Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.0d to 1.8petrol

Views : 1014

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2011, 22:49   #1
jason77
Monkey

Default 2.0d to 1.8petrol

Alrighty,

I currently have a 2.0d and have had it for 3 years.
It's now coming up for it's 72k service and I'm gonna trade it in for a newer one as I can't stomach the £1k+ service cost (DPF etc)

The fuel economy has been crap... But that may be due to it's very regular short journeys, 4 miles to work, 4 miles back every day with the odd 500 mile trip.
I could put up with the mileage and get a non DPF 2.0d but they seem rather scarce.

My thinking now is to move to the 1.8 petrol v50, so only changing engine type.
What's the typical mileage I can expect out of a tankful on the 1.8 (we know real life milage differs from book mileage)
What common problems do I need to look out for?

Thanks for any tips in advance

J
jason77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 23:14   #2
Volvophile
Premier Member

It makes sense to change from a diesel if you are doing low mileage, as there is simply too much to go wrong with them these days as a result of regular short journeys. Anything you'll save in fuel will be wiped out when something big like the DPF or DMF packs in.

The main issues I've heard with the 1.8 petrol models are alternators going. Apparently though it is the same part as the one used in the Ford Focus and can be got for significantly cheaper as a result.
Volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 06:56   #3
SpeedyReedy
VOC Member

My commute to work is 6 miles each way and various local trips are often the same I seem to regularly fill up every 310 miles.
Did a long haul up to Skye last month 1500 miles (there and back and days out) on just over 4 tanks fuel.
S40 1.8i 1999 2002 - 2010
340 1.4 1991 1994 - 2002

Last edited by SpeedyReedy; Jun 8th, 2011 at 06:58.
SpeedyReedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 11:15   #4
EndhooS

interesting....

Ive just bought a 2.0D S40 and i do pretty similar mileage daily as you. however i just *fancied* a diesel as i've only ever had petrol motors. its also on almost 73k miles. didn't know of this DPF issue until it was too late unfortunately.

a lot has been written on this forum about how the shorter mileages can play havoc. so in the opinion of fellow drivers how often should i be taking it for a decent blast to blow the cobwebs out of the system and clear the DPF? the last thing i want is to regularly find myself in the dreaded 'limp home mode' that i've read so much about.

EndhooS
EndhooS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 19:50   #5
jason77
Monkey

My current v50 is a 55reg and had it since 20k miles and 1.5 yrs old, so had that about 4 yrs now.

So far the issues I have had included the dreaded alternator @ 50k miles... That was 700 quid down the pan for a new one, front wheel bearing at 55k, then I had a DPF pressure sensor go recently at about 68k miles. I don't think that was uber expensive. But all in it's cost me about a grand in failures.
So apart from servicing and the usual costs of tyres and brakes etc, it's not been cheap. My old s60 only required servicing and consumables over the three years I Owned that.

So I am unfortunately aware of the alternator issues

Rising fuel costs just with the short mileage really doesn't make it economical to stick with the diesel. The servicing costs of the DPF system euro 4 stylee really blows goats.

I get on average similar mileage on my normal driving, about 320 to a tank full. I don't drive like a loon, but do use the turbo a wee bit... Why buy a turbo car otherwise?
On a long haul I can be gentle and get about 430 out of a tank.

In my eyes, similar milage out of a tank, for cheap fuel ( unleaded) the petrol option makes more and more sense

Last edited by jason77; Jun 8th, 2011 at 19:54.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 19:57   #6
jason77
Monkey

Endhoos,

I'd say if you blast it at the weekends you'll be fine.
I've not had any issues at all that would be attributed to DPF over clogging that's my pattern of keeping it clean
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 23:42   #7
jasonb
In the mood for change!

I have a 1.8 as well and all that's gone wrong are the usual Volvo gremlins that are easy to fix.
You know the door/window issues or the Odd computer hic-up.

When driving modern rental cars of sub 1yr old, I do realise the lack in power on my 1.8 and the heavy clutch pedal.

Fuel economy isn't wonderful but manageable at around 28-31mpg on short trips.

I am very very happy with my 1.8 all in, and I'd buy another tomorrow :-)
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 10:26   #8
EndhooS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason77 View Post
Endhoos,

I'd say if you blast it at the weekends you'll be fine.
I've not had any issues at all that would be attributed to DPF over clogging that's my pattern of keeping it clean
Nice swan matey, i've been trying to squeeze that answer out of a few posts in the last week or so just to put my mind at ease. i'll be putting the turbo to good use on the weekends hence forth me thinks.
EndhooS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 12:23   #9
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

With the 2.0d just use the performance of the vehicle, and drop down a lower gear on the motorway and cruise at that.

4th gear at 4.5krpm = 109mph

Blast it down the motorway once a week and dont go any higher than 4th.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote