Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driver's side rear door suddenly refuses to unlock...

Views : 394

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2019, 22:34   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default Driver's side rear door suddenly refuses to unlock...

Hi all,
Just nipped out to my Torslanda to retrieve my partner's handbag, and found to my surprise that the driver's side rear door steadfastly refused to unlock...central locking was working everywhere else, but I couldn't even unlock the faulty door by pulling the knob up on the inside. Absolutely jammed.

Do any of you good folks have any ideas as to what might be causing this and how I can fix it?
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 21:53   #2
davidcheshire
VOC Member

I guess you've tried opening it by pulling simultaneously on both the interior handle and the knob.

Otherwise, can you get the interior trim off?

David.
davidcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 08:35   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Does it feel as if the mechanism is moving but the latch is stuck, or that the rods etc inside the door are stuck?

Defrost the latch bits on the outside?
Try squirting WD40 onto the catch wheel thing by the door post?
Wind the window down and aim WD40 at the area of the latch etc?
Pull the handle up outside and aim WD40 into the holes where the two attachments pass?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 09:59   #4
Angie
Premier Member

My passenger side rear door often won't open, though pressing against it from the outside will often free it, as if the latch, or whatever it's called, is jammed against the locking plate (or whatever it's called!) and needs to be released. Originally I thought the problem might have been the child safety lock, it isn't in this case but might be worth checking, it just could be that simple.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 19:32   #5
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Thanks all, I got to the bottom of it in the end...I managed to pry the button up using a pair of pliers with cardboard around the jaws to prevent damage. Having opened the door, I took the door card off and found everything working as it should...however, after cycling through several lock/unlock procedures with the door open, the same thing happened.

I eventually found that the lock actuator was periodically jamming into the locked position and refusing to move-totally locking up.

I disconnected the actuator so I can use it manually for the time being, and have ordered a secondhand actuator from the Bay (£8!) Which I will fit in due course.

Such a relief to have my door working again!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post: