Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 2012 front drivers squeak!

Views : 995

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2021, 17:09   #1
Adrian B

Default XC60 2012 front drivers squeak!

Hi. A new squeak has developed and it sounds like the driver's front strut area
Had front wheel off and wheel arch liner and cannot see anything amiss. It is suspension related as on a really smooth road like the M1 it don't happen
Main strut spring is fine , felt at drop link , no play! Could it be the struts top bush mount starting to fail?
No rodents stuck in the either.
Could debris have got somewhere around a rubber bushing?
Any more checks I could do? Regards
Adrian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 08:33   #2
Adrian B

Listening with a little more focus the sound is more of a rattle if a thin metal plate. Reading on Google, even though I could not feel any movement in the drop link I will replace and report.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 17:00   #3
Adrian B

Replaced front drivers drop link and up to now all seems back to normal. I believe the faulty droplink was original and starting to fail. Used a Meyle HD replacement. Let's see!
The Following User Says Thank You to Adrian B For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 07:59   #4
Adrian B

Well the noise has returned so more investigation needed. I am leaning toward a shock strut failing or failed. I intended to replace the strut if necessary. It could be a new wishbone bush or ball joint. I would describe the current sound as a small travel knocking! Advice appreciated.

Last edited by Adrian B; Nov 26th, 2021 at 08:02.
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 11:20   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian B View Post
Hi. A new squeak has developed and it sounds like the driver's front strut area
Had front wheel off and wheel arch liner and cannot see anything amiss. It is suspension related as on a really smooth road like the M1 it don't happen
Main strut spring is fine , felt at drop link , no play! Could it be the struts top bush mount starting to fail?
No rodents stuck in the either.
Could debris have got somewhere around a rubber bushing?
Any more checks I could do? Regards
Could well be a strut mount. Try spraying some silicone spray from the wheel area upwards so it gets to the top of the shock absorber & then spray some at the top from the engine bay. It won’t be a permanent fix, but it might stop the squeak temporarily. If the squeak does stop, then you know its the strut mount. Replace them in pairs.
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 11:35   #6
Adrian B

Will try as you said. When you say replace the part do you mean the hard rubber insert or both parts including the top metal cap as well ? Regards
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 13:06   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Will try as you said. When you say replace the part do you mean the hard rubber insert or both parts including the top metal cap as well ? Regards
Replace in pairs, as in replace the driver’s side & passenger side.

The metal part (Volvo call that a spring seat) is usually okay. These only need replacing if they’re badly corroded. Its the rubber bearing (mount) underneath the metal spring seat that usually goes, so replacing the bearings alone on both sides of the car is fine.
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 22:06   #8
Drunk

strut mounts are common on these, the rotating part is part plastic/part metal and pretty cheaply made. probably thats where your noise is coming from
Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 08:20   #9
Adrian B

Just an update. After an indy had a look it was suggested that the strut/ top bearing could be at fault. Anyhow had a new strut and top bearing fitted yesterday.
Looking at the old parts the top bearing looked ok but the strut was very weak etc. So let's see if the new strut sorts it?
Will give it a proper run today.
If it's solved then I will do the other side as the strut will be well worn as well

Last edited by Adrian B; Dec 10th, 2021 at 08:38.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 11:06   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Just an update. After an indy had a look it was suggested that the strut/ top bearing could be at fault. Anyhow had a new strut and top bearing fitted yesterday.
Looking at the old parts the top bearing looked ok but the strut was very weak etc. So let's see if the new strut sorts it?
Will give it a proper run today.
If it's solved then I will do the other side as the strut will be well worn as well
An indy fitted one strut/strut mount & didn’t suggest doing the other/tell you they only replace in pairs.

Never come across a garage that replaces one shock before… not on a heavy car that’s coming up on 10 years old anyway.

Last edited by Kev0607; Dec 10th, 2021 at 11:10.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote