Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 834599

Replies : 6326

Users Viewing This Thread : Othen

Old Oct 31st, 2021, 06:32   #1221
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
I know a number of people who restore old classics, not just e-type Jags but the weird and wonderful and also the boggo basic rare stuff for which surprisingly there is a strong but limited market for. The pink pound pays strong for cars many would dismiss lol.

They (the dealers/restorers) do ask crazy high values but they are happy to sit it out, sometimes cars move out quick but sometimes many months or even years, unlike us punters who want the thing rid of inside 3-weeks they seem happy to have it sit in a showroom.

That car needs the roof painting, the paint is shot, a restorers attitude would be if we paint the roof, we'll have to do the stone chips on the bonnet, likely most panels will have a scratch or mark, so we may as well just paint the entire car. - This was a conversation I had with a guy who will be restoring a 480 coupe we have secured a deal on.

The rust around the window is no big deal, just pop the window out, you'd take it out to do a proper paint job anyway, it 50 quid to have done.

The context I'm talking here is concourse restoration btw, not a back street what can you do for 200 quid type of thing.

Dealers margins - I don't know of a dealer (and I know a few who deal with this kind of stuff) who would want to see much less than 2k profit out of it.

As for its value and it retail potential I wouldn't like to say, but if the car was 1500 quid and a dealer is in for a full paint job and it hanging around a forecourt for 6 months you'd guess they would want a retail price of 5500?

Not saying they would get that, just putting in my 2p based on all the years and connections and people I know who do this for a living, and non of them live in a 3-bed semi like I did so they must be doing something right lol.
Well, maybe you are right. My point is that is not backed up with evidence we are seeing in this thread, that is all. We have seen lots of very good cars advertised at well over £6,000 (some of them pristine and with immaculate provenance) but little evidence of them making anything near the asking prices.

You are right about dealers asking very high prices just on the off chance of a willing buyer with too much cash coming along. I noticed this bike for sale the other day:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154665667...53.m1438.l2649

... it is a Royal Enfield Pegasus - a very limited edition only made in 2018, there will only be a hundred or so in the UK. I have one of these bikes and so occasionally monitor prices. These bikes were 5 grand new, plus some OTR costs, so most would have sold for about £5,500. This dealer is asking £10,000 - will he/she get that much? I doubt it, but obviously the dealer thinks it is worth a go just in case it is what someone really wants.

Here in the UK we seems to have too much money chasing too little stuff at the moment (I suspect you will have the same in Europe - and every other place that followed quantitative easing); that will lead to a dose of inflation for most currencies as the value of money falls, I think that is inevitable because the money supply has increased so much over the past 15 years.

Even taking that into account, I'm not convinced it will be possible to polish in a £3,000 shine to the old bus we were talking about (still no bids on it at £1,500). That is central tenet of this thread though: monitoring absurd prices to see if they ever become real values. Seriously?

As always, I think this issue is a really worthwhile discussion (otherwise I wouldn't contribute to it).

Alan :-)

Last edited by Othen; Oct 31st, 2021 at 06:41. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 06:50   #1222
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Our friend in Bolton has found another gem!
245 on fleabay!

Don't know how to do linky stuff.
This one Andrew?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234262772...YAAOSwa~FhfPIP

... I'm pretty sure we have seen this one previously. I don't recall what the asking price was then.

The auction seems to be going very well indeed: up to £7,100 already and with 31 bids from 11 different bidders in just one day! There seems to be a frenzy for this one - sometimes one wonders whether it is all genuine.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 31st, 2021 at 06:53. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 07:58   #1223
Moomoo
VOC Member

Aye, that one!

Much obliged.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 08:16   #1224
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Aye, that one!

Much obliged.
My pleasure.

I'll watch this one and see what it goes for. It is a very good motor car indeed by the look of the ad, I'd say at least as good as the one we saw advertised at 10 grand that eventually sold on C&C (for £6,800 if I recall). This one is already over that price but not even at its reserve.

I think we have seen a similar pattern of bidding previously with this seller: lots of very rich bids very early on, then no activity at all for the vast majority of the auction. We have discussed the possibility of shill bidding to drive up the price, but surely it would be all to difficult to coordinate so many bidders (there are 11 different bidders)?

Perhaps prices are increasing? I'm not sure, this motor car may show us what is happening in the market?

Alan
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 08:20   #1225
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
My pleasure.

I'll watch this one and see what it goes for. It is a very good motor car indeed by the look of the ad, I'd say at least as good as the one we saw advertised at 10 grand that eventually sold on C&C (for £6,800 if I recall). This one is already over that price but not even at its reserve.

I think we have seen a similar pattern of bidding previously with this seller: lots of very rich bids very early on, then no activity at all for the vast majority of the auction. We have discussed the possibility of shill bidding to drive up the price, but surely it would be all to difficult to coordinate so many bidders (there are 11 different bidders)?

Perhaps prices are increasing? I'm not sure, this motor car may show us what is happening in the market?

Alan
We'll see Alan! It's all grist to the mill!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 08:25   #1226
Moomoo
VOC Member

There is a great example of a seaside rot box for sale in Oban on fleabay. Dear, dear me!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 10:31   #1227
jasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
This one Andrew?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234262772...YAAOSwa~FhfPIP

... I'm pretty sure we have seen this one previously. I don't recall what the asking price was then.

The auction seems to be going very well indeed: up to £7,100 already and with 31 bids from 11 different bidders in just one day! There seems to be a frenzy for this one - sometimes one wonders whether it is all genuine.

Alan
says deposit now taken!
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 11:21   #1228
ilmiont
VOC Member

The £7k GLT estate is nice to see... the perfect colour and trim combination for me, if only it was a saloon. I wouldn't want to pay that much for one though, but the 55k miles and one owner status of this car are probably working in its favour. Personally I'd want something higher mileage; I like cars with a more extensive usage history. 55k miles over 32 years is less than 2k a year.

As for the Oban GL saloon... my goodness, that's the one I saw being trailered through the town centre while I was there three weeks ago! Only had a glance of it (I was driving out) but the plate was definitely H812. I only got a good look at the rear and thought it looked OK - well the photo of the rear in the eBay ad supports that view, but nothing else does!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilmiont For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 11:41   #1229
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post
The £7k GLT estate is nice to see... the perfect colour and trim combination for me, if only it was a saloon. I wouldn't want to pay that much for one though, but the 55k miles and one owner status of this car are probably working in its favour. Personally I'd want something higher mileage; I like cars with a more extensive usage history. 55k miles over 32 years is less than 2k a year.

As for the Oban GL saloon... my goodness, that's the one I saw being trailered through the town centre while I was there three weeks ago! Only had a glance of it (I was driving out) but the plate was definitely H812. I only got a good look at the rear and thought it looked OK - well the photo of the rear in the eBay ad supports that view, but nothing else does!
That is one only for the very brave hearted! The ad is refreshingly candid - but one would have to really want a project like that to take it on.

:-)
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 11:43   #1230
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
says deposit now taken!
It is a pity we will not see what it sells for then. It is odd that the seller seems to have left the auction running having already sold the motor car.

Alan