Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 832654

Replies : 6309

Users Viewing This Thread : ITSv40, Laird Scooby, Othen

Old Oct 9th, 2021, 15:17   #1091
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
It'll be interesting to see, young man, what he does now.

As I've said, he's a top dollar merchant looking for the right mug!
Ah yes, I think you did mention you had previous business with the chap.

I do wonder how much he expected to get in an online auction - clearly a bit more than £5101. Not many 240s make over £6,000 - and whilst this was a nice enough car there was nothing exceptional about it.

Alan
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 06:28   #1092
Othen
Premier Member

Default Nice Old Bus

I saw this old bus for sale by auction - it will be a good test of the price guide:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324822450...53.m1438.l2649

It is a 1990 estate, with a claimed 86,000 miles. I say claimed because there are only two MoTs recorded:

25 June 2021
PASS
Mileage
83,602 miles
24 June 2022
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Nearside mirror glass missing

23 June 2021
FAIL
Mileage
83,601 miles
Repair immediately (major defects):
Rear Registration plate inscription illegible (0.1 (b))
Offside Side repeater not working (4.4.1 (a) (ii))
Offside Rear Upper Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn (5.3.4 (a)
Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
Registration plate lamp throwing direct white light to the rear (4.7.1 (a))

... so it rather looks like it has been off the road for a very long time and recommissioned in 2021, which may account for the low mileage, or it may hide something else. The seller says it comes with the service history - if it does that may tell the story (maybe a service book covering up to about 2010, then perhaps it was parked up (where though?) as it would have had almost no value at that point).

My guess is that it will make £1,500 to 2 grand - so nearer the top of the middling cars than the bottom. It may well be a genuine motor car.

:-)

PS. Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 19 May 2021 - that rather suggests the car has been laid up until this year.

Last edited by Othen; Oct 10th, 2021 at 06:42. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 07:51   #1093
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I saw this old bus for sale by auction - it will be a good test of the price guide:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324822450...53.m1438.l2649

It is a 1990 estate, with a claimed 86,000 miles. I say claimed because there are only two MoTs recorded:

25 June 2021
PASS
Mileage
83,602 miles
24 June 2022

23 June 2021
FAIL
Mileage
83,601 miles
Repair immediately (major defects):
Rear Registration plate inscription illegible (0.1 (b))
Offside Side repeater not working (4.4.1 (a) (ii))
Offside Rear Upper Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn (5.3.4 (a)
Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
Registration plate lamp throwing direct white light to the rear (4.7.1 (a))

... so it rather looks like it has been off the road for a very long time and recommissioned in 2021, which may account for the low mileage, or it may hide something else. The seller says it comes with the service history - if it does that may tell the story (maybe a service book covering up to about 2010, then perhaps it was parked up (where though?) as it would have had almost no value at that point).

My guess is that it will make £1,500 to 2 grand - so nearer the top of the middling cars than the bottom. It may well be a genuine motor car.

PS. Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 19 May 2021 - that rather suggests the car has been laid up until this year.
Just my luck!

I was in Holt two days ago. Might have been worth a butchers!. Interesting old bird without a doubt.
Would a previous private plate make any difference to mot history?
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 08:32   #1094
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Just my luck!

I was in Holt two days ago. Might have been worth a butchers!. Interesting old bird without a doubt.
Would a previous private plate make any difference to mot history?
That is a pity - this one would have been worth a look at (it may be a hidden gem - or it may be a pile of junk, it needs a look to find out which).

A private plate doesn't make any difference - I've just checked with my Porsche and the system picks up an MoT from before I got the vanity plate.

Why would you think the Volvo has a private plate? It is a 1990 motor car, so H prefix.

Old Oct 10th, 2021, 09:15   #1095
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That is a pity - this one would have been worth a look at (it may be a hidden gem - or it may be a pile of junk, it needs a look to find out which).

A private plate doesn't make any difference - I've just checked with my Porsche and the system picks up an MoT from before I got the vanity plate.

Why would you think the Volvo has a private plate? It is a 1990 motor car, so H prefix.

The plate on it now I'm sure is its original, I wondered if it had had a private plate before being returned to the present one. If you get my drift!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 10:46   #1096
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The plate on it now I'm sure is its original, I wondered if it had had a private plate before being returned to the present one. If you get my drift!!!
I think the system would keep track of it.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 11:49   #1097
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Odd about the minimal MoT history, i had similar with the Jeep Cherokee i had, only showed the most recent MoT on the history when i first bought it, now it shows all the way back to 2006 with no breaks, except after 2017 when it had sat on a grass verge for 18 motnhs so was seriously rusty by the time it reached the test centre some 12-18 months after the previous MoT expired.

Could simply be an anomaly with the DVLA/VOSA or it may hide something more like being off the road for 15+ years. This would concur with the recent V5 change - bought for tuppence ha'penny and a brass farthing, revived and MoT'd and put up for sale.

It looks like a rough diamond, could be a good car for someone but if it has stood for several years, especially around the Holt area which is close to (but not on) the coast, it may have suffered the "sea breeze effect" and have latent rust not listed on this MoT. It could also have a lot of niggles where things are made to work again after a long lay up.

Definitely one for an enthusiast!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 12:36   #1098
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Odd about the minimal MoT history, i had similar with the Jeep Cherokee i had, only showed the most recent MoT on the history when i first bought it, now it shows all the way back to 2006 with no breaks, except after 2017 when it had sat on a grass verge for 18 motnhs so was seriously rusty by the time it reached the test centre some 12-18 months after the previous MoT expired.

Could simply be an anomaly with the DVLA/VOSA or it may hide something more like being off the road for 15+ years. This would concur with the recent V5 change - bought for tuppence ha'penny and a brass farthing, revived and MoT'd and put up for sale.

It looks like a rough diamond, could be a good car for someone but if it has stood for several years, especially around the Holt area which is close to (but not on) the coast, it may have suffered the "sea breeze effect" and have latent rust not listed on this MoT. It could also have a lot of niggles where things are made to work again after a long lay up.

It's a mysterious bird at present. FD makes it a Dudley, sorry DudLAY, car originally.
That just adds to the murk!

Wish it had come on a few days ago, would have liked a gander at it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 13:10   #1099
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

Quote:
It's a mysterious bird at present. FD makes it a Dudley, sorry DudLAY, car originally.
That just adds to the murk!

Wish it had come on a few days ago, would have liked a gander at it!
I think Dave has it right - it may just be a DVLA glitch, or it may have been sitting under a haystack for 15 years, bought for scrap, had an oily rag wiped over it one weekend and got through the MoT test at the second go - und so weiter. On the other hand it may be a hidden gem, only used to go to the bingo at the Dudley Mecca on a Thursday eve until its aged owner stopped driving and gave it to his grandson, having been fully serviced, garaged and looked after for the past 30 years.

The only ways to find out would be either to view, or ask the seller whether he minds taking a call to discuss via the eBay messaging system. You don't sound keen enough to make the trip to Norfolk again Andrew, but how about arranging to call the seller? If he is genuine (and so is the motor car) I think you will know within moments.

I'd say arranging a call would be well worthwhile if you are even slightly interested Andrew. I would not have thought this one would go for big money (as I think I said above, about £1,500-£2,000) and that would be a bargain if it really is a genuine low mileage, well cared for motor car.

Just my thoughts... if it was me I'd have been driving to Holt for a look by now :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 10th, 2021 at 13:11. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 13:25   #1100
Moomoo
VOC Member

I think I'll wait for summat a bit closer.