Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vida dice

Views : 2826

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2020, 15:37   #31
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palwing View Post
DM me if it’s more suitable?
Pm sent.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 16:01   #32
palwing

Thanks Cheshire...replied.
palwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 00:16   #33
Agro

Quote:
Originally Posted by palwing View Post
Hi Cheshire.

I recently purchased one of those new fandangled Lenovo LapTops with a 64GB SSD and a 128GB memory card slotted in the side plus 4GB ram. I can run an external HD via the USB 3.0 slots. It’s running 64bit Win10, but as with a lot of new Laptops, it does NOT have a DVD/CD drive. However, I see USB 3.0 external CD drives are not too expensive.

Is it suitable for your Vice/Vida setup? Any info much appreciated. Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
It's more like netbook/notebook specs rather than laptop but it does support Virtualization.

Whilst dual core with no multithreading is not an issue if the clock speed is decent, @ just 1.1GHz, it will run a VM but don't expect great performance.

Vida-wise, it's alright for occasional use and certainly better than nothing.

I have a very similar Win 10 Notebook but haven't tried it because I thought that:

1. There's not enough free memory left in the 64GB main storage and didn't think it would run installed in the memory card.
2. If you set up a VM to run as WIN7 PRO you'll need a license key for it. Or is that incorrect?
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 01:00   #34
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
I have a very similar Win 10 Notebook but haven't tried it because I thought that:

1. There's not enough free memory left in the 64GB main storage and didn't think it would run installed in the memory card.
2. If you set up a VM to run as WIN7 PRO you'll need a license key for it. Or is that incorrect?
1. If it supports Virtualization, I don't see why not but as above, don't expect amazing performance.
2. The 7 Professional VM works fine without a license key as does 10 Pro. Keys cost around £4 on eBay if you want one though.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 01:20   #35
Agro

Thumbs up

Quote:
1. If it supports Virtualization, I don't see why not but as above, don't expect amazing performance.
2. The 7 Professional VM works fine without a license key as does 10 Pro. Keys cost around £4 on eBay if you want one though.
Don't you sleep?

Thanks for that, CPU spec says it does - [Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ‡ = Yes]

I'll get myself a memory card and see if I can stumble through the installation - will likely also need a fresh bottle of whiskey to calm the nerves. If I can get it installed on this notebook and my win7 home prem desktop I'll be happy.

Hopefully I can find a youtube clip in english to help.
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 01:03   #36
Agro

Exclamation Help Needed

Hoping for some help here.

Have upgraded a Win7 Home Prem desktop to Win7 PRO.

Unpacked and installed Vida 2014D Direct Installer.7z

Program installed fine as far as I can see (maybe not).

Double click "VIDA All-In-One" shortcut and opens main page in Explorer 11.

Go to enter User Name in field box.
Will not allow me to type anything in the User Name Field Box so can't log in. It's like the keyboard is dead (but isn't).
Icon in taskbar says Vida is running

Is there anything I've missed?
Any patches etc.. to install?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Agro; Aug 13th, 2020 at 01:16.
Agro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 02:07   #37
cheshired5
Premier Member

If the sellers files and instructions are good, they are followed exactly and your hard drive is good, there's no reason why it shouldn't install and run just so.

I'd recheck the basics then contact the seller if necessary as the list of possibilities why Vida doesn't install and run correctly are long.
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 02:18   #38
Agro

Quote:
If the sellers files and instructions are good, they are followed exactly and your hard drive is good, there's no reason why it shouldn't install and run just so.

I'd recheck the basics then contact the seller if necessary as the list of possibilities why Vida doesn't install and run correctly are long.
I got this from the Swedespeed forum. The direct install says "just download the file 2014D Installer.7z. This file contains everything you should need to install including patches and updates" so I thought all would be good. The couple of youtube clips were simple enough to follow.

I guess I'll have to uninstall and try again. Never had so much trouble with software
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 02:33   #39
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
Never had so much trouble with software
I'm not daft with computers but it took me about 3 months when I first got Dice and Vida to get it running correctly.
A combination of corrupt files, dodgy Dice units and clueless sellers who have never been near a Volvo let alone used the equipment on one and they'd only answer one email a day.

I'm all for everyone doing a home project for free but the above is why I decided to provide guaranteed working Dice/VCX/Vida solutions for those who don't relish the "enjoyable challenge" of getting Dice and Vida to work.

Good luck and I hope you get sorted. It is at least worth it in the end.
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 12:19   #40
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The elephant in the room when discussing VIDA installation is that the software is pirated. There is a price to be paid for not buying the real thing and that is that there are all sorts of workarounds that have to be employed to get the unofficial software versions to work without failing. Sometimes the sellers have done most of the work for you and sometimes they either don't know how to circumvent the inbuilt security systems in the software and they give instructions that they have copied from elsewhere or they don't fully understand the installation problems that you may encounter and often they are Chinese and their English is atrocious.

However you solve this problem and if you are happy to use software from an unapproved source, the rewards for getting the system to work are high. Modern cars are complex computer controlled electronic systems on wheels and without the means to interrogate the car's internal fault logs, you will have a hard time understanding exactly what is happening in the ECU. It's fair to say that an electronic diagnostics unit is as important as a set of socket spanners for a DIY car owner and even for an owner who uses a garage it is better to know what is wrong with the car before you hand it over to someone who may have a different agenda when it comes to charging you for auto maintenance and repair!

Last edited by Tatsfield; Aug 13th, 2020 at 12:27.
Tatsfield is offline   Reply With Quote