Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing electrics - charging capacity

Views : 307

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2018, 08:35   #1
Simon J
Premier Member

Default Towing electrics - charging capacity

Having fitted the proper Volvo cable harness in my V50 for towing I'm wondering how the car controls the current through pin 9, the caravan/trailer battery charging circuit. If the trailer battery is heavily discharged it will try to draw quite a substantial current via pin 9. How is this limited to prevent overloading the wiring in the car?
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 09:51   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon J View Post
Having fitted the proper Volvo cable harness in my V50 for towing I'm wondering how the car controls the current through pin 9, the caravan/trailer battery charging circuit. If the trailer battery is heavily discharged it will try to draw quite a substantial current via pin 9. How is this limited to prevent overloading the wiring in the car?
there is a fuse in the fuse box the line there is no control circuit just an ignition controlled live feed from the 12 volt power distribution system . What goes on in the trailer module is a grey area though !
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 09:55   #3
Simon J
Premier Member

Indeed, perhaps it’s the trailer module that controls such things as one couldn’t just connect the alternator to the trailer battery without some control over the current.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 10:38   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Indeed, perhaps it’s the trailer module that controls such things as one couldn’t just connect the alternator to the trailer battery without some control over the current.
well you can as the control is in the alternator just as for the main battery … your trailer battery would effectively be connected in parallel with the main battery when running .. the system voltage will never go over the prescribed nominal 14v what ever the battery circumstances .. just the current will vary and reduce as the battery gets charged up . a flat battery will rarely take more than 40 Amps and even then that rapidly reduces as the charging gets under way ..
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 12:41   #5
Simon J
Premier Member

My concern would be that the relatively light gauge wiring in the car that connects to the towing cable harness possibly couldn't handle 40 amps. But it makes sense that the charging current would be limited by the trailer module.

Does the trailer module also sense when the engine is running before activating the fridge circuit on pin 10?

Last edited by Simon J; Aug 4th, 2018 at 12:50.
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 13:01   #6
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:

Does the trailer module also sense when the engine is running before activating the fridge circuit on pin 10?
Yes it does. Just to be sure I tested mine, with the engine running no power at pin 10 but as son as you connect, the caravan in my case, the pin is powered up and the fridge is working on 12v.

The Volvo system also checks the trailer lights and tells you if you have a failure on the trailer lights so no need to check them before you set off. No warning means no problem with the trailer lights.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 13:52   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
My concern would be that the relatively light gauge wiring in the car that connects to the towing cable harness possibly couldn't handle 40 amps. But it makes sense that the charging current would be limited by the trailer module.

The Trailer module is fed by a 40A fuse ...
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 14:01   #8
Simon J
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The Trailer module is fed by a 40A fuse ...
Good point! Those wires must be tougher than they look!

With the trailer hooked up to the car I just checked the voltage at the pins and the battery/lights circuit (pin 9) is permanently live, i.e. even with ignition off it's live. But pin 10 (the 'fridge' circuit) is live with the ignition on, even if the engine isn't running. I had assumed that it would only be live once the engine was running in order to avoid power being drawn from the trailer battery if the car battery was weak but presumably it's not live when the engine is being cranked? As I didn't have anyone to help me I had no way of checking this but will do so later today.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 15:26   #9
Simon J
Premier Member

Re the 40 amp fuse, trailer and caravan wiring is rarely more than 2.5mm˛ (and often only 1.0mm˛ or 1.5mm˛ )which is rated at 29 amps. Presumably even with a very flat trailer battery, the charge from the alternator wouldn't exceed this for very long and 2.5mm˛ cable should be sufficient? (The trailer battery will be used for powering a winch so could be quite low in charge if used for any length of time.)
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 16:48   #10
Simon J
Premier Member

OK, I've checked the voltage at pin 10 (the 'fridge' circuit) and it is live once the ignition is switched on and isn't disconnected while the engine is cranking. Can this be right as it would mean that if the car battery was low on charge, starting the car would attempt to draw on the trailer battery via pin 9 once pin 10 was live (assuming standard caravan wiring with a habitation relay).