Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

End of my c30 d5

Views : 2660

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2021, 13:22   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielpsmith View Post
my wife is thinking she wants a different car maybe a 1 series bmw
Very different driving experience so I'd recommend long test drives and ideally in the worst weather to get a proper feel for the car.
My sister loved her 1 series but found rear wheel drive and run flat tyres borderline dangerous in Winter conditions.
You need your wits about you if you want even mild fun driving.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 14:54   #12
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Appreciate that thank you, they offered us £1869 for the car but I’m challenging it at the moment saying I can’t get anything close for that price so just sent them some examples of similar cars which are £3000+.

So hopefully they will come back with abit more.

But my wife is thinking she wants a different car maybe a 1 series bmw saying another Volvo will never be the same and we will always compare it to the other one. Which to be fair I probably will 😀
bmw 1 series
Rear wheel drive
winter is here
kids in the back
not a wise move, style over substance

i totally understand the "will be comparing the two" if you got another C30, it IS worth the "discussion/row" to push for another volvo, they are All still here, bit bruised, bit shaken but Here. says Volvo have passenger safety Right.

£3k will net you a Decent S40 /V50 series ,unsure if it will get to V70 series in the same sort of condition, all with more doors
that or get a 2nd XC90
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 15:12   #13
Kev0607
Premier Member

A 1 series BMW is useless for kids in the back. There’s literally no leg room for a kid, nevermind child seats etc! You need an estate.

If its just a car for your Wife to use, with the XC90 being the load lugger, then I can see why a BMW 1 series would be an option. They are popular, small & stylish… I’d still have a Volvo over it any day.

Consider a VW Golf or Seat Leon - Much more room than a 1 series BMW. In fact, they’re surprisingly roomy for a car of their size. 1 series BMW’s are just cramped & aren’t really a 4 door car because you can’t fit anything in the back anyway. They do look nice though.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 18th, 2021 at 15:19.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 15:25   #14
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Cramped interior, poor equipment on the cooking models, not terribly well made or finished, expensive to ensure... really have very little to recommend them over a Focus of Golf except for the BMW badge, and the smaller models dont have the kudos to match the badge anyway.
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 16:26   #15
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Thank you for the replies the wife was asking me earlier if the rear wheel drive makes a difference and I’ve not had one before so that is good advice to tell her .

She just wants something small again to nip around in but can have the kids comfortably in the back as well we have upped our budget to around the 4k mark maybe a touch more so hoping something comes up but I am back working nights tonight until Monday so not that easy to view.

Cheers again all and will keep you updated

Daniel
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danielpsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 01:16   #16
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you for the replies the wife was asking me earlier if the rear wheel drive makes a difference and I’ve not had one before so that is good advice to tell her .

Daniel
Totally makes a Very big difference
RWD is Great for hanging the rear end out when you want to
its also a Different technique to taking a corner,

not knocking you or your wifes driving abilities in Any way, but getting a RWD in winter as a kid transport when neither have driven rwd in Bad road conditions/ wet/cold or If we have any ,snow, your going to have a Steep learning curve to keep it pointing the right way.

Fwd "pulls the car"
RWD pushes,,spin city when your not used to it and the road conditions are less than "ideal".

there Is a reason why when there is 2inches of snow you see cars abandoned causing obstructions for every one else, check out How many are RWD cars next time you get snow,,,

having said all of that, Master RWD , be aware of the How you need to drive to stay right side up + pointing the right way, add the Weight you Need to add over the rear axel, and you can sail past (at slow speed due to snow) all sorts of cars where the drivers are clueless,,

mate had a M3, Totally lovely car, 1st winter he had it it got Sold as soon as he could and went back to a fwd ford ,,,and he Really loved the M3!

ignore the misses, get yourself a Volvo T5 and leave her the xc90 its "safe wife/safe kids" transport
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 08:55   #17
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
Totally makes a Very big difference
RWD is Great for hanging the rear end out when you want to
its also a Different technique to taking a corner,

not knocking you or your wifes driving abilities in Any way, but getting a RWD in winter as a kid transport when neither have driven rwd in Bad road conditions/ wet/cold or If we have any ,snow, your going to have a Steep learning curve to keep it pointing the right way.

Fwd "pulls the car"
RWD pushes,,spin city when your not used to it and the road conditions are less than "ideal".

there Is a reason why when there is 2inches of snow you see cars abandoned causing obstructions for every one else, check out How many are RWD cars next time you get snow,,,

having said all of that, Master RWD , be aware of the How you need to drive to stay right side up + pointing the right way, add the Weight you Need to add over the rear axel, and you can sail past (at slow speed due to snow) all sorts of cars where the drivers are clueless,,

mate had a M3, Totally lovely car, 1st winter he had it it got Sold as soon as he could and went back to a fwd ford ,,,and he Really loved the M3!

ignore the misses, get yourself a Volvo T5 and leave her the xc90 its "safe wife/safe kids" transport
Absolutely spot on in the snow with RWD, especially if on even the slightest incline!
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 08:22   #18
iainmd

Depends which 1 series you're talking about. The current F40 1 series is front wheel drive although all the previous ones were RWD. My old man has an F40 118i twin clutch auto and it's an absolute joy to drive. The old BMW purists bemoan "it's not a proper BMW" but frankly it's one of the last models without that totally hideous beaver toothed massive grille and I love the way it drives.

I'd also add that the current 1 series has plenty room in the back by comparison to the previous versions. I'm 6ft and have no problem with space in the rear of it. It's also got a reasonable sized boot for the size of car.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 12:03   #19
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Must admit my e class sometimes catches me out a little when the road is damp trying to turn right in a small gap in traffic.

Snow might make it fun but I'm sure I'll manage. Not sure I'd want to be facing snow if I'd just brought it through and wasn't used to how it handles.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 14:45   #20
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Must admit my e class sometimes catches me out a little when the road is damp trying to turn right in a small gap in traffic.

Snow might make it fun but I'm sure I'll manage. Not sure I'd want to be facing snow if I'd just brought it through and wasn't used to how it handles.
try buying a 2.8i capri Just before winter and one of those Proper winters with almost a foot of snow , a 45min (in the dry) rural roads trip to work daily,