Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Door Control Module part number

Views : 1252

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2017, 12:44   #1
PhilJ82

Default Door Control Module part number

The rear passenger door of my V50 won't unlock, and the window will not work either. I'm pretty convinced it's the door Control module that's goosed but when looking on eBay there seems to be multiple part numbers for essentially the same item.
Does anyone know if there is a specific part number for a 2007/57 V50 rear left door control module?
And would it need coding to the car at all?
PhilJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 16:43   #2
iainmd

Unfortunately you'll need a new lock unit from Volvo. They are coded to the car any they won't re-code a 2nd hand part for "security reasons". The rear door card needs to be pulled off from the inside which is not easy without wrecking it so fingers crossed your garage manage it. Estimate about £270 to fix it.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 06:35   #3
volvo for ever
Premier Member

before doing anything can you disconect the plug on front a pillar door depending what side is at fault ,its easy to disconect,they as they seperate then give quick clean out with brake cleaner refit it might work it might not ive had this few times tbh and new door looms then cured both front and rear door issues

regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 09:47   #4
PhilJ82

Thanks guys for you replies. I've had the a pillar plug apart and it all looked very clean, but no harm in trying again I guess?
The door unlocked fine and the window opened, it then would not close again 5 mins later.
The window switch on that door does not light up either.
I'll go to Volvo this afternoon and see what they say about it
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 14:05   #5
PhilJ82

I went to Volvo, they reckon on a couple of hundred just to get the door card off.
Interestingly, they confirmed the door control module does not need coding to the car.
Game on (if I can get the door card off)
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 18:59   #6
iainmd

The following would beg to differ. The "SW" indicates software required and in typical Volvo fashion that software will undoubtedly be coded to the car especially since it's a security element.

If I'm proved wrong I won't be upset but I have a feeling the dealer may not be on the mark with this one.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 20:50   #7
PhilJ82

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
The following would beg to differ. The "SW" indicates software required and in typical Volvo fashion that software will undoubtedly be coded to the car especially since it's a security element.

If I'm proved wrong I won't be upset but I have a feeling the dealer may not be on the mark with this one.
Interesting, and thankyou for the link. It has helped clarify the part number question, looks like the part number is dependant on the chassis number range.
My hope is that the software is only for front doors and rear doors don't have the same requirement.
As the parts are less than £20 from eBay I'll order one and report back once I've got it swapped over.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilJ82 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 22:02   #8
dcw
VOC Member

I changed a rear passenger door on my 2006 S40 with one from a 2005 S40. I assumed I'd need to be able to get the "new" door coded to my car, so I intended just to swap the whole inner unit over from the old door (only changing it due to dent in outside).

Thought that before I went to all the hassle of removal I'd just see if the "new" one would work and - to my surprise - it did. Window, door locking, all absolutely fine.

Obviously I cannot comment on whether the same still applied on 2007 models, but from my own experience I can confirm that at least some of these do NOT need coding to the car.

Not sure whether that helps or makes things more confusing!

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 06:29   #9
volvo for ever
Premier Member

if rear door wasnt working then you unplugged front a pillar plug then reconected it would this not suggest fault is in a pillar plug??????????
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 09:44   #10
PhilJ82

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
if rear door wasnt working then you unplugged front a pillar plug then reconected it would this not suggest fault is in a pillar plug??????????
The rear door stopped working before I unplugged the a pillar connector. Plugging it back in triggered all the doors apart from the broken one. In my mind this hints at the issue being either in the broken door, or possibly the control panel in the drivers door.
The a pillar connections looked very clean, whereas I've read reports these get a bluey green gunk build up that causes issues.

Cheers dcw for the info, it gives me hope. Random eBay part is now ordered
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhilJ82 For This Useful Post: