Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2025066

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2021, 08:37   #2711
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

While I broadly agree with your philosophy, 'L.S.', I also think that if, like Alan, you have access to winter tyres, it makes sense to use them.

My friend in Uppsala tells me that, for the first time in many years, their car is wearing it's winter boots. Normally it over-winters in a nice warm garage, but, because of the pandemic, they are reluctant to use public transport.

Interestingly, Swedish law requires cars to be fitted with winter tyres between December 1st and March 31st, if the weather conditions require it. That's a nice 'get-out' clause for you, if ever there was one!! Apparently, if you are involved in an accident while driving on 'summer' tyres, it is assumed to be your fault unless proved otherwise. They are also liable to a fine of 1200SEK (about £120) per tyre if not up to snuff and have less than 3mm tread remaining.

Regards, John.
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 09:19   #2712
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
While I broadly agree with your philosophy, 'L.S.', I also think that if, like Alan, you have access to winter tyres, it makes sense to use them.

My friend in Uppsala tells me that, for the first time in many years, their car is wearing it's winter boots. Normally it over-winters in a nice warm garage, but, because of the pandemic, they are reluctant to use public transport.

Interestingly, Swedish law requires cars to be fitted with winter tyres between December 1st and March 31st, if the weather conditions require it. That's a nice 'get-out' clause for you, if ever there was one!! Apparently, if you are involved in an accident while driving on 'summer' tyres, it is assumed to be your fault unless proved otherwise. They are also liable to a fine of 1200SEK (about £120) per tyre if not up to snuff and have less than 3mm tread remaining.

Regards, John.
I agree John, it does make sense to ues winter tyres if you have them...............but!

The "but" is that in temperatures above freezing, winter tyres will wear extremely quickly which is why the Swedes have the "get out clause".

It basically means if you have an accident between 1st December and 31st March, if you have summer tyres on then it's your fault. If you have winter tyres on but the conditions don't require it, then it's also your fault.

Obviously the codecile "unless proved otherwise" still applies but that burden of proof becomes heavier.

This is what a Swedish friend told me a couple of years back when he was switching to winter tyres.

The way i view it is that the authorities are simply shifting the burden of proof onto the easiest target.

All that said, it still works out as a gamble, no matter which country you're in. The best you can do is mitigate that risk in whatever way you see fit, if that means fitting winter tyres before someone else thinks it necessary then that's good. Or if you don't use winter tyres at all and simply don't do the mileage in winter months except essential trips, that's good too.

The best tyres for snow are "tall'n'skinnies" like the 140 series had and i believe the 240 series also had at launch. With both of mine, finding "tall'n'skinnies" is hard because the rims are at least 6J (if memory serves, both 6.5J or 6.5" wide) so i'd need a narrower set of winter wheels ideally.
Alternatively i could find some narrower/higher aspect ratio tyres for a standard set of rims but even then i'd be struggling as the move to wider rims over the past 30+ years has all but eliminated skinny rims. I think the 140 cars i had were 4.5J rims with 165SR15 tyres, try finding something like that these days and i'd struggle!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 10:12   #2713
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

One of the best cars that I have ever had in the snow was an Austin A35, 'L.S.'. RWD, running on five-twenty by thirteens, if I remember correctly, it was nigh-on unstoppable! If conditions got really bad - and they could in rural Derbyshire - a sack of spuds slung into the boot usually did the trick!

Regards, John.
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 11:06   #2714
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
One of the best cars that I have ever had in the snow was an Austin A35, 'L.S.'. RWD, running on five-twenty by thirteens, if I remember correctly, it was nigh-on unstoppable! If conditions got really bad - and they could in rural Derbyshire - a sack of spuds slung into the boot usually did the trick!

Regards, John.
That was when a sack of spuds was a useful weight thought John!

I've heard rumours cross-plies were better in snow than radials, nearest equivalent radial would be something like a 135SR13 as 5-20 would be 5.2" so a smidge under 135mm wide but near enough as makes little odds.

The other thing is the A35 was relatively low-powered compared to todays chariots so wouldn't necessarily go into wheelspin if you were anything less than gentle on the loud pedal.

Rear Wheel Drive is always better in the snow as the weight transfer as soon as you try to accelerate puts more weight on the rear enhancing the grip - with FWD when the weight transfer goes to the back of the car, it makes the front light reducing the grip on the driving wheels.

Just for fun they also point you in the right direction too so FWD cars can be a nightmare in snow/ice!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 15:42   #2715
Othen
Premier Member

Default It's that time of year...

Last night's dusting of snow convinced me that it was time to change to winter tyres - so that was today's job on both the Skoda and the RB. Northern British people may find it amusing that the dusting of snow moves us lowlanders to put on our winter boots :-).

I like the Virgo wheels for the summer tyres, they look smart and sporty, particularly with the nice domed wheel nuts:

... but the domed nuts are a little too long for the centre caps of the Pholus winter wheels, so I use these smart chromed open nuts for the winter:

They are perhaps 10mm shorter and so fit fairly flush with the face of the wheels:

... allowing the centre caps to fit snugly:

I found that the servicing garage had employed a gorilla to do up the wheel nuts on the Skoda, I don't know why they can't just use a torque wrench and do the job properly. If I'd had a puncture at the roadside I don't think I'd have been able to get the wheels off. The RB was fine (I fitted the wheels myself the last time it was done).

Changing the wheels is a good way of checking everything: a good inspection, check the tread depths and then a good clean with Gunk and the pressure washer:

I'm fortunate in that I have a dry but well ventilated and secure motorbike shed at the side of the house to store both sets of summer tyres until the spring. I took both motor cars out for a quick spin and everything seems straight and true. The RB (and the Skoda) are ready for another winter.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Nov 29th, 2021 at 16:19. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 21:28   #2716
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Looking good Alan, I think the Pholus wheels really suit the RB.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 05:04   #2717
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Looking good Alan, I think the Pholus wheels really suit the RB.
Yes Luke, I agree. It is perhaps surprising that more 240 owners haven’t tried them.
Alan

Last edited by Othen; Nov 30th, 2021 at 05:52.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 15:35   #2718
Othen
Premier Member

Default Happiness is...

I bought myself a Xmax present:

I won £50 in the PayPal (free) Xmax draw, so today I've treated myself to a proper impact driver (DeWalt) and a new drill (on sale at about £170 - so only cost me around £120).

Last edited by Othen; Dec 3rd, 2021 at 15:39.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 18:00   #2719
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I bought myself a Xmax present:

I won £50 in the PayPal (free) Xmax draw, so today I've treated myself to a proper impact driver (DeWalt) and a new drill (on sale at about £170 - so only cost me around £120).

Nice one Alan! That DeWalt impact wrench looks very similar to one i got from Banggod recently except mine is of course unbranded. Also very similar to those being sold by Machine Mart. Is it the 450Nm version?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 18:20   #2720
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Nice one Alan! That DeWalt impact wrench looks very similar to one i got from Banggod recently except mine is of course unbranded. Also very similar to those being sold by Machine Mart. Is it the 450Nm version?
178 Nm I think Dave.

Last edited by Othen; Dec 3rd, 2021 at 18:22.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: