Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water drips from interior light?

Views : 28552

Replies : 157

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2018, 05:19   #121
jimmyocharlie

I have replied on another thread about this problem, but I'm reposting here, as it might help someone else!

"Backpedal" posted in the V70 water ingress thread about ringing Volvo and getting it all sorted by them, free.

My problem was that water had leaked in and fried the aircon/heated and vented seats/blower etc!
I rang Volvo, they said as long as it is the original "factory fit" windscreen, then they would pay for that to be fixed and any "consequential" damage.

I then got an email from them confirming this, went to the local Volvo dealer and they simply checked it was the original screen and that it was loose, (you could push it away fairly easily). The dealer agreed and booked it in to be fixed.

They had the car for two weeks and lent me a new V90 while they fixed my car. Turns out it was a very expensive job!! The car needed new a ECM.

The car is a 2009, (2008 build) V70 with 105,000 miles on it. Not been to Volvo since I bought it 4 years ago.

Just hope that someone reads this and gets their car sorted!!!
jimmyocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2018, 10:26   #122
Tatsfield
Premier Member

If I remember rightly, windscreen arrive at the assembly plant pre treated with a primer and the sealant is applied, usually by a robotic arm these days, on the screen flange and another robotic arm puts the screen in place. If the wind screen supplier has not correctly pre-applied the primer to the delivered screens and Volvo didn't carry out full QC checks, the screens would have got fitted with an imperfect seal at the points where the primer was missing.

I would have expected Volvo to have sought and obtained some legal compensation provision from their windscreen supplier who would have not wanted this event to have become common knowledge as they almost certainly supply a lot of screens to many other car manufacturers. Poorly bonded windscreens are a serious safety issue as the screens on modern cars fulfil a structural role in reinforcing the rigidity of the body where the huge screen gaps would otherwise allow flexing of the structure and unforeseen collapse and lethal windscreen entry into the interior of the car under crash impact. So perhaps Volvo can be generous in their settlements because in the end they are not the ones having to foot the bill. It certainly shouldn't be the owners of the cars who have to pay for a manufacturing failure.
Old May 29th, 2018, 10:42   #123
apersson850
Premier Member

I got my windscreen replaced, free of charge, in the autumn of 2016. The car was delivered in mid-2011 (it's one of the first MY 2012) and was at that time driven around 170000 km.
Then I got the heating in front of the camera repaired for free, as it turned out to be non-functional on the new screen. That helped during that winter season, but when the next autumn came (2017), it was the same problem again.
This time they replaced the whole windscreen once again, to get a working demist in front of the camera. Again for free.

I've been told that the original reason for the bad bonding was a faulty primer, not a missing primer. But it's rumours, so it could be something else.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 00:04   #124
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Faulty primer makes sense as Volvo'd check for existance of primer and OK the screens for fitting as they wouldn't have known that the primer was faulty, only that it was there. Someone must have lost their job at the windscreen suppliers on that one!
Old May 30th, 2018, 00:20   #125
wilbydoughboy

I suffered from a badly bonded windscreen and I also thought it would be a safety issue but when I contacted Volvo UK I was told there was no recall and to contact my local dealer who said they could not help, so I still have the duct tape across the top of the screen keeping the water at bay.
Old May 30th, 2018, 10:40   #126
MRvolvoc30d2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbydoughboy View Post
I suffered from a badly bonded windscreen and I also thought it would be a safety issue but when I contacted Volvo UK I was told there was no recall and to contact my local dealer who said they could not help, so I still have the duct tape across the top of the screen keeping the water at bay.
i have a leaking screen at the top just to the left of the roof console. i have spoken to Volvo customer services today Ive been advised to goto my local dealer which he kindly gave me the number for. im told they would confirm the cause which volvo stated was to do with a problem with the bonding when it was installed and if that was the proved to be the case and it was an original volvo screen the repair would be FOC.
I wonder if this inconsistency of responses is due to there being a cutoff point where the problem has been resolved?
MRvolvoc30d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 21:21   #127
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

No such luck here in Canada. I was stuck with total bill back in 2014. Maybe things have changed since then.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 19:45   #128
Bedders

I'm really interested in this as my 2008 V70 has intermittent water ingress into the bulkhead.
Contacted Volvo who insisted I'll need to take to a dealer
Q: but how do they determine if the car is factory original or dealer replaced?

They one I have, has a Volvo mark on the drivers side (right hand drive).

Thanks
Bedders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 15:10   #129
SamF

Just had mine replaced and all they asked was if I had something similar to this in the bottom right corner of the screen:

Hope that helps?

When I get my car back I will take a photo for you.

Last edited by SamF; Feb 20th, 2019 at 15:14.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SamF For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 08:51   #130
apersson850
Premier Member

It's different at different times and at different dealers.
They have to get the information Volvo centrally requires to cover the cost. And the demands from Volvo change over time, depending on how many frauds they are exposed to.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post: