Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

To Chip or not to Chip?

Views : 1282

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:19   #1
Pick

Hi Guys

I'm about to buy myself a (nearly) new motor, and have pretty much decided on a S40 2.0D Sport, the thing is that at the moment I've got a new 3 door Golf GTI, but me and the wife are expecting a new addition to the family in a couple of weeks, so I'm thinking I need to get myself a more family friendly motor. I really want a S40 D5 Sport, but don't think I'm going to be able to afford it, looking at the RICA website, they do a mod for the 2.0d which takes the BHP up to 175 and torque up to 380, which is 30 more than the D5. My question is has anybody had this done, and if so, basically is it worth it!? As much as I'm needing to get a more family orientated motor, still need something that GOES!!!!

Thanks

G
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 14:05   #2
nozmeister

Having just bought a V50 as I've had a recent family addition as well I think I'd be tempted to go for a V50 rather than an S40. I came from a MKIV golf and the boot was pretty much the same on a S40.

I found the boot of the S40 far too small for the usual pushchair, bags, etc. that you need for a family and the V50 just about manages (even this is a bit small really).

Noz
nozmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 14:18   #3
PNuT
MaDMaN

why people mess about with these silly little cars i will never know
PNuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 17:46   #4
Metblackrat

I had the RICA tune done to my S40 and it has caused no problems.

The driving experience is now fantastic making it a much more relaxing drive as there are less gear changes. My economy is up by about 5 mpg to 45 now.

Mine is currently back to standard as the dealer re flashed the ECU when they swapped the EGR valve for the latest bi-motor one. This valve uses a different software version hence the re-flash.

It feels flat and sluggish. The good news is that the RICA map is put back on for free.
Metblackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 18:35   #5
Ben O Brien

Could i be bold and suggest a 1/2 yr old fully loaded s60 D5 or even dare i say it a V70 D5, I understand that after the RICA the D5's are a weapon altogether,

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote