Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash and stereo failure.

Views : 367

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2020, 13:45   #1
Jayvee1980
Daf 66SL. Volvo 340DL CVT

Default Dash and stereo failure.

Hi all.

I have a 2008 D5 manual XC90 with 192k on the clock. It’s been fine over the year that I have had it, until now.

It’s not been used daily during lock down as I have made the most of using my classic cars, but on a journey last week I noticed that the dash kept going off and at the same time so did the air con and blower. This happened a few times throughout the day, but it would all come back on. Then on one occasion the stereo went off with the bash and has not come back on since although the dash does and now tells me I have an ABS and anti skid fault as well as the airbag service message and the Speedo is defunc. I’m also pretty sure that my AWD is permanently engaged as when you switch on the ignition and it’s does it’s checks after the dash has come to life I hear a brief motor sound from the back axle, (not the electric fuel pump, I know what that sounds like) which I have never heard before. My previous XC I used to hear the same sound from the same position only after I parked up and had switched it all off.

I have had it plugged in and diagnostics cannot communicate with the ABS or Infotainment modules and don’t give any other indications of the problem other than there’s no power to these modules.

I’m leaning towards the CEM being duff as I have noticed that someone has previously bridged the ABS fuse with another and suddenly now with all this my self levelling headlights and adaptive front lighting is now working which it never has and now the stereo is dunfunc too the parking sensors are not alerting, but do these model years suffer with water ingress?

I have no sunroof and it’s never been wet in the car at all after rain or a car wash, but I am going to remove the CEM so I can’t get a part number to order another.

I’m just curious to hear whether anyone else has experienced this on a 2008 or later and what was the cause.

Thanks in adnavce,

James.

Last edited by Jayvee1980; Aug 10th, 2020 at 13:52.
Jayvee1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 19:14   #2
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Try charging the battery overnight (or longer) and see if that helps anything.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 16:46   #3
Jayvee1980
Daf 66SL. Volvo 340DL CVT

Thanks. Someone else suggested that too, but as I have two other cars to use I haven’t bothered yet but I will. Lol.
Jayvee1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cem failure, dash failure, electrical issue, icm failure