Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What tyres does everyone run?

Views : 3451

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2020, 12:42   #21
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

I ran on P6` s for years -interesting to say the least.
Then Cintaurato Blue for a while - mildly better.
Now on Bridgestone Turanza - for a mid-range tyre = excellent.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 15:20   #22
Mondorich

My 2013 XC70 came with Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons on it and I have noticed a tendency for the car to want to travel in a straight line

I checked the tyre pressures when I arrived home after buying it and the rears were at 60psi and the fronts over 40. Knocking them down to 35 all round has helped but I will be ditching these tyres at the first opportunity. They also have received terrible reviews from what I've seen.

I don't know if the phenomenon I refer to is tramlining but these tyres look to have very square shoulders which may explain the fact they want to run straight ahead.

Food for thought I'm sure.
Mondorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 15:33   #23
MrJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondorich View Post
My 2013 XC70 came with Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons on it and I have noticed a tendency for the car to want to travel in a straight line

I checked the tyre pressures when I arrived home after buying it and the rears were at 60psi and the fronts over 40. Knocking them down to 35 all round has helped but I will be ditching these tyres at the first opportunity. They also have received terrible reviews from what I've seen.

I don't know if the phenomenon I refer to is tramlining but these tyres look to have very square shoulders which may explain the fact they want to run straight ahead.

Food for thought I'm sure.
My car currently has Pirelli tyres on it, not sure what model but they're pretty awful it sounds like I'm on the edge of grip lapping a racetrack on roundabouts! Get some very dirty looks from the tyre screeching

I have no idea why people buy Pirelli tyres, they just aren't that good maybe it's the association with F1 that causes it?
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 06:43   #24
MG68

How about the Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 as an alternative to the CrossClimates? I've used both tyres, but have put the Goodyears on 3 cars and the Michelins on one.

My wifes BMW 320D F31 Tourer had them fitted 2 years ago and after 32K miles they still have over half tread left. And transform the car in the winter, when most German RWD cars on summer tyres struggle to get off the drive in lying snow / ice.

I had them fitted on my first V70 3 years ago (sold) as we live in the sticks down a country lane with no gritters when the white stuff arrives. Performed brilliantly in those conditions.

Just fitted a set to my present V70 - with a £50 cash back offer from Goodyear they worked out around £85 a corner fitted which I thought was a good deal. (I believe Goodyear have just released a Gen 3 version, so might explain the offer to shift the outgoing version)

Just my experience, and hope that helps you with your research.
MG68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MG68 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 07:14   #25
deepsix

I ran Pirelli Scorpion winter tyres on my 2014 XC60. It transformed the handling and I would use them all year if I wasn't concerned about the tyre wear in hot weather. The standard Pirellis always seemed to want to tramline which you got used to until you refitted the winter wheels and it highlighted this behaviour.
I have a set of winters for the V90cc too; same Pirelli Scorpions but the difference in handling is not as pronounced with the V90. I have no issues with the original Pirellis on the car.

I still have the XC60 winter wheels and tyres, link to for sale post here if anyone needs a good set. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301659

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 09:20   #26
MrJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG68 View Post
How about the Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 as an alternative to the CrossClimates? I've used both tyres, but have put the Goodyears on 3 cars and the Michelins on one.

My wifes BMW 320D F31 Tourer had them fitted 2 years ago and after 32K miles they still have over half tread left. And transform the car in the winter, when most German RWD cars on summer tyres struggle to get off the drive in lying snow / ice.

I had them fitted on my first V70 3 years ago (sold) as we live in the sticks down a country lane with no gritters when the white stuff arrives. Performed brilliantly in those conditions.

Just fitted a set to my present V70 - with a £50 cash back offer from Goodyear they worked out around £85 a corner fitted which I thought was a good deal. (I believe Goodyear have just released a Gen 3 version, so might explain the offer to shift the outgoing version)

Just my experience, and hope that helps you with your research.
The Vector 4 seasons get an E on fuel and wet braking!
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 09:31   #27
MG68

Not quite.

wet B mpg C 69 DB

The double EE rating for these tyres was on the original Gen 1 I believe from memory.
MG68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 10:01   #28
V8XCV

Tyres I have enjoyed in the past:

V70 T5 - Continental Sport Contact 3 (now would be the Continental Premium Contact 6 in that size)

V70 D5 P2 - Goodyear Eagle F1 AS 3 (now replaced by AS 5)

XC90 - 19" Continental Sport Contact 5 SUV (no longer available) summer, 19" Dunlop Winter Sport 5 for winter.

Also have run Nokian Weatherproof in Scottish winter but disappointed by cracking and poor wet grip once worn a bit.

Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 - have run this in all conditions, good tyre, but below 5mm not much use on snow (same as any winter tyre). I run these on my VW 4motion all year round and will probably upgrade to the Gen 3 version this winter, and always replace the full set in the autumn for best winter performance.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - Nice all round summer tyre, excellent wet grip and good comfort for a sport tyre, run this on another car we have.

For the current V70 D5, it will be Goodyear Eagle F1 AS 5 for Summer (18" Wheels) and Goodyear Ultragrip Performance Plus for Winter (17" wheels) once I get it back from the garage from it's overhaul.

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 10:03   #29
V8XCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerovering View Post
Hi Folks,

New to owning a Volvo, bought the car with Michelin Cross Climates on which look to be in good nick - great I thought, they are smooth and quiet and certainly hold the road well in the dry. In the wet though, not nearly so grippy in the corners and I'm no Shumacher but like to push on sometimes as well.

My old car had Mich Primacy 4s on the front and it would really need to be provoked into losing grip, its a smaller lighter less poweful car but the Volvo feels a little bit like having to tiptoe around in the wet.

The inlaws V70 had a nightmare of mismatched ditch finders, I got a deal on Toyo Proxes CF2 which transformed it.

I'll keep the Cross Climates til they are done (hopefully good for the snow) but I must say I am disappointed in the wet performance. What does everyone else run?

Thanks!
Forgot to add, couple of family members have had cross climates and not impressed with winter performance on snowy icy stuff in the Scottish winter, so I have always stuck to more winter biased all season (Goodyear 4season).

All seasons are a compromise and generally more winter biased.

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 12:35   #30
CricketyJimin

Trying Rainsport 5's on the V70 as the Rainsport 3's on our S60 have performed well despite being almost done after about 16k on the front.

Although, I've already had to change one due to pot hole damage
CricketyJimin is offline   Reply With Quote