Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

discs

Views : 694

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2020, 16:57   #1
Bobbby3000

Default discs

i am now on my 2nd pair of front discs that are now starting to warp. could this be a caliper problem.the car is used every day i dont use exsesive brakeing .any ideas giys please.thanks Bob
Bobbby3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 17:06   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbby3000 View Post
i am now on my 2nd pair of front discs that are now starting to warp. could this be a caliper problem.the car is used every day i dont use exsesive brakeing .any ideas giys please.thanks Bob
What car and what mileage have the discs done? A little basic info helps tremendously.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 20:39   #3
AndyV7o
Premier Member

What brand discs are they? Do you have a sticking caliper perhaps? Do you hold car on footbrake after hard/long stops?
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 21:43   #4
happy diver
Active Member Moment

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/warped-brak...-internet-myth

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 21:56   #5
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy diver View Post
That doesnt mention (unless I missed it, only skimmed) the formation of cementite which results from overheating and localised heat concentration.
Some people say its not possible on a road car, but let me assure you, it is! Seen/dealt with it first-hand. No amount of skimming can solve the problem, new disks only.
Some discs are just bad, mintex for example, and wear/and/or deal with heat poorly causing distortion and/or variation of thickness, etc.
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 22:48   #6
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Replaced mine with Pagid disc and pads; no discernible difference from OEM in my opinion.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 22:55   #7
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
That doesnt mention (unless I missed it, only skimmed) the formation of cementite which results from overheating and localised heat concentration.
Some people say its not possible on a road car, but let me assure you, it is! Seen/dealt with it first-hand. No amount of skimming can solve the problem, new disks only.
Some discs are just bad, mintex for example, and wear/and/or deal with heat poorly causing distortion and/or variation of thickness, etc.
Interesting you say Mintex are bad. It's a make I have used for years and currently have them all round on both the xc70 and discovery 1. Have never has a problem with them.
I expect to change disks every 3rd set of pads no matter what make, be it volvo or Mintex and have never found them worn to minimum thickness after 2 sets of pads, would not last the 3rd set hence the change.

The only time I had a problem with a mintex disk was when I picked up a stone off road and scored one, hardly the risks fault.

Not doubting your experiences but interested why you feel this way as my experience differs, am I missing something?

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 23:54   #8
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Interesting you say Mintex are bad. It's a make I have used for years and currently have them all round on both the xc70 and discovery 1. Have never has a problem with them.
I expect to change disks every 3rd set of pads no matter what make, be it volvo or Mintex and have never found them worn to minimum thickness after 2 sets of pads, would not last the 3rd set hence the change.

The only time I had a problem with a mintex disk was when I picked up a stone off road and scored one, hardly the risks fault.

Not doubting your experiences but interested why you feel this way as my experience differs, am I missing something?

Paul.
I've had repeated trouble with them wearing badly, distorting, etc. I had rear drums which were oval. The quality is visibly poor. They were genuine.
Im not alone in this either, I have read many reports of the same and spoken with people who have had same/similar experiences. Some could be down to negligent fitting, buy myself and others, as experienced mechanics, both home and professional, have gone to lengths to ensure and verify correct fitment and use yet still had premature issues.
Now, law of averages states some will have no trouble like yourself, some will have mixed results, etc, but the proportion of trouble for mintex is far far too high to be acceptable.
They have been realigned by tmd friction to be a budget brand (they didn't have one prior to acquiring mintex) which was essentially confirmed when I posted about this realignment on mintex facebook page and their reply was 'TMD friction cater for all budgets and requirements, we offer something for everyone, from entry up to premium'.
Mintex pads work well, they are a bit harsh on discs, giving a grainy, blued finish rather than a silver burnished finish, but nonetheless stop well. The discs and drums however are poor.
In this price point area, Apec are much better, their discs are quite nice for the money and were what ended the mintex problem period. The pads, not for sustained high temps but strong braking for general use and not quite as harsh as mintex. Pads between the two, pretty even tbh, discs, Apec every day.
I usually use Textar/TRW/Febi discs and Ferodo/TRW/Textar pads. Im currently (up front) trying Ferodo discs (with Ferodo pads), so far so good, but not a year in yet... My current rears, as it fell when very very skint, are Unipart discs with Apec pads. 13 months in, discs are doing the job but wearing well, pads very strong but just started to squeal this last week. Probably need a clean and refit...
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 06:50   #9
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
I've had repeated trouble with them wearing badly, distorting, etc. I had rear drums which were oval. The quality is visibly poor. They were genuine.
Im not alone in this either, I have read many reports of the same and spoken with people who have had same/similar experiences. Some could be down to negligent fitting, buy myself and others, as experienced mechanics, both home and professional, have gone to lengths to ensure and verify correct fitment and use yet still had premature issues.
Now, law of averages states some will have no trouble like yourself, some will have mixed results, etc, but the proportion of trouble for mintex is far far too high to be acceptable.
They have been realigned by tmd friction to be a budget brand (they didn't have one prior to acquiring mintex) which was essentially confirmed when I posted about this realignment on mintex facebook page and their reply was 'TMD friction cater for all budgets and requirements, we offer something for everyone, from entry up to premium'.
Mintex pads work well, they are a bit harsh on discs, giving a grainy, blued finish rather than a silver burnished finish, but nonetheless stop well. The discs and drums however are poor.
In this price point area, Apec are much better, their discs are quite nice for the money and were what ended the mintex problem period. The pads, not for sustained high temps but strong braking for general use and not quite as harsh as mintex. Pads between the two, pretty even tbh, discs, Apec every day.
I usually use Textar/TRW/Febi discs and Ferodo/TRW/Textar pads. Im currently (up front) trying Ferodo discs (with Ferodo pads), so far so good, but not a year in yet... My current rears, as it fell when very very skint, are Unipart discs with Apec pads. 13 months in, discs are doing the job but wearing well, pads very strong but just started to squeal this last week. Probably need a clean and refit...
Interesting.
I buy from a local independant motor factor supplying into the trade ( including local volvo dealers) as well as personal customers, have done for the past 17 years. They have very few returns on mintex but it's a couple of years since I bought the discs and things change.
Will be sure to ask before buying next set. All the disks on the volvo have nice even brushed steel look, rears on the discovery are a bit discoloured but that is down to the car, unless heavy towing the rears do not do enough work to keep them clean no matter what disks are fitted so they are normal for the car.

Thanks for the reply.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: