Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hello v50 1.8

Views : 592

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2018, 15:53   #1
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Smile Hello v50 1.8

Just thought I’d say hello, long time Volvo owner but picking up a 2005 v50 on Wednesday. 1.8 S with some added extras by the looks of it. Its a cheap car just to get me to work and back. This will be my first of this platform of Volvo hoping it will turn out to be as reliable as my previous Mk1 s40 and P2 v70 and s60.

Do people rate the petrol engines? I know it’s a Mazda/ Duartec ford unit. It’s only got 83k on so should have plenty of life left in it yet.

Thanks

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 14:52   #2
volvopilot

hi! As you have said, the V50 is almost identical to the Ford Focus MK2. This includes all suspension and engine parts. You do get the safety and comfort features where volvo is highly appreciated for, so it's definitely a good choice!

the 1.8L and 2.0L petrol models are considered to be pretty 'problem free'. The older pre 2006 1.8L petrol models are a little bit notorious for high oil consumption. So make sure you check the oil levels when buying the car. Any sort of smoke for the exhaust or low oil levels might indicate potential expensive engine problems.

Other than that no real major problems. Make sure you check the suspension and engine mounts. Excess movement in drivetrain is a common problem in the ford focus platform, same for the V50/S40. But in general this is very easy en cheap to fix, so don't walk away from a good car with a little bit of suspension work I guess.

My S40 1.8L petrol has 140k miles on it and still goes strong! Plenty of power left, no oil consumption and drives like new after recently replacing a few suspension parts (+- 200GBP in expenses).
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 20:08   #3
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Well short ownership less than 24hrs with the v50. As with them all you get them home and then find what’s wrong. Started smoking like a train burning oil.

This is the first lemon car I have ever bought I would say I’m normally pretty good know what to look for and I really couldn’t fault it on the test drive.

Straight back to the dealer, they were excellent, money back. Such a shame as it drove lovely and was in really good nick with goood history. Only 83,000 on it but the engine is toast. Ford really did ruin Volvo........

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Aug 2nd, 2018 at 20:10.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 10:03   #4
volvopilot

that is a massive bummer. Nice to see they bought the car back.

Ford actually made the V50/S40 to a great succes because of the fantastic handling. Ford Focus platform was a warm welcome.

Oil consumption is very hard to see when you buy a car and always bit of a guess. The 1.8 is besides oil consumption a very good and problem free engine. Not all engine suffer from it and quite a few have already had the piston ring modification.

Maybe try and find the 2.0 petrol. I've never heard of anyone who had problems with that car in terms of oil consumption.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 23:26   #5
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvopilot View Post
that is a massive bummer. Nice to see they bought the car back.

Ford actually made the V50/S40 to a great succes because of the fantastic handling. Ford Focus platform was a warm welcome.

Oil consumption is very hard to see when you buy a car and always bit of a guess. The 1.8 is besides oil consumption a very good and problem free engine. Not all engine suffer from it and quite a few have already had the piston ring modification.

Maybe try and find the 2.0 petrol. I've never heard of anyone who had problems with that car in terms of oil consumption.
My 2.0 doesn't drop 1ml of oil over the year before its serviced it seems!

I wonder why the 2.0 doesn't get any issues? I thought it was effectively the same engine with bored out pistons or something?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 08:07   #6
volvopilot

The 1.8s only have this problem pre 2006. And even then, depending on driving style. My 1.8 doesn't use a drip of oil (lucky me). They do not like a lot of short distances. Most cars show signs of oil consumption in a very early stage (around 50k miles). So higher mileage vehicles can sometimes be a bonus in that respect.

the 2.0 was offered only after 2007 if I am correct. They implemented the new pisten oil rings.

The oil consumption in the 1.8 was almost always the piston rings that got clogged up and left oil in the combustion chamber. 1L/500km was not unusual. New piston rings would solve this. Not a super expensive rebuilt but most of the times the car was already economically a total loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to volvopilot For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 12:20   #7
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
The 1.8s only have this problem pre 2006. And even then, depending on driving style. My 1.8 doesn't use a drip of oil (lucky me). They do not like a lot of short distances. Most cars show signs of oil consumption in a very early stage (around 50k miles). So higher mileage vehicles can sometimes be a bonus in that respect.

the 2.0 was offered only after 2007 if I am correct. They implemented the new pisten oil rings.

The oil consumption in the 1.8 was almost always the piston rings that got clogged up and left oil in the combustion chamber. 1L/500km was not unusual. New piston rings would solve this. Not a super expensive rebuilt but most of the times the car was already economically a total loss.
Cheers good to know

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 13:30   #8
moorgate

Quote:

I always find this verdict very odd. It seems to me that it's a dealer/mechanic logic, not an owner logic. Taking this car as a case in point, if the OP had kept it and found a decent chap to drop some rings in, then the economics would be played out over what, five years of commuting? In essence spending maybe £750 to sort that one problem would prevent spending even more to buy something more expensive that won't be that perfect, either.
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 14:09   #9
volvopilot

I completely agree with you Moorgate, however that is not what most people apperantly do. There are quite a few V50/S40s for parts available that have a oil consuming engine. Good for parts though because all the rest of the car is just fine. It is dealer/mechanic logic because they can give you a good trade in price for that broken car, sell you a newer one, fix the oil rings when do have nothing else to do... resell that V50 again for a much better price...

spending maybe 2000+ on an older V50/S40 (pre 2006) is quite a bit if you can trade it in for a good price for another car that does not have this problem.

even then it's another gamble and might end up with other problems. I completely agree with you to stick with one car and just keep repairing it. find a good and fair garage and maybe try to do things yourself. That way you can pretty much drive you car forever or until it falls apart because of rust.