Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT boot lock

Views : 850

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2020, 16:00   #1
johnwilky

Default MOT boot lock

Is it a requirement of an MOT ( uk) to open and close Boot ? I.e could one disable the boot lock and have it permanently closed , fixed locked ?
Boot mechanism has failed and too much mither/ costl6 to change.
johnwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 16:08   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

All doors have to open and close as intended so the answer is yes.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 16:17   #3
johnwilky

Cheers , I will give it another coat of looking at
johnwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 18:20   #4
Austin160
Master Member

OK, so the question now becomes:-
Does a boot lid constitute a door?
My stab at that would be - No.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 18:31   #5
dingov70
Master Member

Red face

Austin 160 , hate to be the bearer of bad news .... BUT .......Legislation permits testers to refuse to test vehicles in certain circumstances. If any of the reasons for refusal (see below) apply, you should not carry out the test and must return any fee paid for the test. You should carry out appropriate pre-checks before starting the test, to ensure the suitability and general condition of the vehicle.

If the vehicle presenter needs written confirmation of why the test cannot be carried out, you should register the test using the MOT testing service and issue a VT30 clearly showing the reason(s) why the test could not be carried out.

If reason to refuse ‘i’ applies, you should issue a handwritten CT30 containing as many of the vehicle details as possible. A copy of the CT30 should be retained by the VTS.

The reasons for refusing to carry out the test are:

a. The V5C or other evidence of the date of first use is not produced. Normally this evidence is only necessary if the vehicle has a ‘cherished’ registration mark (also referred to as personalised registration number) or if the registration mark’s year letter does not make it clear which standard should be applied.
b. The vehicle or any part or equipment on the vehicle is so dirty that examination is unreasonably difficult.
c. The vehicle is not fit to be driven when necessary to complete the test because of a lack of fuel, or oil, or for any other reason.
d. The tester considers a load or other items, or insecurity of a load or other items, would prevent a proper test being carried out - unless the load is secured or removed.
e. The VTS asks for the fee to be paid in advance and this is not done.
f. The vehicle emits substantial quantities of avoidable smoke.
g. A proper examination cannot be carried out because any door, tailgate, boot, engine cover, fuel cap or other device designed to be easily opened cannot be easily opened.
h. The condition of the vehicle is such that, in the opinion of the tester, a proper examination would involve a danger of injury to any person or damage to the vehicle or other property.
i. The vehicle has neither a registration mark nor VIN/chassis number or frame number by which it can be identified, or that all such identifications are illegible or use letters and numbers not normally used in the English language.

Cut a bit off the bottom but you can read the whole manual if you wish
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...s/introduction

And I am a current nominated tester

Last edited by dingov70; Aug 10th, 2020 at 18:33.
dingov70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dingov70 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 01:00   #6
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilky View Post
Cheers , I will give it another coat of looking at
Can I ask , do you have other symptoms such as a slow rear wiper?
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 08:35   #7
Welton
Premier Member

My MOT tester is a real stickler but he let my 'normally locked from outside the car' rear door go through as it will open from the inside.

He said its not ideal and he could be strict about it but given the rest of the car is A1 he considered it petty and had a 'quiet word' with me about it instead.

In his words; the door lock could fail on the way home from a perfect MOT test so that wouldn't put him or me at fault but you should at least be intent on repairing it going forward.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 18:40   #8
dingov70
Master Member

[QUOTE=Welton;2655000]My MOT tester is a real stickler but he let my 'normally locked from outside the car' rear door go through as it will open from the inside.

I am appalled , it should open because ( Heaven & your chosen deity prevent this ) should you be involved in an accident some one needs to be able to access the interior using the handles fitted . If DVSA ever get wind of this your tester will find themself on the wrong end of disciplinary action , which is way more than a smacked wrist
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 09:26   #9
Welton
Premier Member

Sorry I should explain; the door does open normally if I don't have the self-locking door mode enabled.

The volvo door lock modules can fail but seem to fail in different ways, one of mine locks but only opens from the inside but once unlocked opens normally from inside and out - this is what we were discussing at the time.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 20:41   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Whilst there is some discretion for the tester to refuse to test the car if he can't access all areas due to the boot not opening (note - refuse to test rather than fail) - a non opening boot is a statutory fail on 7-seat cars where the rear passengers board/alight through it - e.g. P2 V70's
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote