Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Random Knocking Noise

Views : 3471

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2016, 21:30   #11
rkeegan

Just a quick note to follow up on this topic. Spent the weekend going through all the suggested options and found the bottom cross brace that runs under the engine between the lower suspension mounts was fouling on the longitudinal beam that the lower engine mounts sit on. Hence when the engine rocked it moved the longit slightly which was enough to knock on the cross brace. Straightened the brace and hey presto no knock. I also found my anti-roll bar bushes are knackered (Thanks Gary) but hey hoo that's another job for the list!!
rkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rkeegan For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2016, 15:36   #12
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary168 View Post
I had a similar knocking noise to what you described. Turned out to be the front anti roll bar bushes. Pig of a job to change but with the help of some info on the forum managed to change them and the drop links. Cured the problem. Fitted the poly ones rather than the rubber ones.
ditto. For what it's worth the knocking I had related to ABS bushes could be directly felt by my feet (i.e. it sounded and felt like it was coming from down low in the front). It only happened immediately when taking off from a full stop or randomly when rolling very slowly. Sometimes it was a single clunk, sometimes two or three clunks. When I took the bushes out, it was difficult to tell that they were finished. In fact I had been holding off on replacing them because when I did the half-ass inspection from looking in through the wheel wells they looked pretty good. Rubber was a bit cracked though. But certainly not destroyed like some of the pics I've seen.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2016, 15:37   #13
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeegan View Post
Just a quick note to follow up on this topic. Spent the weekend going through all the suggested options and found the bottom cross brace that runs under the engine between the lower suspension mounts was fouling on the longitudinal beam that the lower engine mounts sit on. Hence when the engine rocked it moved the longit slightly which was enough to knock on the cross brace. Straightened the brace and hey presto no knock. I also found my anti-roll bar bushes are knackered (Thanks Gary) but hey hoo that's another job for the list!!
Nice work! Are you sure the two trans mounts are good?

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2016, 20:46   #14
rkeegan

I've ordered all new bushing as while I've eliminated the knock, the engine mounts could all do with replacing. I'm hoping to replace them over the winter though I may concede on the anti-roll bar bushes having read peoples experiences of changing them. Don't get me wrong being an Engineer I love pulling things apart and rebuilding them but I do know when sometimes it's better to hand the task to someone who has the right facilities. I still lack the four poster (car lift not bed), engine hoist and forgiving wife.
Doing a bit of research I have also found out the cross brace is not on all V40s/S40s. Anybody know if this was a feature only on the sport models or did it come in later on P2 vehicles? (Runs between the rear mounts of the lower wishbones)
rkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rkeegan For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2016, 21:42   #15
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
I've ordered all new bushing as while I've eliminated the knock, the engine mounts could all do with replacing. I'm hoping to replace them over the winter though I may concede on the anti-roll bar bushes having read peoples experiences of changing them. Don't get me wrong being an Engineer I love pulling things apart and rebuilding them but I do know when sometimes it's better to hand the task to someone who has the right facilities. I still lack the four poster (car lift not bed), engine hoist and forgiving wife.
Doing a bit of research I have also found out the cross brace is not on all V40s/S40s. Anybody know if this was a feature only on the sport models or did it come in later on P2 vehicles? (Runs between the rear mounts of the lower wishbones)
Not fitted to Ph1 cars, but introduced on Ph2. The Ph2 suspension is completely different with few interchangeable parts, although at first glance the two phases look the same.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 11:49   #16
berg07

Default Similar noise (see videos)?

Quote:
I also have a random noise from the front end. Did your noise sound anything like mine in the videos below?

A mechanic straightened out the cross brace that hit the central beam but the noise came back after a couple of days.

Any ideas about what might be causing this noise?

Video of noise when stepping of gas pedal

The sound changes character when I press the clutch pedal. It becomes more muffled.

Video of noise when engaging the clutch

The noise is present at all speeds. Here is an example while driving slowly in first gear.

Video of noise at slow speed
berg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 20:09   #17
Cold Fusion

this is going to sound a bit weird... but have you checked the alternator? I had a similar noise for a while, despite my investigations, had to change the alternator because it died and the noise disappeared..
Cold Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 22:16   #18
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Sounds a bit like driveshaft to me. More specifically CV joint. Are the boots intact and not leaking any grease?

Also check the driveshaft support bearing.

I would that think that very shortly the relevant component will reveal itself by a dramatic failure!
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 09:08   #19
berg07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Fusion View Post
this is going to sound a bit weird... but have you checked the alternator? I had a similar noise for a while, despite my investigations, had to change the alternator because it died and the noise disappeared..
I have not noticed any noise from the alternator. If it the alternator was making the noise then the noise should probably be present at idle too, but it is not.
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 09:13   #20
berg07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
Sounds a bit like driveshaft to me. More specifically CV joint. Are the boots intact and not leaking any grease?

Also check the driveshaft support bearing.

I would that think that very shortly the relevant component will reveal itself by a dramatic failure!
The outer CV joints seem alright. The boot rubber is dry and I haven't seen any cracks or grease leaks. I'll have a look at the inner joints and the driveshaft support bearing after work.