Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rattling sound when driving (outside)

Views : 6776

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 08:51   #1
StatusRed
Premier Member

Question Rattling sound when driving (outside)

Hi,

For the past few months I've noticed a rattling sound coming from my car. You can't hear this sound when the windows are closed but when they're open it's quite noticeable and I'm sure people outside the car would be able to hear it. It's worse when driving over bumps and uneven roads, sounds like something is loose but I'm pretty sure I tried seeing if there was any "give" in the exhaust a while ago to see if this was the issue but I don't think so.. I'm not sure if it's coming from the front or the back of the car.

It's got through an MoT while I've noticed this sound so I don't think it's anything dangerous but it's just irritating to me.

Hm.. any ideas?

Cheers.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak

Last edited by StatusRed; Nov 2nd, 2015 at 09:28.
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 08:57   #2
domhart10
Volvo S40

impossible to know unless you know where the sound is coming from.

do some checks yourself? is the rattling only on driving? or can you hear it just on acceleration? when did you notice it? and have you been off road with it or anything ... gravel roads etc
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 09:34   #3
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
impossible to know unless you know where the sound is coming from.

do some checks yourself? is the rattling only on driving? or can you hear it just on acceleration? when did you notice it? and have you been off road with it or anything ... gravel roads etc
It's only on driving, I don't think it's anything to do with acceleration, just seems worse on more uneven ground which makes me think something is just loose. I haven't been offroad with it or anything like that.

A while ago I made a post about my passenger side splash guard being cracked and I thought that was the cause but that's since been wire tied up securely by the garage and the sound is still there so I think it's something else (this was about 2 months ago now). I've also laid by the side of the car and tried moving things on the undercarriage but everything seems firmly in place (could it be between the underside covers and the chassis? - I don't know what sort of parts are in that area).

Maybe something is loose in the engine bay? But I can't think what would be.

I want to check the exhaust again (entire length of it) but by the time I get back from work it's getting dark and the exhaust will be hot :/

Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 10:20   #4
Bungo
Premier Member

Have you checked springs and struts ?
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 10:26   #5
Welton
Premier Member

I had a metallic 'clanging' sound when going over bumps and it turned out to be a snapped spring on the rear suspension. Typically the last 3 or 4 inches at the bottom of the spring snap off and sit in the cup and rattle around. Sounded like someone tapping the suspension with a hammer.

Other than that maybe check for a loose heat shield catching on the exhaust?
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 13:14   #6
StatusRed
Premier Member

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at the suspension springs / struts (but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.. I'm by no means a mechanic, I'm guessing it will be obvious if something has snapped?).

I'll check the heat shield too.

Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 13:34   #7
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Thanks guys. I'll take a look at the suspension springs / struts (but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.. I'm by no means a mechanic, I'm guessing it will be obvious if something has snapped?).

I'll check the heat shield too.

Im no mechanic either but yeh to me I think everything seems fine ... if somethings broke or gone wrong you would of either noticed that something has changed a lot or the car would be saying something. I have had random rattling noises from stones stuck to accidentally dropping a knife through the pipes in the engine bay (Started trying to tie things to my arm if im playing around there)

you know your car best, so if in doubt I always take my car to the dealer as you get a nice courtesy car while they investigate for free. So its really no hassle at all.

It should really be obvious if the exhaust is loose, but to me the rattle would either be as the other guys say
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 13:54   #8
iainmd

Have you tried checking how secure the rear silencer heatshield is? Mine keeps coming loose and rattling over bumps.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 15:32   #9
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Im no mechanic either but yeh to me I think everything seems fine ... if somethings broke or gone wrong you would of either noticed that something has changed a lot or the car would be saying something. I have had random rattling noises from stones stuck to accidentally dropping a knife through the pipes in the engine bay (Started trying to tie things to my arm if im playing around there)

you know your car best, so if in doubt I always take my car to the dealer as you get a nice courtesy car while they investigate for free. So its really no hassle at all.

It should really be obvious if the exhaust is loose, but to me the rattle would either be as the other guys say
Will they do this even though I'm under 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
Have you tried checking how secure the rear silencer heatshield is? Mine keeps coming loose and rattling over bumps.
I'll try checking this thanks.

Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 16:28   #10
Welton
Premier Member

Here's one of the rear springs, the bottom part that snaps will sometimes get stuck in the 'cup' at the bottom and rattle around:

The cup:

And this is the bit that snaps off:

That's IF this is what the problem is!
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:

Tags
rattling, s40