Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rattling sound when driving (outside)

Views : 6774

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 17:14   #11
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
That's IF this is what the problem is!
Alright thanks. It probably won't be until Friday that I'm able to check this due to work and daylight :P

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 08:35   #12
StatusRed
Premier Member

I took some pictures last night anyway and just got muddy Couldn't see very well but relied on my phone's flash. I don't think anything seems particularly wrong but I'll post the picture tonight for better trained eyes to take a wee look

I also pushed down on each corner of the car to see if it was bouncy and it's not, so I think the shock absorbers / struts are fine. Also checked the exhaust heatshield and it seems firmly in place :S

I got my girlfriend to listen with the window open when I was driving last night and she's not 100% sure either but thinks the sound is coming from the back of the car.

Is it of any interest that I sometimes hear some noises from the boot / rear when driving and also sometimes when I get out of the car with the handbrake (and in gear) the car creaks quite a bit or is this all normal?

Cheers.

Last edited by StatusRed; Nov 3rd, 2015 at 08:41.
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 18:44   #13
StatusRed
Premier Member

Alright here are some pictures.. Anything look suspicious?

(there's some more pictures on the album if you click through)

Old Nov 6th, 2015, 14:32   #14
Model flyer
Master Member

The spring can snap on the front springs also and go unnoticed in an mot. As you say you cant hear it when the window is closed its probably something thats insulated from the car by the suspension .Loose brake pads can also make irritating rattle if the spring plates have been left out when the pads were changed., worth a look . Try driving with the window open on uneven road and listen if the noise stops when you apply the brakes lightly. does your car have alloys or steel wheels ? If steel wheels do you have wheel covers ? these can rattle and only be heard from outside the car.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 09:37   #15
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
The spring can snap on the front springs also and go unnoticed in an mot. As you say you cant hear it when the window is closed its probably something thats insulated from the car by the suspension .Loose brake pads can also make irritating rattle if the spring plates have been left out when the pads were changed., worth a look . Try driving with the window open on uneven road and listen if the noise stops when you apply the brakes lightly. does your car have alloys or steel wheels ? If steel wheels do you have wheel covers ? these can rattle and only be heard from outside the car.
Hmm.. The last service did mention changing the front brake pads / discs at the next service - I'll try applying the brakes on an uneven road to see if it helps

And they're alloys.

Thank you!

Old Nov 10th, 2015, 10:14   #16
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
I tried this last night... the sound definitely goes away when I apply the brakes - I kept testing it repeatedly to make sure it wasn't just the sound going anyway at that point and just a conincidence! Very interesting... Am I able to confirm the brake pads are loose visually? Thank you!

Old Nov 10th, 2015, 12:01   #17
iainmd

If the rattle stops while applying brake pressure I'd lay money on your rear brake pads being the culprit. I used EBC rear pads some time ago and they had neither the early retaining spring on the inner pad or the anti-rattle pad on the back of the pad. They were also clearly a mm or so too small.

Replace your rear pads with Volvo OEM pads and I suspect your rattle will disappear.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 13:15   #18
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
If the rattle stops while applying brake pressure I'd lay money on your rear brake pads being the culprit. I used EBC rear pads some time ago and they had neither the early retaining spring on the inner pad or the anti-rattle pad on the back of the pad. They were also clearly a mm or so too small.

Replace your rear pads with Volvo OEM pads and I suspect your rattle will disappear.
Are you sure it will be the rear ones? The reason I ask is because when I first bought the car as part of the deal the dealer put it through an MoT, it failed on the rear brake pads so they were replaced. So those rear brake pads should only be 4 few months old :S

Old Nov 10th, 2015, 14:04   #19
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Try the handbrake instead and that should see if it is the back ones
Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 14:34   #20
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi
Try the handbrake instead and that should see if it is the back ones
Iain
Is that because the handbrake will engage the rear brakes but not the front brakes?

Thanks.

Tags
rattling, s40