Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wet heating. Change to volvo fluid

Views : 1052

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2020, 18:07   #1
green van man
Premier Member

Default Wet heating. Change to volvo fluid

Well I finally got around to changing the antifreeze in the caravan wet heating system for volvo coolant.
My research tells me that the normal fluid is a 50/50 mix of G12++ or G13 which lasts 5 years

Everything I could find out and was told about volvo coolant indicated that it was equivelant at least and it's longevity was far better.

In order to do the job I bought 8l of volvo antifreeze,
20 l of deionised water,
A 12 submersible pump,
5m of clear 20 mm bore clear plastic pipe
2x 15 to 20 mm end feed copper reducers
A couple of jubilee clips.

Started by draining the header tank and removed it.
Turned the circulating pump by the boiler to max.
Connected the 2 clear plastic pipes the one connected to the 12 pump to the boiler feed, the return to the other pipe that was directed to a catch bucket outside the van.

Turned the circulating pump on permanently via boiler control panel , submerged 120 pump in clean water and switched it on.
Cept it running while topping up the bucket with clean water untill the liquid running out the return pipe was clear of any colour, indicating all old fluid removed. Gave it a Cople more miniuts to be sure.

Turned everything off.

Mixed volvo fluid with de ionised water 50/50 12 l in all.
Submerged 12v pump in volvo coolant and repeat process untill green volvo fluid running out the return pipe.
Turned everything off.

Refitted header tank and filled with volvo fluid mix.
Started the circulating pump and ran it on high setting while watching header tank. This blew a lot of air out of the pipes and vented it to the atmosphere. Stopped pump, topped up header tank, turned circulating pump down to normal speed and turned it on. Opened bleed valve untill coolant flowing out. Checked header tank, Refitted cap, turned heating on and check pipes as they heated.

All told perhaps 2 hours work

Costs,
8 l volvo antifreeze £36 from on line volvo dealer
Deionised water 20 l £13 from eBay
12v pump £18 from eBay
15 to 20 mm reducers £5 from screw fix
Jubilee clips £3 from screw fix. Note, this was the cost of a pack, I only used 2 so have spares to go in the box now.
20 mm bore food grade plastic pipe £5 from eBay
UK
Buckets and mixing jugs I had already

Total cost £63.

Mobile man that services the van wanted £300 and would only use 5 year G13 antifreeze. Which he admitted he bought from euro car parts

My plan is to test the fluid every year and suck a litre out of the header tank every couple of years to be replaced with neat new volvo antifreeze if nessesary.

Hope that helps other cheapskate caravaners like myself to save some money and continue to do so by doing away with the 5 yearly fluid change.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2020, 22:01   #2
37 RUBY
Master Member

I don't call that cheapskate, I call it thrifty.

Top job

Cheers
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 00:05   #3
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Green Van Man................

All we need is to find a campsite near Ffos y Ffin, and persuade you to bring your tools and your newly acquired skills along, and change our Alde heating fluid.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 07:48   #4
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfrog View Post
Green Van Man................

All we need is to find a campsite near Ffos y Ffin, and persuade you to bring your tools and your newly acquired skills along, and change our Alde heating fluid.

Well I am keeping them for a bit but it's volvo fluid so don't see it needing changing for 20 years or so by which time I will be too old to use them so the kit may end up on ebay in a couple of years

Seriously, it is extreamly easy to do yourself.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: