Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

123GT Amazon: Swerves to the right when braking

Views : 841

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2020, 17:03   #1
greaserleo

Default 123GT Amazon: Swerves to the right when braking

1968 Volvo Amazon 123GT
Right Hand Drive.
When driving if i take my hands off the steering wheel it will veer off gradually towards the right.
If I apply the brakes it seriously swerves to the right (unless I keep hold of the steering wheel).
I've raised the front wheels and they felt ok, perhaps a slight feeling of movement if turned all the way to the left or right, but cant tell if that's normal or not.
I replaced the Idler arm bush with a fancy steel and brass thing that I was hoping would rectify the issues. Feels better now but it's not solved it.
The tie rod ends felt fine.
Wondering if the brakes may not be working properly, perhaps there is air in the line on the left hand side, so the right piston is grabbing stronger and creating the swerve when braking, and the general tracking maybe off causing the gradual veering off when under normal driving?
I also have some replacement poly bushes for the rear torque arms and the pan hard rod but not yet installed.

Another thing which is odd is when Im going in a straight line the steering wheel is about 45 degrees off/turned anti clockwise but when stationary with wheels in the air the steering wheel looks to be in the correct position?

Advice Appreciated.

*I've also replaced the steering column bushes with new poly (the steering improved (less shopping cart) but the above issues continued as per before.
greaserleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 17:29   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

A mate was telling us last night of a story when he bought a P1800 and it did the same thing with the brakes. One calliper wasn’t working and was full of manky brake fluid. If one isn’t working bleed it and see if it makes a difference.

Toe in is probably out. Check the steering and tie rods aren’t bent. A rough check can be done with a tape measure between the inside tyres. Check what the spec is but think it might be about 1mm toe in. Do you have to really steer the car to keep it straight?
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 17:33   #3
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

A few pics is always helpful. They have to be lower res to upload to the forum though.
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 17:41   #4
greaserleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Do you have to really steer the car to keep it straight?
I have to keep my hands on the steering wheel, not so much steering to keep it straight but lightly holding it in place or else it veers off towards the right.
If I apply the brakes it will make a definite swerve to the right.
greaserleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 20:45   #5
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaserleo View Post
I have to keep my hands on the steering wheel, not so much steering to keep it straight but lightly holding it in place or else it veers off towards the right.
If I apply the brakes it will make a definite swerve to the right.
Check your tie and steering rods. I had a bent one which caused it to steer off to one side.

I imagine something is wrong with the left brake, most likely calliper not working.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 08:27   #6
Underdrive

An important thing to know is if this problem has appeared suddenly or gradually or did you buy the car like this? Also the cause may not be at the front but caused by a problem with rear suspension/brakes.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Underdrive For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 08:41   #7
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdrive View Post
An important thing to know is if this problem has appeared suddenly or gradually or did you buy the car like this? Also the cause may not be at the front but caused by a problem with rear suspension/brakes.
Yeah that's a very good point. It's also probably a good idea to get a reputable shop to have a good look over things especially if you've just bought the car.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 10:24   #8
norustplease

The braking issue is possibly either a partially seized calliper or a blocked flexible. Suggest that you replace both sides. Most likely I would have thought, to be a partially blocked flexible that inhibits fluid flow to that side and means that the brake on the opposite side starts to work harder, sooner. I assume that you have also checked that the brakes actually release fully on the side that it drifts towards?
Tracking to one side or another 'hands off' could be a range of things. Drift to the left is usually down to road camber in the UK, so drift towards the crown of the road has to be something physically wrong with steering/ suspension. I assume that you have checked for broken springs, etc.? Steering geometry is the obvious place to go, but check your tyre condition and pressures as a starting point.
norustplease is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norustplease For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 11:06   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

+1 to all that has been said so far. Bad calliper with one or more sticking pucks. Check the alignment. Wandering and vague steering can be caused by the steering box being adjusted a bit too tight. If tight it doesn't allow the steering to self centre properly. A warped disc can cause the car to go to that side. Warping can be caused by a sticking calliper so you could have gone full circle.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 13:51   #10
blueosprey90
Master Member

You probably have more than one problem, but check your tire pressure. An underinflated front tire will cause swerve on braking.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:

Tags
steering, swerving, tracking