Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 803094

Replies : 6184

Users Viewing This Thread : Steve 940

Old Nov 28th, 2021, 09:53   #1351
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
This one really is a Seriously?!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265424936...UAAOSwkoVhokW1

330,000 miles, full of rust and no MoT and an abysmal MoT history... but the seller is still looking for 2 grand for this £600 motor car!

Some people :-)
The MOT history is enlightening! Worked to death, poor thing, I suspect.

Could break well, shame but there it is!☹️
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 09:59   #1352
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
The MOT history is enlightening! Worked to death, poor thing, I suspect.

Could break well, shame but there it is!☹️
It certainly has not been looked after. One would be foolish to take this on as a project, but the parts should be well worth £600, although saying that I wouldn’t want to fit a 330,000 mile gearbox, engine or axle to another motor car!

Last edited by Othen; Nov 28th, 2021 at 10:01.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 10:45   #1353
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
It certainly has not been looked after. One would be foolish to take this on as a project, but the parts should be well worth £600, although saying that I wouldn’t want to fit a 330,000 mile gearbox, engine or axle to another motor car!
I was just lusting over the black leather, no other reason for the ,breaking idea!
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 10:51   #1354
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I was just lusting over the black leather, no other reason for the ,breaking idea!
Even the leather isn't that great Andrew! Also remember that drivers seat will be saggy after 300k miles!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 11:01   #1355
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Even the leather isn't that great Andrew! Also remember that drivers seat will be saggy after 300k miles!
I suppose the interior may have some use - even after 330,000 miles of being sat on, the wheels might be worth £150, but will probably need scrubbing down and re-painting. I can't see the mechanical parts having much value, no one in their right mind would fit 330,000 mile old engine, gearbox, axle, brakes or steering. The rest depends on whether the breaker has time to sell individual parts, there will always be someone who needs the ashtray or the heated rear screen switch :-)

The seller is probably sincere and well-meaning, but I really can't see that rusty heap that he bought intending to make into a turbo project before he realised he had bitten off more than he could chew recouping much of his money.

:-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Nov 28th, 2021 at 12:00. Reason: Spelling error.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 11:49   #1356
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I noticed the outer edges of the drivers seat were conveniently out of shot!
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 12:27   #1357
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I noticed the outer edges of the drivers seat were conveniently out of shot!
Maybe but there's enough in the image to strongly suggest the bolster is shot to bits!

If you look at the shape of the backrest on the outer edge as it goes towards the seat base and compare it to the other side, you can see the line of the seat is splaying outwards away from the interior. This usually happens when the bolster on both the backrest and cushion is just about shot to bits. He managed a complete shot of the rear seats - why not the fronts?

The fact there is something missing leads us to suspect the worst, if it's not that bad why not include it?

The car itself is either a spares mule or a brave restoration, if being restored then the engine, box and preferably back axle would need a rebuild as i daresay most of the parts from it would if it becomes a spares mule.

If bought as a resto, the cost would make it prohibitive to do as a profit making exercise. As a spares mule, the seats aren't good enough to sell for good money, the oily bits are going to be well past their sell-by date which doesn't leave much. Either way i see it as a £3-500 car at best with the option to purchase an engine that will need the specific injection loom to fit as well as the injectors, ECU, injector ballast resistor and so on. It will also need an electronic speed sensor or will suffer from raised idle speed problems. The turbo engine offered with it is only ~30bhp more than what's in it already so probably not worth the work to convert it for the sake of ~25% power increase against losing the originality.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 12:54   #1358
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Maybe but there's enough in the image to strongly suggest the bolster is shot to bits!

If you look at the shape of the backrest on the outer edge as it goes towards the seat base and compare it to the other side, you can see the line of the seat is splaying outwards away from the interior. This usually happens when the bolster on both the backrest and cushion is just about shot to bits. He managed a complete shot of the rear seats - why not the fronts?

The fact there is something missing leads us to suspect the worst, if it's not that bad why not include it?

The car itself is either a spares mule or a brave restoration, if being restored then the engine, box and preferably back axle would need a rebuild as i daresay most of the parts from it would if it becomes a spares mule.

If bought as a resto, the cost would make it prohibitive to do as a profit making exercise. As a spares mule, the seats aren't good enough to sell for good money, the oily bits are going to be well past their sell-by date which doesn't leave much. Either way i see it as a £3-500 car at best with the option to purchase an engine that will need the specific injection loom to fit as well as the injectors, ECU, injector ballast resistor and so on. It will also need an electronic speed sensor or will suffer from raised idle speed problems. The turbo engine offered with it is only ~30bhp more than what's in it already so probably not worth the work to convert it for the sake of ~25% power increase against losing the originality.
I rather hope it doesn't sell to someone unsuspecting, then we have a new member to the forum wanting to know how to repair all the rust at the back, rebuild the gearbox, axle, suspension and brakes, fit a turbo motor... in a few months time. That has happened several times previously :-)

Last edited by Othen; Nov 28th, 2021 at 13:00.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 13:01   #1359
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I rather hope it doesn't sell to someone unsuspecting, then we have a new member to the forum wanting to know how to repair all the rust at the back, rebuild the gearbox, axle, suspension and brakes, fit a turbo motor... in a few months. That has happened several times previously :-)
I'll echo that mate, I remember some of the basket-case Land Rovers that some folks bought!
Enthusiasm over reality. Oh dear. Pitiful to watch as the reality bit dawned.☹️
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 14:00   #1360
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I rather hope it doesn't sell to someone unsuspecting, then we have a new member to the forum wanting to know how to repair all the rust at the back, rebuild the gearbox, axle, suspension and brakes, fit a turbo motor... in a few months time. That has happened several times previously :-)
Happens all too frequently sadly, people don't carry out due diligence and think that because all the other similar cars for sale are the same age and they're running fine, the prospective horror machine will also run fine. It comes as a nasty shock to most that they can't just throw some service parts at it and hey presto, it's in showroom condition in a weekend!

Quote:
I'll echo that mate, I remember some of the basket-case Land Rovers that some folks bought!
Enthusiasm over reality. Oh dear. Pitiful to watch as the reality bit dawned.☹️
Same here Andrew although not with Land Rovers specifically unless you count one particular Range-Rover - it's a ~1986/7 and one of the very early Vogue SE models, for this reason and its myriad maladies it gained the moniker "Strange Rover Vaguest", i'll let your imagination run riot but tin worm was aplenty as were mechanical faults.
The guy who owned it put up a valiant effort but in the end conceded defeat and bought a 75 Tourer with the horrible BMW oil burner under the bonnet. Not sure what happened to the Rangey in the end.
In fairness he wasn't a stranger to restoration and was a pretty decent mechanic in his own right, unlike a lot of the people that have recently decided to buy an old Volvo (or any other car for that matter) and think a weekends work will see it in councours d'elegance condition mechanically and cosmetically.