Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Brake Failure stop safely message

Views : 18409

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2017, 23:01   #1
Mikerp

Default V50 Brake Failure stop safely message

Hi

Has anyone else had the "Brake failure stop safely" message? - popped up on my V50 after it also showed Anti-Skid service required- then lost all power - luckily coasted into a lay-by!. waited a few minutes and it started okay!.
Breakdown came and plugged computer in and showed no message codes??
thanks
Miker
Mikerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 10:54   #2
Spikke

I had this happen to me. After looking through previous threads, I found out the CEM unit was at fault. The solution that worked for me was to remove the unit out of the car and use electrical contact cleaner on the CEM unit as well as the connections in the car.
That was 6 months ago, still going fine.
Spikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 12:33   #3
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerp View Post
Hi

Has anyone else had the "Brake failure stop safely" message? - popped up on my V50 after it also showed Anti-Skid service required- then lost all power - luckily coasted into a lay-by!. waited a few minutes and it started okay!.
Breakdown came and plugged computer in and showed no message codes??
thanks
Miker
Generic readers may not pick up codes from BCM, atleast mine doesnt. Some codes only appear when I connect VIDA+DiCE. Not saying thats in your case, but you could double check if you know someone with Vida.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 23:23   #4
The Thong
VOC Member

Brake failure message could be your BCM failing, get it hitched up to Vida.

TT
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 17:08   #5
Vantlick

Hi
I’m having the exact same problem with my 2005 V50, have you sorted out the problem . Also what is the CEM or BCM.
Vantlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 21:20   #6
The Thong
VOC Member

BCM, Brake control module aka ABS unit, CEM aka Central Electronic Module is the brain under the glovebox. The CEM can get water in then if the sunroof leaks in or the bottom of it gets kicked loose by the passenger. If you can, get the car hooked up to VIDA diagnostics for a solution.

TT
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 23:08   #7
deepsix

It happened to me. Pulled over to investigate. Stopped car and wouldn't start again. Lots of dashboard lights and wipers coming on. Seemed terminal.
I couldn't see anything obvious and started looking for breakdown number.
Tried starting again and it ran with no problem. It never happened again in the following 2-3 years that I owned it.?
A random electrical fault.

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 23:58   #8
Paul92

Default V50 d5

Hi all . My car did the same 15 months ago. Never did it again un till yesterday and today . Won't start again now . Any joy on what the problem is b4 I chuck a load of money at it
Paul92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 11:37   #9
GingerDiesel

Hello,

My 1.6D C30 has been regularly showing the Anti-skid warning, and then started doing that scary Brake Failure Stop Immediately thing.

In my case this was due to blanking the EGR - there are so many parts of engine function that work hand-in-hand with the BCM to allow for functions like traction control to work, so the Anti Skid warning comes up for a range of engine faults too.

In VIDA, it explains that you should not replace the BCM:

"Note! The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) applies only to cars with stability and traction control (STC) / dynamic stability and traction control (DSTC).
The engine control module (ECM) transmits a signal via the Control area network (CAN) which indicates whether the engine speed signal to the brake control module (BCM) is correct or not. The brake control module (BCM) uses the engine speed (RPM) signal during control of the stability function.
Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) BCM-0101 is stored if the brake control module (BCM) registers that the engine control module (ECM) has transmitted a signal indicating that the engine speed (RPM) signal is implausible.

The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) can be diagnosed after the engine has been started.

Substitute value
Traction control is blocked
Stability control is blocked
Active yaw control is blocked.

Hint:
For information about abbreviations, see Brake system, abbreviations .
Possible source
Fault in the engine management system.
Note! This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is not due to an internal hardware fault in the Brake control module (BCM) and must not be remedied by replacing the control module. "

As it says in the above readout, this is often caused by communication errors - the CEM fuses as others have stated above would be a good place to start.

There will probably be a huge list of fault codes stored in every module after that Brake Failure thing...

Another common thing to check, after fuses, is the Steering Wheel Position Sensor - know to go bad on these Volvos and Ford Focuses.

Good luck!

PS. deleting the EGR from my ECU seems to have cured my Anti-Skid... I hope!
GingerDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 21:29   #10
vhgudjohnsen

Default Never ending story

This is the never ending story. After having this problem occur every random amount of weeks, and after spending days on reading about it.

Results

1) This is the never ending story. All threads end in a question. I have read them all. This is the first time I post since this is moderately new thread.
2) Don't talk to the shop, especially the dealership. Even though hundreds of people have asked about this on online forums the dealership seems to know nothing about the problem. And I mean nothing. You might as well speak to a rock and get more from it.
3) What helps reducing problem: Disconnecting battery for one hour sometimes helps. Use contact spray to clean CEM located passenger side. Use this video if you don't know how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_M0KW3wFpI

If someone has a final fix for this problem he deserves a medal.

I have a Volvo V50 2005 station. And yes, this just happened to me today (02.08.2018), again, for the tenth time. Today was the first time I cleaned the CEM with contact spray though. But I know this will happen again. Winter is coming.

Last edited by vhgudjohnsen; Aug 2nd, 2018 at 21:31.
vhgudjohnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vhgudjohnsen For This Useful Post: