Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D2 tuning tips?

Views : 1648

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2021, 09:21   #1
Tiller

Default D2 tuning tips?

I am considering tuning of the D2 engine in my 2013 V60. 114bhp
Any experiences with this here?
I can consider both remapping and tuning box.

How is the access to the wires for the tuning box for the D2 engine?
I fitted a box to a 2008 V50 1.6D. Access to the wire was extremely fiddly
Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 09:38   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

I'd be swapping it for a standard D3 or D4.

It would give me more power, better performance and, if a 2013 vehicle, a lovely 5-cylinder engine to top things off.

I know that isn't your plan, but just saying....
Sotosound is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 10:18   #3
Tiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
I'd be swapping it for a standard D3 or D4.

It would give me more power, better performance and, if a 2013 vehicle, a lovely 5-cylinder engine to top things off.

I know that isn't your plan, but just saying....
I was expecting a lot of comments on "just buy another engine".
Thats not always what you want.
I got a mint condition, low milage R-Design V60 with full service history, 1 owner car for a bargine through a family member.
For the same price i could get a large diesel or petrol engine car with higher milage, less maintained ect.
Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 14:50   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiller View Post
I was expecting a lot of comments on "just buy another engine".
Thats not always what you want.
I got a mint condition, low milage R-Design V60 with full service history, 1 owner car for a bargine through a family member.......
.....with the engine from a lawnmower under the bonnet.

The 1.6 doesn't respond well to tuning - and tuning boxes are anything but they fiddle the out put of sensors to burn more fuel they are rarely a proper "re-map".

It's not just the engine either it's the brakes, suspension, wheels etc. if you want to go faster - far better to buy a car with that performance designed in - D4 or D5.

I'm not saying the D2 is a bad model - it's not - but it is the economy version and works best left as it was designed.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 15:17   #5
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
.....with the engine from a lawnmower under the bonnet.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 15:22   #6
glynh

A quick google seems it can be remapped, potentially 140Bhp and 40ish + Nms (thats what the site quoted), but they never show prices.

All depends really on what you want, but dont expect big numbers, its only a small engine to begin with and the V60 is quite heavy so probably best to leave it as it is so when you sell on the 2 owner well cared for low milage car will be worth slightly more.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 15:33   #7
Pointer7

I have to say I'd start with a D4 or D5, much stronger base and can take more power, easier to overstress a D2 I would imagine than a bigger engine model but I can see why you'd want to tune it if it's a mint example.

The best tune I would say is maybe go for more torque and make it nicer to drive rather than go for all out power...
Pointer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 15:36   #8
Whippy
Premier Member

Don't bother with 'tuning boxes' invariably a con job. A proper remap on the other hand done be a reputable tuner can transform a car. It won't be cheap but that's up to you. Don't expect miracles however, you're starting from a lowish base and there are (sensible) limits. A good tuner will lay out the options and both the upside and downside. Good luck.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 16:25   #9
Rocinante
Master Member

£399.95 for an ECU remap to take the car from 115bhp to 140, and 270Nm to 320. 20% increase in BHP doesn't seem to shabby.

https://www.amdtuning.com/product/vo...-diesel-remap/

"Guaranteed Results.
We guarantee your satisfaction with an AmD Tuning remap and offer a no quibble 30 day money back guarantee if not completely satisfied with the results."

Just found it from Google, so can't make any informed appraisal of it, but I doubt those dismissing the engine as a lawnmower engine have any experience either. You are increasing the stress on the engine beyond the manufacturers intentions, but that applies to any after market tune.

As for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
It's not just the engine either it's the brakes, suspension, wheels etc. if you want to go faster - far better to buy a car with that performance designed in - D4 or D5.
The brakes, suspension, or wheels* weren't any different, across engine ranges and only varied straying in to r-design models.

*Wheels obviously vary, but are spec dependant, rather than engine dependant. ie a D2 SE Lux will have better wheels than a more powerful D4 ES.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 18:50   #10
Whippy
Premier Member

If that's a full ECU remap with rolling road before n after then that's a steal.