Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Boot lid open warning

Views : 9002

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2015, 14:56   #1
turbo1397

Question Boot lid open warning

hi folks. Constantly getting the above message even when the boot lid is firmly closed. I thought it would be a boot switch of such but cant seem to locate one.. any one any ideas?
turbo1397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2015, 15:43   #2
turbo1397

Question

anyone?
Old Jul 15th, 2015, 20:06   #3
Snoodini

You didn't say if it's a V50 or an S40 but as it's a common problem on the S40 i'm going to assume it's an S40.

It's 99.9% chance that the wiring loom for the boot lid is breaking. You can either locate the break (inside the rubber conduit where the boot opens) and fix it or as most people do, just replace it. It's a pretty simple task to do and the part isn't so expensive.

I wrote a guide for replacement here: Click here

The reason you couldn't find the boot switch is that is is integrated inside the lock catch mechanism, so the signal for detecting an open boot goes through this break-prone wiring loom.
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 18:33   #4
volvo for ever
Premier Member

broken wire in loom on nsr of boot bet its a s40 very common either repair or renew loom to cure
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2015, 15:28   #5
turbo1397

Sorry folks. Yip, its an S40.. Thanks for info.. i'll check the loom..
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 18:32   #6
volvo for ever
Premier Member

its on nsr remove 2 torx screws then cover then pull out grommet
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 11:04   #7
JC Sport

Hi

I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone could help!

I read with interest the previous excellent article about the boot lock problems and wonder if the same remedy would apply to my own problem.

Basically I am getting the message the the "boot lid is open" even when it's firmly shut.
I CAN actually then open the boot the normal way by pressing the button above the number plate.
The problem is then closing the boot which is possible.....eventually by closing the lid and pressing the button at the same time.
I've had the boot lock off and applied WD40 with no change to anything.
So, would you say it is a wiring loom problem? OR could it be the module on the boot lock, or even the boot release switch?!

Any help would be appreciated

Kind Regards

Jim
JC Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 12:31   #8
Snoodini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Sport View Post
Hi

I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone could help!

I read with interest the previous excellent article about the boot lock problems and wonder if the same remedy would apply to my own problem.

Basically I am getting the message the the "boot lid is open" even when it's firmly shut.
I CAN actually then open the boot the normal way by pressing the button above the number plate.
The problem is then closing the boot which is possible.....eventually by closing the lid and pressing the button at the same time.
I've had the boot lock off and applied WD40 with no change to anything.
So, would you say it is a wiring loom problem? OR could it be the module on the boot lock, or even the boot release switch?!

Any help would be appreciated

Kind Regards

Jim
Based on your description it sounds more likely to be the lock mechanism itself. The wiring should not effect the ability of the lock to close at all, it should latch closed even if its unplugged.

I had a problem with mine exactly like you describe although there was no way I could get it to latch at all.

Test the latch with the boot open and use a screwdriver shaft (or similar) to operate the lock in the same way the lock loop in the body does. you should be able to close the lock in two steps, the second step is the fully locked position. if it does not hold then the lock is probably at fault. if it does hold, try to pull it open again... it should hold strong and only release when you press the boot open switch.

if the lock fails to hold, disconnect the wiring loom and try again (you can do it quickly by disconnecting the entire loom at the end under the parcel shelf). if it still does not hold then it's definitely the lock at fault. if it does now hold and it didn't before then it would indicate a fault in the wiring or the switch.

you can test the switch with a multimeter to isolate the problem. if the switch is functional then it will almost certainly be the wiring.

chances are it's the wiring though as you describe that you are getting the boot open message. it's rather unlikely that the latch would fail to hold AND the position sensor switch in the lock fails (these are two different elements of the lock unit)
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoodini For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 16:34   #9
volvo for ever
Premier Member

sorry i disagree itl be wiring only s40's have wiring issues v50 usually latch and when latch goes down then you cant open it.

easilly checked remove wiring on nsr one or 2 wires will be broken repair or renew

regards
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 08:13   #10
Snoodini

My apologies regarding my previous post, I most certainly contradicted myself in my opinion on my first and last paragraphs.

I wrote the first paragraph before I had fully comprehended your problem (didnt read properly) then forgot to review what I had written. Just to confirm, Its most likely the wiring.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snoodini For This Useful Post: