Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P/S Pump swap - line thread depth

Views : 1084

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2022, 01:23   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
Fair point,Dave.
Aren't all manufacturers moving across to electric pumps?

My steering was the best yet on my recent holiday.Refurbished rack,replacement universal joint from a 960/V90 and a new set of boots.The tracking was also done with the rack.

By all accounts,the Americans seem to have worked out how to make their pas systems a lot easier for the driver than our systems.I wonder how they do that...
Errrr, yeah.......but no but yeah but................

They're going to electric motors on the actual column rather than an electrically powered hydraulic pump Shawn. From what i can work out, they're high torque stepper motors running through a reduction drive to the column, mechanically parallel to it. Because it's a stepper motor, it's going to be under microprocessor control and therefore capable of keeping up with however fast you can humanly turn the wheel so it's just down to the torque which it can alter electronically to give variable assistance.

The Americans tend to use higher pressure in their hydraulic systems than Volvo do, my other two beasties (Rover 827 Sterling and Jag S Type) were built for the USA market (the irony with the Rover is ARCoNA pulled the plug as the Mk2 was launched! ) and so have very light steering, certainly at parking speeds. Both also have variable assistance depending on speed so they firm up to almost no assistance at motorway speeds.

Granted the Volvo tends to be fairly firm at motorway speeds but isn't much lighter for parking, in fact it's quite a workout by comparison. I suppose it could be argued that Volvo built it to cope with icy roads where the steering feel could often be misconstrued as the wheels not gripping or even the other way round - you think the wheels are gripping but they're just turning in the direction they're aimed without altering the direction of the car.

You'd probably also find your steering a bit lighter if you'd renewed your strut top bearings at the same time as the other work, they also have a bearing (no pun intended!) on how heavy the steering feels.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 08:37   #12
J liddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J liddy View Post
I had same problem it was air in system it cured its self but took weeks . I changed the pump but made no difference air in the system system is a bugger to get rid of
This time everything OK but I've got it back from MOT few times in the past with a vibration on steering .years ago that was
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 11:42   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J liddy View Post
This time everything OK but I've got it back from MOT few times in the past with a vibration on steering .years ago that was
I've had that too Jim, hence my question - i've come to the conclusion it's when they're inspection the front suspension joints and steering rack and turn the direction of the wheel using the roadwheels rather than the steering wheel - forcing the PAS to oeprate almost backwards and introducing air where it shouldn't be.
On'y seems to be a problem on the Volvo though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 11:43   #14
SwannyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
It looks like the design is to seal on the end of the pipe with an "O" ring or something like that. Was there any thing like this that came out of the old pump. Has the new pump got the seal in the port where the pipe fits.
There's no I rings, this is the old pump;

This is the new pump;

Nothing on the hard line.

I'm assuming it's the end of the hard line fitting butting up against the flange you can see within the pump which is supposed to seal it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220924_094224556.jpg (177.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220924_095525005.jpg (124.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220924_095616796.jpg (156.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220924_102359425.jpg (156.3 KB, 32 views)
SwannyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwannyUK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 13:54   #15
SwannyUK

Well I followed the advice and managed to get it seated properly to stop and leaks. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Unfortunately it still judders when turning corners, so I'm going to have to work out a way to more effectively bleed the system!

On the plus side - the pulley lines up now.
SwannyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwannyUK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 14:36   #16
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Jack up the front end and keep turning it lock to lock slowly but progressively getting faster, see if that does the trick.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 15:19   #17
lynns hubby
Master Member

Thats good news well done.
As said on the last post Jack it up and with the engine running, progressively turn steering lock to lock.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 10:00   #18
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Level of assistance

Quote:
By all accounts,the Americans seem to have worked out how to make their pas systems a lot easier for the driver than our systems.I wonder how they do that...
The level of assistance is not determined by the maximum hydraulic pressure, but by the control system in the steering rack itself. When you turn the steering wheel against the left or right lock, you can feel a spring load being built up in the last degree or so. This is actually a spring in the pressure controlling system. The more resistance the steering wheel gets from the wheels, the further this spring will be compressed, the higher the hydraulic pressure will be and as a result the higher the steering assistance will be. At full lock the spring is fully compressed and hydraulic pressure will be maximum, hence the slipping of the belt when not tight enough. Take a softer spring and the power assistance will be higher. Without a spring it will always be maximum, but you would feel some play in the steering. Replace the spring by a very stiff one and the assistance will be almost zero. It is from the degree of torsional deflection that the control system determines the hydraulic pressure. It is probably less simple than just replacing a spring, but this is in theory how the PAS works.

It is not a matter of increasing the hydraulic pressure. During normal driving the pressure is (almost) zero. During steering the pressure will only be a s high as needed for steering, determined by the caracteristics of the spring.

Rob
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:

Tags
power steering, pump, steering