Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auxiliary Belt Tensioners

Views : 577

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2018, 23:23   #1
Jinxie

Question Auxiliary Belt Tensioners

Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing all 3 of the belts on my V70 D5. The new auxiliary belt kit poses a bit of a problem, though. Comparing the old and new belts showed them to be of the same dimensions, but the new tensioner was not the same as the old one. There are some key differences as the photos I'm attempting to upload will show. The new one has exactly the same locating peg and hole and will fit perfectly well in place where the old one was, but the new tensioner has a smaller diameter wheel which is closer in to its mounting. The torqx tension relief indent is also larger: T60 as against the old one's T45. Finally (and most significantly?) the old one shows arrows in the direction of rotation which is clockwise; the new ones are are stamped with arrows showing counter-clockwise although this isn't clear from the photos I can assure you that's how they're marked.
So the question is, should I go ahead and fit the new one - or not?
Thanks.

Hopefully the two sets of pictures showing new and old tensioners can be seen here:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/vbpic...do=view&g=5932

Last edited by Jinxie; Feb 9th, 2018 at 23:36.
Jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 09:47   #2
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Yes the new one is the updated version that doesn’t fail as often. I fitted the updated version to our v70 not to long ago. I was surprised a dealer hadn’t changed it as they were recalled apparently. Change the tensioner again in 54k miles along with the aux belt.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 14:17   #3
Scooser

I seem to remember that when Volvo fitted a new mechanical tensioner (replacing the hydraulic tensioner) to my 58 plate V70 D5 under a safety recall in 2010, the new tensioner required a new fitting location to be drilled in the block.

I don’t know if this had anything to do with it (i.e. you still have the fitting holes only for the old tensioner), but someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly I’m sure.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 14:28   #4
Jinxie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooser View Post
I seem to remember that when Volvo fitted a new mechanical tensioner (replacing the hydraulic tensioner) to my 58 plate V70 D5 under a safety recall in 2010, the new tensioner required a new fitting location to be drilled in the block.

I don’t know if this had anything to do with it (i.e. you still have the fitting holes only for the old tensioner), but someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly I’m sure.
The block on my particular D5 (which is T4 or later, apparently) has an elongated slot milled in it to accept the locating peg on the tensioner which enables it to take a range of spacing differences between the peg and the bolt-hole. But in any case, the peg and hole have identical size and spacing on the new tensioner as they do on the old one so there's no issue in that respect at least.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 14:31   #5
Jinxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
Yes the new one is the updated version that doesn’t fail as often. I fitted the updated version to our v70 not to long ago. I was surprised a dealer hadn’t changed it as they were recalled apparently. Change the tensioner again in 54k miles along with the aux belt.
Good to hear that, thanks. I can certainly see why they went from T40 to T60 on that casting because the T40 is too easily chewed-up in the process of relieving the tension. If you don't get it right within a couple of attempts, you're screwed! The aux belt tensioner spring is *much* stronger than the cam belt one.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 14:40   #6
Jinxie

There is still the issue of the direction of rotation arrows, however. They are not the same, which would seem to imply that whilst the old tensioner wheel has the belt running inside the loop, the new one would have the belt running over the outside. :-/
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 19:13   #7
big square car

Sounds to me that the 2012 recall hasn't been done. I changed mine last year and the new one was the same as the old one fitted on the recall in 2012. Check with your main dealer and you might get the update done free.
big square car is offline   Reply With Quote