Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 160725

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2016, 19:35   #101
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
.....but the X4?
I am interested in knowing if the X4 has clear water between it and Kim.
Arianne
It can only be Beyoncé then.

Upfront and in your face.
Not afraid to flaunt it.
Has a strong engine, but like fashion is a thing of the moment will not not last the time.
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 19:44   #102
K5 Gus

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/03/05/bm...hoice-for-you/

From many, if not all, angles, thne the X4 is remarkably similar to the X6.

If you're choice is based on looks alone then if you don't like the X6 then can't imagine you would like the X4.

If you like the like the look of both, then the different size and specs will decide which you go for.

For me personally, both are a big no in the looks department ! They look as ludicrous as the Volvo S60 CC. Why wouldn't you go for the extra practicality of the X3/X5 ( ie V60 CC or XC60 ) ?
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 22:12   #103
Arianne
Premier Member

....we won the 5-aside

Okay, so far so not so good. Anyone else?

Form an orderly queue!

Arianne
Old Feb 13th, 2016, 07:43   #104
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Honest John rates it fairly well....http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bmw/x4-f26-2014/, although remind us it is the coupe version of x3, with £2k more kit for £3.6k more price.
I think you were "only" put off the x3 because the new model will be out with an untested engine? Would the same apply here or are you happy with the "old model" engine ?
If that were the only reason, why not get a corking deal on the outgoing x3 model!

FWIW, before we got Stormy, we tested the x3, & whilst I loved the engine and auto, I found the seating not to my liking and felt rather "crammed in" - the subsequent xc60 test was much more comfortable. I prefer the interior of the Volvo.....but those things are always in the eye of the beholder etc...

I know what you mean (earlier) about buying different models on changeover....prior to morphing into Saab-man for 12 years I was the same, with many a "hot hatch" (fave being the Mitsubishi Colt turbo!)....& your turtle experience would perhaps drive me away from Volvo, but having not suffered that, I have to say 18 months & ~27k miles in that I still love it!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 11:12   #105
andymcp
Premier Member

Sorry, but on looks alone the X4 should be quietly taken round the back of the BMW offices and put to sleep, followed shortly by its designer. I'm well aware that beauty is subjective, but so is ugliness and that car smacked every one of my subjective ugly sticks as it fell from the tree. I feel sorry for Beyoncé and Kim being compared to the automotive turd that is the X4 & 6. To me they both scream that I ran out of ideas for a nice car so I went for the only one I could find that would offend everyone. A bit like a Nissan Juke. I'd willingly suffer a turtle every day for the rest of my driving life if it meant I never had to step in or out of an X4....

There, you asked for opinion. Enjoy the sunny day!

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 11:46   #106
Crockers
Premier Member

And what did Mercedes do??? Copy BMW....ahhhhhh!!!

Please Volvo don't go down that route....make the new XC60 inspiring.
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 13:51   #107
Arianne
Premier Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post
Sorry, but on looks alone the X4 should be quietly taken round the back of the BMW offices and put to sleep, followed shortly by its designer. I'm well aware that beauty is subjective, but so is ugliness and that car smacked every one of my subjective ugly sticks as it fell from the tree. I feel sorry for Beyoncé and Kim being compared to the automotive turd that is the X4 & 6. To me they both scream that I ran out of ideas for a nice car so I went for the only one I could find that would offend everyone. A bit like a Nissan Juke. I'd willingly suffer a turtle every day for the rest of my driving life if it meant I never had to step in or out of an X4...
In a nutshell then...... sounds like you're warming to the design concept of the X4?

Speaking of warming, here's an option from the loooooong option list that looks appealing on this snowy February weekend in Scotland...

I was grateful for our heated seats, front & rear, this morning. Perishing out there with a covering of snow.

Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Feb 14th, 2016 at 13:58.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 16:05   #108
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:

There's no doubt that the XC60 offers a great blend of good quality, semi premium finish with amazing value right now.
......apart from the fact that the XC60 has recently (in effect) had a price hike of £2000.

The £750 extra that cash buyers had to pay over people buying on finance is now £2750, so in effect cash buyers are now paying £2750 more rather than £750...ouch..!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 10:24   #109
andymcp
Premier Member

Quote:
In a nutshell then...... sounds like you're warming to the design concept of the X4?
Ha! Erm....no, not really.

I'm not really someone won over by design for design's sake. And that appears to be what the X4 and 6 are (subjectivity clause applying, as ever).

On the pre-heat front, that remote start function is a very sad miss - my one regret is not ticking it in the options list when I ordered, before the UK was added to the list of excluded countries. Very frustrating when it's just a software tweak (and a new fob if you don't have the right one) rather than installing a whole additional heater to carry around for those few chilly mornings....

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 11:38   #110
Fat Magpie

On the issue of leaving the engine running back in the day a diesel mechanic / driver in our company told me the worst thing you could ever do was to run a diesel engine with no load.

My understand is that an engine produces moisture and other nasties (acidic compounds) during combustion, When you drive under load the engine temp quickly goes up evaporating the water and burning off the nasties but under idle I am told typical engine temp is 80 degrees C.
Not warm enough to burn the undesirables off.

Problems arise with cylinder wall glazing, the nasties damage the wall resulting in excessive oil consumption burning oil as the sump oil leaks through the piston ring seal.

Now I have the aux heater that warms the cars cooling system warming the engine but I don't use it every day just occasionally and I like to start my XC60 up and let it run for a few min to warm the oil to reduce engine wear but no more than 5 min. (I don't park on the street).

So I guess its a balance between warming it up to reduce wear and then driving it to burn off the crap.
What I am curious about is exactly how long idling is damaging given that you will eventually drive off burning off the crap.
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Magpie For This Useful Post:

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan