Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Articles

Notices

700/900 Series Articles How to's and Guides for the P700/900 series.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to change the 960/90 door release spring

Views : 8101

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2010, 22:00   #1
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Question How to change the 960/90 door release spring

Hi,

Floppy internal door releases have been discussed a little recently, along with the ease of removal of the 960/90 door card!!

Having recently acquired a floppy door release myself I thought it apt to do a how to.
After all, how difficult could it be??!! Well, difficult enough, especially if you have had someone else try their hand at gaining access and bodging the job up afterwards!!

Anyway, here goes.

First, remove the 3 (yes 3) clips from the bottom of the door card. The third is most awkward as it is recessed but use a slim screw driver to lightly lever the spring catch from its holding point.

Second, prise away carefully the cover in the hand grip that hides the 2 screws. Be very careful here as the cover is liable to crack, particularly if the previous visitor glued them back on!!! Remove the screws with 25 Torx head screw driver.

Third, ease out the red lamp unit in the rear edge of the door card and unplug it.

Forth, ease the door lock and door release trim surround away from its clips and remove. Again, care so as to not crack the plastic.
Here, if your door handle spring is only out of position, you can ease the spring back into position. If the spring is broken, you need to remove the handle and lock handles.

Fifth, from the bottom of the door card, pull the card gently away from the door. There are 2 clips half way up/down (one on each side) of the card that keep it in place. These can be a PITA to pull as the previous visitor found out - he broke one! With the door card now free(-ish) lift up gently to release the spring clips on the top edge of the door and then pull away.

You should now find your hands full of door card still attached to the door by the lock power cable and the window/mirror cables. You can un-clip the cables if you so wish.

Now to the door release.

The lock release and door opener/release share the same steel pin to hold them in position. This pin is gnarled at the top (lock release side) to hold it in position and there is a rest/hinge point at the bottom under the door release (see the photos). This was near impossible to release so great care was employed in easing the whole 2 releases and the lower hinge point to release the door opener. With this removed I think that then would be a good time to ease out that pin from the point at the top of the unlock release. That would save you from the embarrassment I was to suffer later.!!

With that door release now off you can easily remove the remnants of your old spring and fit the new one (see photo. Spring:- 55p. Volvo Bag:- £3.00 !!).
You will notice under the foam on the back edge of the opening there is a small pair of studs which keep the spring in position.
Refit the door release to the pin and make sure the spring sits between the 2 studs. Also make sure at this point that the lock release is positioned correctly to lock and unlock the doors.
YOu can then ease the whole back so that the bottom end of the pin goes back into the hole for it on the bottom hinge part.
Or not, as in my case, as what can happen is that the upper retainer breaks!!! A combination of old plastic and cold plastic. Hence my suggestion to attempt a removal of the pin when the door release is off.
That hinge/retainer is part of the whole back plate and is pop-riveted to the door. So if anyone has a 960/90 breaking and who can remove that part, I'd be grateful!!

Once the 2 releases are back in place, test door opening and lock/unlock to be sure the assembled parts are correctly fitted.

Now you can reconnect your cables and refit the door card. Start with the clip above the top edge of the door, and maintain the outward angle (bottom edge held away from the door about 3")and press the top back into place.
Make sure the 2 middle clips are positioned correctly and apply sharp pressure (a quick thump) to reseat them.
Make sure the bottom edge of the card is correctly positioned.
Refit the red lamp unit and pop the screws back in the door pull position.
Refit the 3 bottom clips, making sure they have been clipped into position correctly.
Refit that screw cover plate.

Stand back and admire that now non-floppy door release!

Des. . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_01.jpg (195.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_02.jpg (215.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_03.jpg (215.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_04.jpg (218.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_05.jpg (207.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_06.jpg (215.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_07.jpg (210.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_08.jpg (222.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_09.jpg (222.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_10a.jpg (202.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_11.jpg (212.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_12.jpg (215.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_13.jpg (222.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_14.jpg (216.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_15.jpg (202.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_16.jpg (227.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_20.jpg (233.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg V90_Door_Lock_21.jpg (213.4 KB, 59 views)
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."

Last edited by CTCNetwork; May 1st, 2013 at 21:10. Reason: Re attached images. May be more than originally
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post: