Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

E46 Bi-Xenon (budget) retrofit

Views : 16724

Replies : 136

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2017, 08:42   #31
stevien1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Sorry to hear that.
Not sure if your issue is due to projector type that simply wont output any better or misaligned/crappy bulb, but if its only height issue , but you can always try to adjust them yourself ( I did mine). Takes just few minutes to learn&understand the concept and after that if you follow instructions it will just be as good as garage. Or even better, as you wont snap your regulators.... (seriously)...

thats what I've been using as guidance for last few years. Checked once against machine in my indie shop - allignment was spot on.
Cheers man will try it out.
stevien1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 18:00   #32
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

STEP 7
Summary and afterthoughts

So few days passed, did over 400kms in various conditions and day times, so I think its about time for some final words.

There is no doubt, light output now is better than on previous H7 versions. This is, however, mostly due to better light source used and not the actual difference between projectors. On close inspection, there is no noticeable differences between H7 and D2S variants of those projectors, except for the bulb base. Im not sure if bowl shape doesnt matter as much for optics when lens is involved or its because its aftermarket product and its simply "universally good but not excellent" but seem to me that light source in those can be anything and the output will still be the same. Maybe someone corrects me on that, but it looks like whatever you place inside of this generic bowl should work, as lens seem to take the whole work of "light shaping" on itself. Its just the intensity of provided light that may differs so whether its a candle, fireball Pokemon or Ironman's power source - light will be shaped the same, just with various brightness level. Thats probably why OEM D2S projectors are superior as are made specifically for one light source and optic is "cut to measure" allowing better light spread?

I have no regrets with going D2S though. Ability to use good quality bulbs over rebased nonames is a good improvement, and light output from Osram Xenarc NBU's is just amazing (supposedly brightest of all D2S). Plus black lamp mod and angel eyes done at one go - definetely worth it. There are some minor improvements aswell like better bulb seating, better light spread (again - probably due to better bulb) and a bit sharper cutoff pattern.
But I guess the bottom line is: if you plan to get aftermarket projectors - H7 and D2S versions will be equally good. Its just up to you what bulbs you wish to use and if you care about the backward compatibility with Halogen H7.

Some pics taken at various times to finish my thoughts:

Very wet night with bad quality ashphalt - driving on this road usually creates the feeling that your light is consumed by black hole. Noticeable improvement over H7 version as light intensity makes huge difference. Low beam and high beam shot.

Low beam/high beam on dry road with a bit better reflective ashphalt.

Beam pattern with visible right hand slope. Not noticeable during driving, but still present.

Vanity shot just for the sake of it

Hope you liked the story, that also concludes my light modding until laser lights are available for retrofitting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bl35.jpg (193.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg bl36.jpg (265.4 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg bl36b.jpg (105.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg bl37.jpg (154.0 KB, 118 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 16:34   #33
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

One problem I have noticed is that my left projector output doesn't seem as bright as my right projector output, around the \___ hotspot part.

I noticed this when I initially ran the new projectors with Halogen bulbs, but just assumed that one bulb was on it's way out.

But same issue is present with HIDs bulbs in, almost like the center of the hotspot is being blocked by the shield.

Worth noting that I haven't touched the shield screw on either projector but wondered if that actually affected the hotspot in your testing?

Otherwise, the headlamps are epic.. the 5000k bulbs are ever so slightly too blue for my liking, but they seem brighter than almost every car I've compared them with, and on par with any LED solution in terms of brightness at least.

Last edited by T5R92011; Oct 5th, 2018 at 16:36.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 17:49   #34
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post

Worth noting that I haven't touched the shield screw on either projector but wondered if that actually affected the hotspot in your testing?

Otherwise, the headlamps are epic.. the 5000k bulbs are ever so slightly too blue for my liking, but they seem brighter than almost every car I've compared them with, and on par with any LED solution in terms of brightness at least.
No, shields wont affect hotspot in that way, what will though is the bulb misallignment.
On the H7 version I had an immediate issue with one bulb not providing a hotspot at all, it was a kind of uniformed light where hotspot should have been. On closer inspection it revealed that bulb was just a bit off the centre when seated in the projector and the centre of the hotspot was moved behind the shutter (so visible only when long beam applied). I bet its similar on yours.
There is an article on this issue on HIDPlanet its called bulb shimming. Thats one of the reasons I wanted to go D2S as there you have no such issues (usually a problem of badly made chinese bulbs). In my case I was able to bend the bulb legs a bit and didnt need any shimming pads, but you can approach it various ways.
Main thing is - you need to take lamp out, put in in front of wall or something and fiddle the bulb a bit left/right and observe how it affects the hotspot. You will notice it moves left-right-up-down and based on that you will know where the misallignment is.
What you want to achieve is something like this, with hotspot being in about 60% of visible space:

Its really easy and once done - you are sorted.

IF im wrong, and its not the hotspot (can be easily checked also by swapping the bulbs) it may be issue with projector seating itself. I know you had same issue on Halogen bulb but that may have been reason of different type of burner. The definite way to confirm it is to try another (from other light) xenon burner and if both cant provide a hotspot in centre its a likely projector seating issue.
But then test if you have any hotspot visible or not, to eliminate the lens or reflector problem. Open the shutter by hand and observe if hotspot is visible at all. As an example, perfectly centered hotspot on wide open shutter:

If you cant achieve this, projector may be faulty and you need to contact RFL.
hope that helps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x.jpg (31.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg x2.JPG (11.3 KB, 95 views)
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 23:31   #35
andy_d
Premier Member

LoB

despite me getting new lights, there,, still 90% cr*p, as found out on the unlighted motorway in the rain at night,

the E46 projectors, would i need anything other than Just the projector unit to get them working with H7 Halogen bulbs ? (hids + mot + my luck with in-sewer-rats + plod - nope not happening)

Ideal would be to add the halo rings as you have done, fiddle the wires so they are "side lights" ,, DRL=OFF so my switch is "Off - Side lights - dipped beams then i can use the halos as drl/side lights as needed/wanted, and not burn out the e46 reflectors all day/everyday
were the halo rings from RFL or some other supplier?
cheers
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 16:13   #36
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

All you need are replacement e46 projectors and a decent set of H7 bulbs by a good brand.

This alone is much better than the tired out oem ones where the silvering has flaked away.

Are they better than brand new OEM ones? I'm not sure, but they're definitely much better than deteriorated ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 22:47   #37
andy_d
Premier Member

thankies
we will find out soon if they are better than new oem ones, as the oem in mine are dire
m6/m5 at night in the rain,, not fun with 1/2p candle power stock lights,,, ordering the e46 ones now
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 22:55   #38
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

With an HID kit + e46 projectors and clear lenses, you will be in top 5% brightest headlamps on the road.
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 22:59   #39
andy_d
Premier Member

Hid means faffing about for each mot, skbow filter and the risk of in-sewer-rats not paying if they find out, so there not for me, shame as the car has self levelling + washers + projectors and clear lenses, but the countless muppets who fitted them to unsuitable headlights have ruined that for all
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 10:44   #40
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
thankies
we will find out soon if they are better than new oem ones, as the oem in mine are dire
m6/m5 at night in the rain,, not fun with 1/2p candle power stock lights,,, ordering the e46 ones now
I'll be really interested to hear how you get on. If you find it's relatively straightforward to replace the lenses or projectors as a whole using standard H7 bulbs I might do that myself if the results are good.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post: