Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Its arrived... few problems..

Views : 1333

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:55   #11
griston64
Premier Member

Sorry looking at pic wrong way. Dave is right. Downpipe is shot. I also had issues lower down on my downpipe and cat which caused my engine management light to come on

I ended up getting a complete new exhaust fitted as the rest of it was knackered.
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:57   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine40 View Post
The belt pulley seems to be stopping and starting.. power steering takes about 5 mins before working

https://youtu.be/X_46quByAyk

Tried the door trick but still no window.. however we can hear the motor working now !!
Have you checked the PAS fluid level? Belt is definitely slipping though!

Do you mean you can hear the motor running or trying to run? There's a subtle difference so may not be easy to distinguish between the two.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 13:03   #13
TonyS9
Premier Member

You can get a new flanged end for the down pipe, cost about £10. Cut the old one off weld in the new one. Its a good permanent repair as long as you get the right size, the most difficult bit to get is the clamp.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 13:10   #14
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Well. Plain speaking. SWMBO would say very clearly. The car you have received is significantly worse then described.

Above all please make very sure how bad it is before spendng money on it.

Was it a trade sale or was it [purporting to be] a private sale? Both trade and private sales have legally enforceable warranties, they are just different warranties.

Or you could shoulder the costs &c. that the seller is pleased to have rid themself of.

Ain't that the truth....

What is the distance? How much was a bus/coach fare to go and look at the car?

This is not Job's comforter. This is, wake up and deeply inhale the coffee. Get the best outcome you can now.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Feb 18th, 2019 at 13:16.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 13:11   #15
Nine40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Have you checked the PAS fluid level? Belt is definitely slipping though!

Do you mean you can hear the motor running or trying to run? There's a subtle difference so may not be easy to distinguish between the two.
I can hear it running but no window movement.
Nine40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nine40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 13:21   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I can hear it running but no window movement.
Then you need to remove the door card and see what's happening.

As mentioned above, the advert was indeed misleading, especially the "hole in the pipe" photo originally sent. I seem to recall it was also described as driving fine with no other known faults or similar so you may have a case for redress against the vendor.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 14:09   #17
kelvinp

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Indicator/sidelamp assemblies are interchangeable as regards orange/clear lenses but the indicator lamp-holders are different IIRC (different pin locations) so don't throw away the original ones!
No, the indicator/side lights assemblies are all different as I discovered, there's the original deep type and then there's later facelift and the twin head light type - these are not the same so you do need to check the part number.
kelvinp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kelvinp For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 14:14   #18
Nine40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Then you need to remove the door card and see what's happening.

As mentioned above, the advert was indeed misleading, especially the "hole in the pipe" photo originally sent. I seem to recall it was also described as driving fine with no other known faults or similar so you may have a case for redress against the vendor.
It drives and ticks over fine , there is few more bits that need doing than i was told but ive chatted to seller and got £50 so im happy with that.. does need a couple hoses changing once i know what the names are, and the pipe he said was split is as picture, i can do bits and pieces once i know what they are, im still happy with the car as itll give me something to do and a satisfaction of knowing i fixed it 👍🏻.. be good to keep another car on the road

Last edited by Nine40; Feb 18th, 2019 at 14:17.
Nine40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nine40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 14:35   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinp View Post
No, the indicator/side lights assemblies are all different as I discovered, there's the original deep type and then there's later facelift and the twin head light type - these are not the same so you do need to check the part number.
They certainly are - i discovered this with my 740s/760, some of the parts are shared with the 940 but then a whole new can of worms opened up because the 940 has so many different possibilities.

Old Feb 18th, 2019, 14:42   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It drives and ticks over fine , there is few more bits that need doing than i was told but ive chatted to seller and got £50 so im happy with that.. does need a couple hoses changing once i know what the names are, and the pipe he said was split is as picture, i can do bits and pieces once i know what they are, im still happy with the car as itll give me something to do and a satisfaction of knowing i fixed it 👍🏻.. be good to keep another car on the road
Well if you're happy with that then fine and fair enough.

It'll pay for a few bits, any help you need identify things, try to take pictures of the item then a couple more shots zooming out so to speak so we can see where the item actually lives - Volvo are notorious for changing the shape, size and sometimes even the colour of various bits that all do the same job!

Top tip for pics - use your phone/camera in "Landscape" mode, that way we get to see a bigger picture and not just a thin strip down the middle of the screen, some phones change automatically if you turn it on its side rather than holding it vertically, others you have to tell them by changing the mode to either Landscape or Auto.

Same goes for videos, then it's also easier for you to hold one end of the phone in each hand to keep it steadier as you're shooting the video.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: