Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Cambelt change Quote

Views : 2859

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2021, 18:47   #1
ushes

Default XC60 Cambelt change Quote

I have a 2014 (63plate) XC60 D5 AWD 215 bhp. I have 69k miles on it and I'm getting a bit twitchy about the cambelt and aux belts which are now 8Yrs old.
Its into Stonacre in Sunderland for a seat belt recall later this week so I asked for a cambelt and Aux belt quote.
They've come back with £575 for the cambelt with tensioner, aux belt with tensioner. I've just serviced the car recently so no service needed.

Does that seems reasonable ?

Can anyone recommend a local Indy that would use the genuine parts, just so I can make a comparison on price?
Thanks
Steve
ushes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 19:16   #2
misiequk

Default XC60 Cambelt change Quote

Unfortunately Volvo main dealers are not cheap. The price quoted by them sounds more less same as my quote from Snows Volvo Southampton for the same service. As it was a bit over the roof for me, I decided to do the job as a DYI challenge (please take in to consideration that I have a car mechanic experience and I know what I was doing). I have bought genuine Volvo parts online (cam belt kit, A/C bet and Aux belt) for £178 and took me about 2 hours to get the job done - the A/C belt installation is a bit tricky but can be done without special tools.
Independent garage will charge you around £400 if you want genuine parts, if you go for INA or other replacement - may be less.

I understand, that you are getting stressed about age of the belt but Volvo recommends cam belt re-placement at 108000 miles. Up to you, but I think you are safe for a few (more) thousand miles - don't panic.

A CURIO:
I have replaced my timing belt kit at 112000miles on 2010 XC60 D5. All belts on the car were original (all from 2009 marked Volvo) and I could not believe how sound the (old) belt and tensioners were - both timing belt tensioners with no sign of any wear, turning exactly like the new ones (with tiny resistance. People who had new roller in hands will know what I am talking about) - l bet the old set (belt and tensioners) could do another 100000 miles without any problems.
misiequk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 19:44   #3
ushes

Thanks for the reply, I priced up the parts too at around £200 and in fact I ordered them but they failed to arrive. I spoke to a local garage who weren't interested in doing the work unless they bought the parts themselves so it seemed a blessing in disguise.

Good to know that the originals seem to do the miles without a problem.
It's reading the posts on the forum that makes me twitchy, alternator pulleys failing aux belts snapping etc

Hopefully someone can recommend a good local Indy, then I'll get it sorted

Thanks
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 19:50   #4
Toprivetguns

Thats a good price from Volvo IMHO. I paid £500 at a very good independent for same work.
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 19:57   #5
ushes

Looking at the price of the parts around £200, thats £375 labour.
misiequk reckons he did it in a couple of hours, thats quite a labour charge I think for 2hrs work dont you think?
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 19:57   #6
misiequk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushes View Post

"Good to know that the originals seem to do the miles without a problem.
It's reading the posts on the forum that makes me twitchy, alternator pulleys failing aux belts snapping etc"

I heard the stories / read about - but belts or pulleys don't brake too often without early signs of wear - check them on weekly basis for damage/noise and that should keep you in a comfort zone.
I was a bit like you as my belts were overdue, but as I stated in previous post, the original kits installed on these cars are bulletproof and I am sure kit which I took out from my 11yrs old XC60 could do much more. If you want some peace of mind and can't afford the cam belt kit at the moment maybe just go for Aux kit as this is the one causing problems. I can recommend DAYCO belts - reasonable price and good quality.
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 20:10   #7
TeamG
Master Member

I got a Gates aux belt for my D4 for £9 from Autodoc a couple of years ago when they were cheapest for the other service parts. My original Volvo one was fraying at 2 years old, so I changed just the belt. At that price, you can just chuck one on every other service and do the tensioner at the recommended age/mileage. The Gates one looks as new now (2 years later, but only about 3-4k miles) with the print as legible and clear as the day I put it on. Mileage will soon rapidly increase though, so happy to get a Volvo one for the next change.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 20:21   #8
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Thats a ballpark price. Paid roughly the same at the dealer for the same job on my XC90 D5 in 2019, and consodered that a reasonable price at the time.
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 21:44   #9
misiequk

Quote:
Looking at the price of the parts around £200, thats £375 labour.
misiequk reckons he did it in a couple of hours, thats quite a labour charge I think for 2hrs work dont you think?
Volvo labour charges are £80+ per hour + part + VAT.
Fact that you have sourced parts for £200 does not mean they will charge you the same when you buy from them. Example from my past experience - when I quoted a job from Volvo they gave me prices for parts and labour - as usual looked too expensive so I bought part only form them and guess what - the part was cheaper on its own than the one on their quote for the job and parts - interesting, isn't it? Sometimes I don't understand their sale policies but well... this is the world we live in.
If you have a basic knowledge about mechanics you could do the job in 2 hrs with basic tools (impact wrench with 32mm socket, T60 for Aux pulley, knife to cut off old A/C belt, 6mm hex and few basic spanners). Otherwise garage, but as you can see for a simple job they charge a small fortune.

Last edited by misiequk; Nov 16th, 2021 at 21:47.
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 21:52   #10
JRS80

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I priced up the parts too at around £200 and in fact I ordered them but they failed to arrive. I spoke to a local garage who weren't interested in doing the work unless they bought the parts themselves so it seemed a blessing in disguise.

Good to know that the originals seem to do the miles without a problem.
It's reading the posts on the forum that makes me twitchy, alternator pulleys failing aux belts snapping etc

Hopefully someone can recommend a good local Indy, then I'll get it sorted

Thanks
You aren’t a million miles from Hutton Bros near York. They are a well respected Volvo Indy and have looked after my car for several years now. Top notch.

BTW my 14 plate is on 71k now and I’m not getting twitchy about my cam belt “just yet” !!!

Previously owned:
2005 V70 2.4 SE Auto 170
1999 V70 2.4 SE Auto 140

Last edited by JRS80; Nov 16th, 2021 at 21:54.
JRS80 is offline   Reply With Quote