Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Jerky initial acceleration - XC60 T5 2.0

Views : 1699

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 04:22   #1
downunder24

Default Jerky initial acceleration - XC60 T5 2.0

I have a FWD 2012 XC60 T5, with the 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder engine BT4204T7 and 6 speed Powershift transmission. The initial acceleration is very aggressive and jerky, often causing the front tyres to spin and lose traction for a couple of moments. This is more pronounced going uphill from stationary. After that, the trans shifts beautifully.
Does this sound like a transmission issue or is it possible to make any adjustments to the torque converter to dial down the initial acceleration?
Thanks.
downunder24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 08:54   #2
Easington
Master Member

If it's the Powershift transmission it has dual clutches not a torque converter.

It could be due a fluid change or perhaps there is a software update
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 12:43   #3
DT19
Master Member

I have the same engine and gearbox in my S60 and I've had the occasional jerk when pulling away (no, stop making up your own jokes)

It's happened much less since a full gearbox flush, oil and filter change and a software update, it happens perhaps 1 in 50 times of setting off from a junction. Before I had the oil change etc done I also found it happened less often with the traction control switched off.

There's a lot of waffle talked about how unreliable these gearboxes are in Fords, some of it is true but it seems that if they have regular oil/filter changes they're fine in the Volvo's. Of course, now I've said that mine will explode when I next start the car. There is also talk of how the clutch surfaces can benefit from a clean occasionally. Apparently contaminants can build up make it less effective. I can't say if this is correct or not but I tried the recommended method and it did seem to make a difference. From memory it was, put the box in sport mode, turn off traction control and floor the throttle, let it redline and change through all the gears then slow down and stop, do this five times, obviously somewhere safe and not on a public road.
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 21:22   #4
downunder24

I did have the transmission serviced at an independent garage at 61,000km, but they did not have access to software updates. I will check at the dealer and post an update after that. Thanks for all the feedback!
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 22:25   #5
downunder24

After a further bit of online searching, I tried the following recommendation from "vegachicago" on the Focus fanatics forum.
1) Run engine, set to N
2) Turn off, wait 15 sec
3) Shift to P
4) Ignition on (engine not running) 15 sec
5) Turn off, then on again.
6) Shift to N
7) Turn off, shift to P, start and drive.
Worked for me!!
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 00:19   #6
andrewsc

Default grearbox improvement from new battery

I had the 2012 XC60 T5 with the troublesome gearbox for five years. Sure as hell, the gearbox was gradually getting worse. Jerky start, trepidation on slow climb, just wouldn't slip. At 116,000km, I was preparing for write-off. I wasn't even sure I wanted to drive the crappy car for too long.

Then, without warning, the battery died this week. The roadside assist technician replaced it with a new one. It cost twice as much as an ordinary battery, at $A300 (Sydney). Surprise: the car runs smoothly, never jerks, gearbox able to slip at slow speeds.

The difference is amazing. Now I hope the car will last for many more years. I even made up a theory: perhaps the dual clutch is pressed together by electrical magnets. Perhaps the old battery wasn't able to supply the full current required by the solenoids. Who knows?

Worth trying, if you have similar gearbox problems. The cost of a new battery, even for a Volvo, is negligible compared to the cost gearbox maintenance. Just make sure it's installed by an experienced technician.

Last edited by andrewsc; Feb 11th, 2022 at 00:22.
andrewsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 07:35   #7
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsc View Post
I had the 2012 XC60 T5 with the troublesome gearbox for five years. Sure as hell, the gearbox was gradually getting worse. Jerky start, trepidation on slow climb, just wouldn't slip. At 116,000km, I was preparing for write-off. I wasn't even sure I wanted to drive the crappy car for too long.

Then, without warning, the battery died this week. The roadside assist technician replaced it with a new one. It cost twice as much as an ordinary battery, at $A300 (Sydney). Surprise: the car runs smoothly, never jerks, gearbox able to slip at slow speeds.

The difference is amazing. Now I hope the car will last for many more years. I even made up a theory: perhaps the dual clutch is pressed together by electrical magnets. Perhaps the old battery wasn't able to supply the full current required by the solenoids. Who knows?

Worth trying, if you have similar gearbox problems. The cost of a new battery, even for a Volvo, is negligible compared to the cost gearbox maintenance. Just make sure it's installed by an experienced technician.
I used to work with a lady who had a CLK and she suffered gearbox problems until a battery was changed