Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake Caliper Mount thread sheared - Urgent

Views : 882

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 19:16   #1
DerekA

Exclamation Brake Caliper Mount thread sheared - Urgent

Hi all,

Front Left/Passenger/Onside Brake Caliper Mount

The mount that the actual brake caliper (with the pads seated in) sits onto has two threaded holes for the hex headed pins to screw into. The thread within the lower hole of the mount has sheared off so the pin cannot tighten, so the caliper is not solidly fitted to the mounting.

Can someone point me to a reputable source of Volvo XC90 (2009) Series 1 parts. It is just the mounting, not the actual caliper.

I could urgently do with one - was meant to be on the eurotunnel tomorrow morning with the family but that isn't going to happen. But if I can find one tomorrow we could travel one day late. I'm located on the south East near Junction 10 of the M25.

Help please!!
DerekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 19:40   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekA View Post
Hi all,

Front Left/Passenger/Onside Brake Caliper Mount

The mount that the actual brake caliper (with the pads seated in) sits onto has two threaded holes for the hex headed pins to screw into. The thread within the lower hole of the mount has sheared off so the pin cannot tighten, so the caliper is not solidly fitted to the mounting.

Can someone point me to a reputable source of Volvo XC90 (2009) Series 1 parts. It is just the mounting, not the actual caliper.

I could urgently do with one - was meant to be on the eurotunnel tomorrow morning with the family but that isn't going to happen. But if I can find one tomorrow we could travel one day late. I'm located on the south East near Junction 10 of the M25.

Help please!!

That is simply the Caliper caliper bracket which in itself is just held in place with two bolts.

Huddersfield Volvo breakers would almost certainly have a used one BUT IF IT WERE ME NOT YOU and you were stuck on a tight schedule I would buy a top quality bolt +nyloc nut of exactly the same diameter but 1/2 to 3/4 0f an inch longer and drill through the ruined threads on the caliper hanger bracket and secure the caliper that way until you were home and could obtain a used undamaged bracket.

That is what I WOULD DO but the choice is yours and I take no responsibility for anything that you do as a result of this thread.

Obviously make sure that the longer bolt does not interfere with anything where it protrudes through.

Your choice, just a suggestion to get you on your holiday.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 20:24   #3
DerekA

I was hoping someone may know of somewhere driveable to get a replacement basket (now I know what it's called!). But looking at your idea, how would one get a nyloc nut on the inside of the caliper basket once the caliper is seated?
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 20:46   #4
V8XCV

Is there enough material to fit a helicoil? I don't know what thread it is, but it might do for a temporary repair.

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 20:47   #5
V8XCV

https://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-na...brand=helicoil

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
The Following User Says Thank You to V8XCV For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 20:47   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
I was hoping someone may know of somewhere driveable to get a replacement basket (now I know what it's called!). But looking at your idea, how would one get a nyloc nut on the inside of the caliper basket once the caliper is seated?
It's a caliper BRACKET or HANGER not a BASKET.

If you start asking for a Caliper Basket you will be met with stunned silence.

Re the bolt idea, forget it, it won't work at all looking at it again.

Last edited by S60D5-185; Aug 3rd, 2020 at 20:50.
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 20:55   #7
V8XCV

http://www.chobhamcarspares.co.uk/

This doesn't look too far from you.

Sometimes called a 'carrier' also.

I presume you have tried phoning Volvo Leatherhead?

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)

Last edited by V8XCV; Aug 3rd, 2020 at 20:57.
The Following User Says Thank You to V8XCV For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 22:02   #8
DerekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
It's a caliper BRACKET or HANGER not a BASKET.

If you start asking for a Caliper Basket you will be met with stunned silence.

Re the bolt idea, forget it, it won't work at all looking at it again.
Thankyou for correcting. I picked up BASKET from somewhere else - not sure where. The bolt idea did have me scratching my head.
The Following User Says Thank You to DerekA For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 22:08   #9
DerekA

@V8XCV yep - I found chobhamspares googling around after I originally posted and have sent them an email. This all happened after 6pm so nowhere was open. I'll chase them first thing and will also put a call into Volvo Leatherhead (££££ no doubt).

Helicoil looks intriguing although must be pricier than a 2nd hand part. Will research anyway as need to line up a backup plan if Chobhamspares & Volvo come up dry. Many thanks for the ideas.
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 07:04   #10
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
@V8XCV yep - I found chobhamspares googling around after I originally posted and have sent them an email. This all happened after 6pm so nowhere was open. I'll chase them first thing and will also put a call into Volvo Leatherhead (££££ no doubt).

Helicoil looks intriguing although must be pricier than a 2nd hand part. Will research anyway as need to line up a backup plan if Chobhamspares & Volvo come up dry. Many thanks for the ideas.

I would actually check with your nearest Volvo dealers because from memory, if you phone early in the morning, the item , if not in stock can often be at the branch the same day but in any case nearly always the morning after.

Helicoiling is fast and usually not exorbitant but a new part from the dealer may well be your best bet if speed is important.

Good luck and hope you get sorted quickly. 👍

The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:

Tags
brake calipers