Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Retrofit heated seats

Views : 2046

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2019, 10:39   #1
lnparry

Default V50 Retrofit heated seats

Hi everyone,

Thinking of buying a V50 (to replace 945) but want heated seats as after 20 years of Volvo bum warming not sure I can survive without!

Not all V50s seem to have heated seats. Is it an easy retrofit? Did Volvo fit the basic kit and wiring to all cars and then only fit switches if selected as an option when car was new? If so then it might be an easy upgrade?

Thanks for reading,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 23:03   #2
hoks

Hey,

Sadly I dont know about wiring and switches...

How are you planning to implement heated seats? - replace seats all together or put padding with heaters in existing seats?

Not 100% sure if true but i have heard that if you replace seats with ones which are not completely from the same model (first gen v50 with facelift) electrics will go mad. At least I heard it from guy in a wrecking yard where I was buying leather seats to replace worn fake leather ones in mine. Ended up replacing only seat "skins" because of this and also because one of front ones I got was electric instead of manual...
hoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 14:35   #3
alexstanleyv50

I could be wrong but I recall reading somewhere that the wiring exists to effectively plug and play this stuff. You'd need to put in the fuses, switches etc. Maybe someone can confirm through vida if this is the case? Does the wiring harness exits? I would love to add heated seats to my S40 as it has the R-design trim and I've never understood why you would spec R-Design without a winter pack???

2004 V50 T5 SE 6 Speed Manual The Death Star...
2009 S40 2.0i R-Design 5 Speed Manual The Flash Car...
alexstanleyv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 16:28   #4
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstanleyv50 View Post
I could be wrong but I recall reading somewhere that the wiring exists to effectively plug and play this stuff. You'd need to put in the fuses, switches etc. Maybe someone can confirm through vida if this is the case? Does the wiring harness exits? I would love to add heated seats to my S40 as it has the R-design trim and I've never understood why you would spec R-Design without a winter pack???
Nope, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but its not as easy as you may think, thanks to super-duper-overcomplicated nature of our cars. Just like with factory fogs etc, even though you have all parts (heated seat and switches from another car) and wires do already exist, plug&play wont work as those options go trough CEM. It means that you need to go program it in in dealership and pay for software download.
For heated seats easiest (cheapest) option would be to retrofit aftermarket kit (heating pad under the cushion) or just accept extra cost of software.