Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 , 07 road wheel

Views : 724

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2020, 19:08   #11
bman

Hi, these are the bolt on the wheel & the key.
The wheel bolt looks ok to me, the key looks scrap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20200810-WA0001.jpg (220.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20200807-WA0000.jpg (191.8 KB, 22 views)
bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 20:26   #12
Crash Bang

Just as an afterthought.

I know the tyre is flat but does it go down rapidly when pumped up? The thought here is to get it pumped up and if it dosnt go down to quickly, obviously depending of circumstances, get the car into a decent tire place or indy and let them sort it. They deal with these sort of things.

If she needs the car quickly, get a fixed price to get it towed somewhere. Again, just a thought. If not needed quickly then what the other chaps have said about getting the "key" makes sense.
Crash Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 20:55   #13
bman

hi again..

i had a look over the mcgard website, on there site it allows you to put the make & model of your car, then it gives you a list of the compatible parts (bolts / keys).
there was / is 5 or 6, so ive just checked the picture of the new part against my part, & i think theres a match.

so i said to the sister to take look over the pictures & see what she thinks.

just hope theres no damage on the bolt on the wheel.

the parts that came up are....

McGard - SU 27000SU

McGard - SL 27000SL

McGard - Black Edition 27000SUB

McGard - Hex Bolts Chrome 67205SU

I cant get to put a picture on here, but if you could copy & paste the part onto your web it will bring a picture.

Also asking a silly question, do all the above parts look the same number.. 2700S . .. ?
Would this mean the same cut / patttern.?
the 1 i need...
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 22:01   #14
Crash Bang

Made myself squint trying to look at that lot.

If you set on getting a replacement then maybe its time to get McGuard or the other place that was posted up, involved to assist.

Brute force is not pretty but works and quickly. Did you manage to look at some Youtube videos?
Some make it look a lot easier than it is, or at least as it was for me. I smashed off the outer bit, then used a 12mm cobalt drill bit and drilled it out. After that the head of the bolt or what was left of it, needed minor effort to turn off. After the wheel was off it was easy to get to the remains of the wheel bolt/stud with a vice grip. The others my local indie welded nuts on and all were off in 15/20 minutes.

Thats my 2 cents worth.
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 09:47   #15
bman

Smile

Cool, thanks crash bang, & to you all for your help.

not looked at many, but there was 1 took my eye, not sure if it's the way your explaining.
A guy uses a screw driver to break the top spinning part off then gets a part welded to the part that's off in his hand , then taps it back in the wheel bolt & turns out the bolt.
Looks easy. Hope...
I've pasted on the information to the sister, & I think her friends husband is going down to see if what he can do.
Thanks all. Talk to you later.
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 17:44   #16
Crash Bang

My indie in Gloucester, Fishers Volvo were a lot more gently than I was. I guess they have done this sort of thing many many times. They just welded nuts ( hmmm a nut) onto the lock wheel stud and used an impact to remove. No thrashing the spinning outer off, no violence at all.

Whilst a screwdriver might work, if i recall correctly, I had to really get after the
bastard to get it sorted. I was actually going to cut the rim off at one stage as I was so p eed off with the thing. Rims are cheap.
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 21:35   #17
gmonag
Premier Member

I had a similar experience a few years ago. The locking bolts were removed by welding on a nut, as above. I replaced them with regular bolts.