Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PS Steering judder pt3

Views : 1748

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2022, 23:12   #21
Ross 63
Breaks things

Have you tried some seal conditioner in the fluid? It transformed mine from borderline un-drivable to absolutely perfect. Worn rack seals would be my guess for both mine and yours:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182746594587
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 16:42   #22
SwannyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
On a slightly different note, the seam where the inner wing joins the chassis member is starting to bubble with rust. Best caught early, wire brush it then use something like Jenolite or Kurust to convert the rust and then get some paint on it - Kurust is fairly liquid, apply it generously so it runs down between the inner wing and chassis member to bits you can't get at. It's a common place for all 7/9xx to rust but once prevented it should last a good few years more.
Thanks! I'm planning on getting on that come spring while I get some welding done at the front of the front arches. I'm so glad there's loads of space in these engine bays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Looks like it is rusting below the bonnet release cable grommet too, a common rot spot that allows water in to the footwell.
Which grommet is that on the picture, I can't see for looking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 63 View Post
Have you tried some seal conditioner in the fluid? It transformed mine from borderline un-drivable to absolutely perfect. Worn rack seals would be my guess for both mine and yours:

I have not tried it, but it might be worth a punt. Ta!
SwannyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwannyUK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 17:16   #23
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've circled the rust for you, the grommet is a bit more up and to the left on the bulkhead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg markup_1976645169.jpg (96.5 KB, 9 views)
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 19:42   #24
SwannyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I've circled the rust for you, the grommet is a bit more up and to the left on the bulkhead.
Ah gotcha, thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 18:46   #25
SwannyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 63 View Post

Well, I think we have a winner. The instructions say to top up the reservoir as it loses fluids, but it really doesnt leak, so I extracted some of the fluid with a large syringe, and liberally added the product.

I took it for a drive, found a carpark and drove left lock, right lock in figures of 8's, and as I did it it eliminated all the judder. I think we can safely say that the issue is with the rack, and while this temporary measure is mighty impressive, I'll take a look at a replacement in due time.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 18:51   #26
Ross 63
Breaks things

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwannyUK View Post
Well, I think we have a winner. The instructions say to top up the reservoir as it loses fluids, but it really doesnt leak, so I extracted some of the fluid with a large syringe, and liberally added the product.

I took it for a drive, found a carpark and drove left lock, right lock in figures of 8's, and as I did it it eliminated all the judder. I think we can safely say that the issue is with the rack, and while this temporary measure is mighty impressive, I'll take a look at a replacement in due time.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Great result. The lucas conditioner is amazing stuff. Mine's still going strong.
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 17:07   #27
SwannyUK

Further to the conditioner, I've had 4 new tyres, and the rare occurrence of judder has become even rarer. I'll need a new rack at some point, but it goes to show all the things that can contribute to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwannyUK For This Useful Post:

Tags
power steering, steering