Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4i Camshaft reset solenoid valve.

Views : 3401

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 17:06   #1
pinballdave

Default 2.4i Camshaft reset solenoid valve.

I have a C70 2.4i (B5244S4) that's got the MIL lit due to an ECM-640F "Camshaft position, inlet - Signal too High" fault code. The VIDA description states that this fault code is set if the camshaft adaptation value is higher than it should be (27CA +/-8)

Viewing the camshaft adaptation value on VIDA shows it stuck at 40.00CA, and the live readings 'ECM-Camshaft shifting angle, inlet' and 'ECM-Camshaft advance angle, inlet nominal' are both stuck at 0 CA. So it appears that I'm getting no camshaft adjustment at all.

I've done an oil and filter change, checked the timing marks on the cam belt pulleys, and pulled and cleaned out the reset solenoid, but the fault remains.

I've checked the drive voltage to the solenoid on a scope, and it's a good square-wave signal that varies it's mark/space ratio as you rev the engine.

When tested on the bench, the solenoid also 'clicks' when you apply 12v to the connector, but I'm unsure if the valve part is working correctly.

Could the solenoid still be faulty, and are there any more tests I can perform to try to diagnose it? Or is it worth just swapping it out as a final check before spending the big bucks on a replacement VVT pulley, and the cam locking tools needed to change it out?
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 17:35   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

It would appear to be leaning towards a faulty reset valve.

Have you checked the resistance on the unplugged valve between the two pins?
It should be 3-5ohms
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 18:09   #3
pinballdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Have you checked the resistance on the unplugged valve between the two pins?
I haven't, but it operated on the bench PSU without tripping the over-current (2A), so I'm fairly confident the solenoid coil is not open-circuit or short-circuit. You could feel the movement of the solenoid operating from the bench PSU when it was held, but whether the valve part is working or not is unknown.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 18:20   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

It's a very specific resistance range so it not being short or open doesn't really confirm anything.

Best to test it and my guess is that it will be out of range.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 12:45   #5
pinballdave

Coil resistance is 4 ohms exactly, so I don't think the solenoid part of the camshaft reset valve is the problem.

I'm more interested in knowing if there are any tests to check the hydraulic valve part, which way oil should flow through the valve, whether flow should be cut off when energised or not etc.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 13:20   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

I don't know off hand but I do know that in Vida there are a finite number of reasons for the "signal too high" code so of all of the reasons available, which one(s) are definitely eliminated and which are now left?

I'm also assuming you've reset the ECM adaptions as per Vida procedure.

You may also get further component information in the technical sections of Information in Vida.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 14:37   #7
pinballdave

I have done the reset ECM adaptations procedure, and then gone for a long drive to allow it to relearn, but it hasn't helped and the same fault code returns.

From VIDA the possible sources of the 'Signal too high' error are listed as...

Poor quality engine oil.
The timing gear belt has jumped off the cogs.
Incorrectly adjusted camshafts.
Damaged reset valve.
Mechanical fault in the variable valve timing (VVT) unit.

So I've done the oil change, I've checked the cam timing marks, now I'm onto the reset valve.

After that it's checking that the cam pulleys are 'correctly adjusted'. I can't rule this out, as I bought the car with the fault present, so it's possible that someone has played around with cam timing in the past. But this needs the camshaft locking tools, which I don't yet have (despite running 5 cylinder Volvos for almost 20 years!).

If that doesn't do it, then all that's left is the VVT pulley.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 12:46   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballdave View Post
I bought the car with the fault present, so it's possible that someone has played around with cam timing in the past.
It would have been helpful to know this ^^^^^ right from the beginning.

The chances of a car being sold with a known fault that's any easy fix with a code reset are slim to none.
I'd be buying some tools and reading up on the cam locking procedure.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 14:30   #9
pinballdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
It would have been helpful to know this ^^^^^ right from the beginning.
Yeah, I probably should have mentioned it in the first post, but at that stage I was just working through the problem logically and wanting to know if anyone knew of any tests that could rule out the solenoid valve.

You are of course correct in your assumptions, and I thank you for sharing your wisdom. I've just changed the valve and the fault remains, so it will be on to buying the tools and checking the pulleys and cam timing...

I was hoping that it would be a simple fault the previous owner or their garage had failed to diagnose correctly. The car came with a huge shopping list of faults (that allowed me to buy the car for about half the normal price), and so far it's cost me less than £50 and a long weekend with the spanners out, to cross off everything from the list apart from this VVT problem.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 16:56   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

At least it was cheap and you'll hopefully still have a well running bargain albeit for a a little more cost and hassle.

Good luck with the outcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: