Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Auxiliary Belt (Serpentine Belt) & tensioner

Views : 6460

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2018, 16:51   #1
Anon Mouse

Angry D5 Auxiliary Belt (Serpentine Belt) & tensioner

The Serpentine belt came off and wrapped itself around the timing pulley and caused lots of damage to the point where currently the cylinder head + lots of other components are being replaced at a main dealer in West Yorkshire. Others experiencing this problem have faced a complete engine replacement.

I'm posting this as a warning to any other Volvo D5 engine owners as, following a bit of research via Google, I've found that this is an old Volvo problem that although subject to a recall in 2013 is still damaging later model cars. Mine was 2014 reg (2015 model). The main problem seems to be with the tensioner and from what I've read it is unwise to wait the recommended 100,000 miles to replace. The belt is supposed to be changed every 3 services but often seems to be missed and in any case does not seem to be the main cause of the problem. From my reading the only safe thing to do is when replacing the belt to also replace the belt tensioner.

Has anyone else gone through this experience?

There is another saga with the West Yorkshire dealership carrying out the work that might put anyone off buying a car from them or having a car serviced by them - possibly more about this later after I'm clear of them. It's certainly shaken my faith in Volvo to the point where I will not buy another.
Anon Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 20:19   #2
Peter86
Pete

I bought my V70 at 38,000, not from volvo, belt snapped at 42,000 miles. Luckily it just snapped and fell onto the under tray but it was full of splits around the ribbed edge. Had a new belt put on at the local garage but it kept squealing especially going up hills. My local volvo dealer replaced the tensioner free of charge and also put a genuine belt on. I will be doing it every 50,000 to be sure, if the belt has signs of cacks again I will be replacing that more regular. I think the belts and tensioner need upgrading.
Edit they should ensure the timing belt is completely guarded from being hit by snapped auxiliary belts.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Last edited by Peter86; Nov 8th, 2018 at 20:22.
Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter86 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 11:49   #3
Finbo

This is a well documented problem.
As you say it’s the auxiliary belt and tensioner that are the problem.
A lot of people don’t seem to follow the recommended guidelines for replacement.
Plus, there has been an historical recall on this too which some cars may have missed.
The cam belt needs to be changed every 108k or 10 years, but the auxiliary belt and tensioner is every 54k and this can get missed or misunderstood by owners/garages. It can be very confusing, especially if the recall was done at a different mileage which then throws the changes out of sync with 54k, 108k, etc.
Are you having to pay for the repair or is Volvo?
Finbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 16:42   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Mouse View Post
The Serpentine belt came off and wrapped itself around the timing pulley and caused lots of damage to the point where currently the cylinder head + lots of other components are being replaced at a main dealer in West Yorkshire. Others experiencing this problem have faced a complete engine replacement.

I'm posting this as a warning to any other Volvo D5 engine owners as, following a bit of research via Google, I've found that this is an old Volvo problem that although subject to a recall in 2013 is still damaging later model cars. Mine was 2014 reg (2015 model). The main problem seems to be with the tensioner and from what I've read it is unwise to wait the recommended 100,000 miles to replace. The belt is supposed to be changed every 3 services but often seems to be missed and in any case does not seem to be the main cause of the problem. From my reading the only safe thing to do is when replacing the belt to also replace the belt tensioner.

Has anyone else gone through this experience?

There is another saga with the West Yorkshire dealership carrying out the work that might put anyone off buying a car from them or having a car serviced by them - possibly more about this later after I'm clear of them. It's certainly shaken my faith in Volvo to the point where I will not buy another.
The Aux belt Must be changed every 54000 miles and it's tensioner with the cambelt etc at 108000 miles . always use volvo parts .Has this been carried out previously ?
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 08:18   #5
volvo for ever
Premier Member

I've reported this many times tilt belt is changed every 54k I've seen them snapping at 20k if it was mine I'd renew tilt belt every 2nd year,,I've seen cylinders heads wrecked and some case engines replaced

As for xc90 they do have problems too I've see idler bearings collapse 30k wrecking head xc90 to be fair are generally ok but do give belts faults
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 00:04   #6
jnmonaghan

2003 V70 D5 -- with 120000 miles

Have owned the V70 from new, and have never received the recall notice referred to in post 1-- ( issued in 2013)
What reference number does this recall have, so that I can take it up with SMW
the supplier of the car in 2003?
Both belts ,tensioners and idlers ,were changed at 89000 miles,using Volvo parts.
What work was involved in this recall?

Jude
jnmonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 07:16   #7
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The Aux belt Must be changed every 54000 miles and it's tensioner with the cambelt etc at 108000 miles . always use volvo parts .Has this been carried out previously ?
Don't care what volvo say I change the tensioner with the belt at 54,000 miles at the very extreme, I usually change at 5 year intervals which has never reached 50k to date.
The extra £50/60 for the tensioner is cheap insurance to my mind.
The tensioner is the documented weakness in the system, why would you fit a new belt and take a chance on the tensioner which probably caused the belt issue in the first place?

Paul.

Last edited by green van man; Nov 27th, 2018 at 07:26.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 09:58   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmonaghan View Post
2003 V70 D5 -- with 120000 miles

Have owned the V70 from new, and have never received the recall notice referred to in post 1-- ( issued in 2013)
What reference number does this recall have, so that I can take it up with SMW
the supplier of the car in 2003?
Both belts ,tensioners and idlers ,were changed at 89000 miles,using Volvo parts.
What work was involved in this recall?

Jude
Your car does not have any issues with the Aux belt , that started after 2007 when the belt and tensioner was modified to fit in the new shape V70 ..
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 23:13   #9
JoshTB94

Default Jb

Hello,
Althought ive had many volvos im new to this forum so if jumping on thiis thread as seen as a dick move im sorry but i really want to find the problem with my 2.4 d5 s60 (163bph) model if that makes a difference lol but its belt related so i found thos thread and thought maybe someone could help. The car is on 170,000 miles and honestly still drives like a charm, pulls well although i havent done thag much as i dont want to make anything worse haha. Its had plenty history amd he said the timing belt was done at 120k but i cant seem to find anything on that. Im hoping someone is able to tell by the noise whether its aux related or timing belt. It revs fine however whether in idle or in gear if u rev around the 1k revs theres a slight squeak/squeal which then goes away and is perfectly fine other than that. I still plan to get it fully serviced and both belts but short of money to do both belts at the same time so if anyone hear knows if its auxx or timin related or maybe something else? It would be appreciated as i love the car its my fav volvo and i want to sort it out,
Thanks, hears a link for help https://youtu.be/kMWTA9AsXRM
JoshTB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 21:00   #10
Peter86
Pete

My 2011 V70 has an occasional squeal, new aux belt and tensioner so dont know what it is. Timing belt is not due for another 40,000 or 3 years. Annoying but if it happens more reguarly I will be getting it checked out.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote