Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driveshaft OEM alternatives?

Views : 641

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2023, 18:56   #1
Bgxc90

Default Driveshaft OEM alternatives?

Hi

I have a failed offside driveshaft and Volvo want 908 for a new one which on an 07 with 150k doesn’t sit well with me. Also the lead time is unknown coming from Sweden

Has anyone managed to source in the uk alternative suppliers? ECP AND GSF both drawn blanks

Part number in question is 36001218 and any help gratefully received
Bgxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2023, 19:21   #2
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

https://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/

You could try these perhaps?

I've had many things from them over the years, driveshafts, cv joints, abs rings etc and never had an issue.

Pop your registration into the website and see if they have what you need.
azzledazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to azzledazzle For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 08:18   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

+1 for J&R.

Another point would be I think Volvo only supply complete driveshaft assemblies, it is possible to buy and replace individual joint, again J&R are a good source, or try a second hand shaft?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 14:19   #4
mr tickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
+1 for J&R.

Another point would be I think Volvo only supply complete driveshaft assemblies, it is possible to buy and replace individual joint, again J&R are a good source, or try a second hand shaft?
My front reluctor rings are rusty and now throwing abs faults. my local garage says that new driveshafts are £240 each.

1) I've bought things from J&R over the years they have been great, however they are showing that you can buy just the rings, Is it easier to replace just the rings or the whole shaft, seems a waste otherwise? Also if you replace the rings only how are they attached to the hub, just push on?

2) J&R are showing 3 different listings for the MK1 do they vary?

3) I realise from searches that sometimes the hub doesnt separate from the shaft easily, so it may be better to replace the whole shaft. is this an easy job i.e. after disconnecting the bottom ball joint just pull off the old one and pop in the new one?
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!

Last edited by mr tickle; Feb 15th, 2024 at 14:26.
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 14:25   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tickle View Post
My front reluctor rings are rusty and now throwing abs faults. my local garage says that new driveshafts are £240 each.

1) I've bought things from J&R over the years they have been great, however they are showing that you can buy just the rings, Is it easier to replace just the rings or the whole shaft, seems a waste otherwise? Also if you replace the rings only how are they attached to the hub, just push on?

3) I realise from searches that sometimes the hub doesnt separate from the shaft easily, so it may be better to replace the whole shaft. is this an easy job i.e. just pull off the old one and pop in the new one?
your volvo dealer will supply the correct ring for your car...
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 17:27   #6
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

Quote:

3) I realise from searches that sometimes the hub doesnt separate from the shaft easily, so it may be better to replace the whole shaft. is this an easy job i.e. after disconnecting the bottom ball joint just pull off the old one and pop in the new one?

If you have vida that may tell you which rings you need. I think it's something to do with the amount of teeth on the ring which is why there are 3 varieties. But at their prices you could just buy them all. I changed mine last year due to one splitting from rust and throwing intermittent anti skid warning on the dash. It was a really easy job. The old ones just disintegrated and came off no issues. Putting the new ones on was as easy as baking it in the oven for half hour then tapping it on to the shaft before it cools. Much cheaper than a replacement driveshaft.
azzledazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 12:37   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:

I would say it is easier to replace the ring than the whole shaft, much easier. The rings are an "interference fit" you just drive them on.

Not sure if they vary on the XC90, this is the advantage of buying from a dealer, you will get the correct part. Or you could just buy all three from J&R...

If the spline is siezed into the hub, you will have to overcome that regardless of whether you are replacing just the ring or the whole shaft.

When changing front ABS rings (and I did one last night on a C70) I generally remove the two bolts holding the brake caliper to the hub and tie that up (do not disconnect the hose)(This is not absolutely necessary but gives much better access). Then put the steering on full lock so the track rod at the side of the car where the faulty ring is extended the most. Next, loosen the driveshaft bolt and give it a tap to start it on its way, then remove the bolt, then remove the two bolts holding the hub to the strut. Unclip the ABS sensor cable to give as much slack in it as you can get. You can then usually tilt the hub forward enough to pull the shaft out of the hub. Remove the old ring, tidy up the CV joint with a wire brush, grease lightly the new ring and tap it on using many many light taps with a drift rather than welly it.... You should replace the driveshaft bolt with a new one as it's a stretch one.

I'd expect an hour if doing it for the first time.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Feb 16th, 2024 at 12:44.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 11:49   #8
mr tickle

Thanks for the Info
Volvo wanted around the £60 each + postage, so I have purchased 3 from J&R and I'll see how i go on. Weather permitting I'll have a go the next few evenings.
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 10:53   #9
mr tickle

I have removed the abs rings but there was a plastic cover ring over the top of the old ones? I assume it's a dust or rain guard. The new rings are the correct type and size. Question is I don't think I need the plastic covers will it be OK without?
I think the reason they were rusted away in the first place is that the plastic cover holds on more water than if they weren't there on the first place.