitely try this again (perhaps with a rented tool) when I do the other side wheel bearing in a few weeks!

Tips if you have to remove the hub

- Hit the diagonal edge of the steering kuckle repeatedly, to seperate it from the shock absorber. You will see the knuckle gradually edge it's way out from the base of the shock absorber.
- When re-installing, jam something into the 'jaws' of the shock absorber clamp to keep them apart enough to facilitate installation... You will still need to wack the underside of the knuckle to fully seat the shock absorber.

Last edited by T5R92011; Aug 4th, 2018 at 22:34.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 19:52   #8
FracturedButWhole

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but...
The reason why Gen2 tool did not work with aftermarket wheel bearing, is wheel stud heads sticking too much out of the flange surface. That makes it impossible to install "push-in" clamp fully and lock it in position.
Ask me how I know..?

Now... off to ebay to search for compatible ones. Unless someone here can recommend one? With no luck I may try to swap wheel studs, cumbersome, but doable.

Thank you in advance.
FracturedButWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 02:07   #9
Colinurquhart

I'm looking at wheel bearing kits too but after reading this review its left me wondering. I've seen the same kit for around £57 but can't justify the laser price tag.
Colinurquhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 11:00   #10
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

If I still have my old hub lying around, I will see how easily those studs come out.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post: